Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you tell if a food is not going to be your friend.

I'm just exploring new foods and tried tuna yesterday. It tasted great and went down just fine, but this morning I couldn't leave the bathroom for about an hour. I had the runs really bad. Does that mean that tuna should be off my food list? I know some folks will get nauseous or throw up, but does it also cause diarrhea if it is a food you shouldn't eat? Not eating tuna today will be waiting for some sage advice.

How much mayo or Salad Dressing did you eat with it?

I usually tested food 2 or 3 times. If it caused it, I'd go back a stage for a couple days. Then reintroduce the food all by itself. I'd eat known "OK" foods the rest of that day. Then if it causes it again, it's likely the tuna. You can try different brands, different processors, etc...

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

How much mayo or Salad Dressing did you eat with it?

I usually tested food 2 or 3 times. If it caused it, I'd go back a stage for a couple days. Then reintroduce the food all by itself. I'd eat known "OK" foods the rest of that day. Then if it causes it again, it's likely the tuna. You can try different brands, different processors, etc...

No mayo or Salad Dressing. Just Tuna with a touch of cold-pressed olive oil. I use that to keep my good cholesterol up. I've already had the olive oil. I thought the tuna tasted great and was looking forward to it today. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

No mayo or Salad Dressing. Just tuna with a touch of cold-pressed olive oil. I use that to keep my good cholesterol up. I've already had the olive oil. I thought the tuna tasted great and was looking forward to it today. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Ok, so you had the same amount of EVOO as this time? Then it could be the tuna. :( Sorry.

You could try pureeing it a bit finer, too. If something makes me sick, I avoid it for a while because it brings back bad memories LOL. Eventually I will usually try it again unless it made me extremely ill (super foamies and super nausea and vomiting for an hour) and then I just cross it off my list. It helps me with denser Proteins to smother them with some kind of dressing or sauce. That's the only way I can eat chicken or fish at all. And even then.. risky.

Edited by mousecat88

I would expect some diarrhoea at this stage with introducing foods as your bowel has been resting since pre op. Any food we eat now can cause peristalsis to kick in a bit fast and then cause diarrhoea. As already stated try again at a later date and you