Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What vitamins and supplements do you still take?

I am 8 years out, and I am just wondering what Vitamins you all still take. I currently take Bariatric Fusion chewable Multivitamins, Iron gluconate, D3, B12 injections, and psyllium husks.

I had to have an iron infusion a couple years ago, my surgeon says I don’t absorb iron sulfate anymore. So dealing with a normal MD was not helping my iron rise.

I also have a Vitamin D deficiency and B12 also. Another problem I’ve had is with my Fiber intake, so the only thing that helps me is the psyllium. My labs are finally where they need to be.

I’ve just been wondering where others are at and what is still important. I’m 8 years out of RNY and finally feel like I’ve figured it out for my body.

4 years 3 months out. I'm taking:

2 generic equivalent of Centrum Silver

2000 mg calcium citrate (I have osteoporosis, thus, 2000 mg)

800 mg magnesium

D3

K2

B complex

carbonyl Iron (with a couple of chewable Vitamin C tablets)

a megadose of sublingual B12 once every two weeks

Thank you @catwoman7, it’s good to see you know what works for your body. I was thinking of starting calcium citrate again since I was put on a new med that says may decrease my Calcium levels after a couple years of taking.

My understanding is that there is never an "end" when we won't need Vitamins post op.

I'm 18months out from RNY. I take:

2 Celebrate Multi-Capsules

6 Celebrate calcium citrate (1500mg)

500mg B12

50mg B-Complex (low B6 and B1)

35mg Bifera Iron (HIP & PIC) every other day

2000mg D3

400mg Magcitrate

17g Clearlax

10g Psyllium husks

250mg Colace

40mg Omeprazole

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

4 years 3 months out. I'm taking:

2 generic equivalent of Centrum Silver

2000 mg calcium citrate (I have osteoporosis, thus, 2000 mg)

800 mg magnesium

D3

K2

B complex

carbonyl Iron (with a couple of chewable Vitamin C tablets)

a megadose of sublingual B12 once every two weeks

Catwoman, would you mind sharing which type of K2 and dosage please? I have been wanting to add this in so that I'm more assured the Calcium is going to my bones rather than my heart and arteries! But I just know so little about it. :(

I have a sublingual (Superior Source), but you don't have to take K2 sublingually - a tablet will do. I just try to take some of my Vitamins sublingually because I get tired of swallowing pills (and I'm not sure I'd recommend Superior Source's sublingual K2 anyway - it's too sweet. I like their sublingual vitamins D and B12, though)

I take 100 mcg, which is the standard dosage

btw, this one is MK-7. It's supposedly easier to absorb than the other versions of K2.

Edited by catwoman7

4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I have a sublingual (Superior Source), but you don't have to take K2 sublingually - a tablet will do. I just try to take some of my Vitamins sublingually because I get tired of swallowing pills (and I'm not sure I'd recommend Superior Source's sublingual K2 anyway - it's too sweet. I like their sublingual Vitamins D and B12, though)

I take 100 mcg, which is the standard dosage

btw, this one is MK-7. It's supposedly easier to absorb than the other versions of K2.

Thanks!! I will look at vitacost and see what they have in MK-7 100mcg! I get confused by the MK-4 and MK-7 stuff!!!

On 9/4/2019 at 9:47 PM, KaysMommy said:

I am 8 years out, and I am just wondering what Vitamins you all still take. I currently take Bariatric Fusion chewable Multivitamins, Iron gluconate, D3, B12 injections, and psyllium husks.

I had to have an Iron infusion a couple years ago, my surgeon says I don’t absorb iron sulfate anymore. So dealing with a normal MD was not helping my iron rise.

I also have a Vitamin D deficiency and B12 also. Another problem I’ve had is with my Fiber intake, so the only thing that helps me is the psyllium. My labs are finally where they need to be.

I’ve just been wondering where others are at and what is still important. I’m 8 years out of RNY and finally feel like I’ve figured it out for my body.

I'm 8 yrs out lapband patient and getting ready to revise to VSG. I am still taking women's multi-vitamins. That's it, nothing else. Continued success on your journey.