Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet and cheating

I cheated :( on day 9 of my pre op and I have cheated 3 days out of the 9. Let me explain. My 2 week pre op diet consists of 2 Protein Shakes a day, lean cuisine for dinner, tossed salad, and 100 cal Snacks in between in meal. I felt lucky, because that seems easier than most. I did great the first few days, I lost 5 lbs. I cheated literally 1 day (not even like a bad cheat) and I gained 3 lbs!! One day I cheated by eating 5 meatballs and literally binged on chips, m&ms. We had a cookout, I ate... that’s all I ate that day though. I had 2 pieces of pizza and 5 chicken nuggets last night. I have 4 days left and I’m going to stick, no matter what. Than I thought, well if you can’t do this pre op diet, you can never stick to your lifestyle change after surgery... not true. I’m giving myself such a hard time. Now I’m afraid my liver will be too big and my surgeon won’t preform the surgery. Did anyone else cheat? What should I do?

You have four days left, you have to keep to your meal plan otherwise your liver won’t be in good enough shape. You can sustain anything for four days! Think of how empowering it feels to win, over food! You are stronger then any craving

Not that I think cheating is good... but I stuck to my (more restrictive) pre op diet religiously, and my liver was still big. They had to use a bigger tool and I ended up with two more incisions, but they were able to do it. Luckily my surgeon believed me that I stuck to my diet. I was really disappointed about it.

I don't know how high your BMI is but mine was SO HIGH, I was terrified of them calling the surgery off due to size of my liver (which my surgeon makes clear to all patients..well, at least the ones my size..that he might have to do).

I was terrified of cheating, terrified of the surgery getting called off (and the embarrassment with my boss and family when I have to figure out "how do I manage this delay?"). My family would know as they were waiting for me so there would be no keeping that quiet.

I also had the other thoughts that you've experienced, the 'if you can't do pre-op, how can you handle this whole lifestyle change' I DO KNOW there have been others who post on here that had some cheat days, then finally committed hard core to the rest of their pre-op...so I honestly don't know what to say except to encourage you to do the same.

@KarenLR75 my BMI is 54.7 I believe so pretty high. My surgeon hasn’t mentioned anything to me about calling it off due to the size of my liver or anything. I do have “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease” which I believe most morbidly obese people have. Mine is mild if I remember correctly. Either way, I will do better and hope everything works out on Monday.

If we could give up food that easy, no one would be big and there would be no need for weight loss surgery. It’s a tool to help with smaller portions, which lead to healthier choices.... eventually, no or minimum bad cravings. So, I don’t try to beat myself up too bad. I’m sure surgeons realize that people will cheat. How can we not? If you don’t, please share some will power :)

I was recently revised from VSG to RNY at my goal weight. So when the surgeon said I needed to do a pre op diet I was pretty resistant and questioned why constantly.

He said they place everyone on the preop. The reason he gave was to shrink the liver by ridding it from excess fat making it easier to mobilize and more pliable so it doesn't crack/tear/break.

I was confused: how do you break a liver? He likened a fatty live to a marblized piece of beef and the fat makes it stiff/vunerable during retraction. It will be handled alot during surgery.

I begrudgingly followed my 2 week diet (except 1 day) because i didn't want any extra issues

Good Luck with the rest of your preop 💜

I too have been horrible about my pre-op diet. I am having surgery on Monday. I plan to be good from this moment forward.

I saw my surgeon on Thursday, I told her how I have been doing on the diet and she said "try to lose 5 more pounds, that will really help".

Exactly. We can do this! OMG, Monday!

My surgeon explained it and so did another doctor that was originally my surgeon is that they literally have to move your liver out of the way for part/all of the surgery. BOTH surgeons expressed concerns about nicking patients with larger livers as us just having larger livers makes things much more difficult.

What I want for both of you, @brandimichellexo and @NagathaChristieis is that you have successful surgeries with positive outcomes and hopefully little to no difficulties. I wish this for everyone who undergoes what I call the 'nuclear detonation option'. WLS is not for wimps that is for sure.

WLS is NOT the 'easy way out' no matter how often we might all hear that. I takes COURAGE and commitment, bravery, perseverance, will power, 'higher power', power of good relationships, and sometimes literally blood, sweat, tears, puke, and many many other things. I also think fear when not used in unhealthy ways, can also help keep us on the path we need to go and when we stumble, help us get back to where we need to be.

My surgeon had an UBER strict pre-op diet. I also changed surgeons late so I literally ended up doing liquid 800 pre-op diet for 34 days. I've shared though that I did actually have 1 day 'off' during the 34 days. My new surgeon told me to start on 7/5 so I had 7/4 off & I had 1/2 a hamburger, no chips & later that night 1 hot dog. I had been on liquids already for so many days, it felt surreal and weird.

Prior to qualifying for WLS, I did Keto for 15 mos as my health had deteriorated to point that I knew if I didn't make drastic changes and also do the headwork, I was not going to be here in 5 yrs. Ironically despite my heaviest weight, I had normal BP, NO high cholesterol, NO diabetes, etc. I knew though it was a matter of time. It was WHEN, not IF. I have other very serious health issues& realized that I wasn't ready to die any more prematurely than I needed to. I have a daughter who really really still needs her Mom. More than what most young adults do.

I was TERRIFIED that if I did not commit my best to the pre-op, I would put a variable out there (my liver) that my surgeon would not be in complete control of. The 1 thing I told him & my anesthesiologist and that was "I'm at peace with not making it, if that should happen, but my wishes are that you do everything and anything to revive me as I have a child that would not make it through my loss'.

So..I didn't cheat as I was terrified. Also, WAY back in my late 20's, I did the Oprah Winfrey "Optifast Diet' and drank 5 of those dang Protein Shakes (they were so bad back then) for NINETY DAYS. Don't ask me how I did it back then as I literally don't know!! I lost 80 lbs and kept if off for a decade. My Dad was known for having an Iron will when he needed to. Likely that is what I had back when I was young.

When I count pre-op& post-op diet together (in terms of liquid diet with 800 or less cals), then I roughly did over 46+ days (Dr put me on pureed food 3 days earlier than planned).

This does not make me better than either of you. I shared the raw truth of why I adhered to the pre-op diet like there was literally no tomorrow. If I have an 'will' to give at all, is to spend some time on FluffyChix headwork thread....and that I wish you both nothing but the best. Love yourself (and your surgeon..lol) enough to do what you can with your pre-op diets as dictated by your doctors with the days you have left leading up to your surgery.

And keep us posted!! BEST WISHES!!

Edited by KarenLR75

@KarenLR75 Even thought I didn’t ace my pre op diet, I quit caffeine, smoking and soda. Quit fast food, and overall bad choices I used to make. I’m happy. I went back and check my abdomen scan and my surgeon didn’t post any concerns and my liver was normal size. Despite my size, I don’t have diabetes, high blood pressure or anything either. I’m 24, so I guess age is on my side. My family keeps reassuring me I’ll be okay. I worry about every little thing. Thanks for the prayers ♥️ will keep posted.

16 minutes ago, brandimichellexo said:

@KarenLR75 Even thought I didn’t ace my pre op diet, I quit caffeine, smoking and soda. Quit fast food, and overall bad choices I used to make. I’m happy. I went back and check my abdomen scan and my surgeon didn’t post any concerns and my liver was normal size. Despite my size, I don’t have diabetes, high blood pressure or anything either. I’m 24, so I guess age is on my side. My family keeps reassuring me I’ll be okay. I worry about every little thing. Thanks for the prayers ♥️ will keep posted

See - you have many victories! You can ABSOLUTELY do this. It also takes bravery to be honest on a WLS forum about cheating. I admire your honesty.

I hovered on these forums since late in 2017 and didn't actively post until April of this year (2019) so I have seen many many ppl just start to give things up (cigarettes, caffeine, soda, carbs, etc.) at the start of their pre-op diets and I always feel for them as it can be a bit overwhelming especially if they start to feel what some call the low carb/keto flu.

Yes, you are close to my youngest's age so age is on your side which is GREAT!!

Please don't think I was giving you a failing grade on your pre-op diet or trying to judge you. The only thing that kept me on mine was being older and like I said...being scared. That does not make me better than you.

And I always, always defer to a person's individual doctor unless a poster posts something that sounds hideously.um..dangerous.

You WILL be ok! I do hope you can do whatever his/her directions are for the rest of your pre-op (I say this as I couldn't drink anything after 10 PM the night before (so not even 'liquids' on my liquid pre-op) as I was up first at 6 AM the next day as it will also help prepare you a little bit for post-op...without the feelings from having had anesthesia, and some of the bloating and gas pains you may or may not have to deal with.

Most of the ppl that I have participated on their topics that have cheated, I'd say about 95+% of them go on to sticking to whatever their pre-op plan was and they took pride in that even though it wasn't 'the whole time'...meaning they didn't have to be perfect, they could take pride in what they did do.

Focus on what you can do from here on out. No matter what happens in the next few days though, I AM rooting for you! Us women are STRONG. Whether we are 24, 34, 44, 54, 64, 74, or 84+...we are STRONG.

Edited by KarenLR75

It is interesting to hear everyone's pre-op stories. I just had my surgery last Thursday and had to go through a nutritional program before but not as stricked as many of you listed above. My dr. never even spoke to me about liver size. Now I am worried!

The only requirement I needed before my surgery was 3 days of liquids before.

My surgeon says liquids only for the preop diet so shakes must become your best friend also because you're on liquids post op as well for a while.

I've started my own high Protein diet before my preop just to shed some lbs.

Cut out all fat and sugar and carbs. Gave up energy drinks and all junk food and count calories everyday.

I've found with high protein I'm full quicker and for longer and already shed 20lbs in 8 days, I get that it was mostly Water weight at first so it will get harder as the weeks go by but I'm doing everything in my power so that when I go see the surgeon next he will be impressed with me.

I feel it is better to get into the routine of diet change before surgery otherwise you will suffer post op with falling off the plan and in turn causing yourself issues with getting the best results.

We see all kinds of people with all kinds of results and if you ask those who lost 100lbs in 6 months it will most likely be that they were strict on themselves from the start.

If you're having trouble adjusting you might benefit from seeing a bariatric psychologist or nutritionist to help you.

Good luck everyone.

I cheated several times during my pre-op diet but made sure the be super strict the last 4 days and my liver was perfect.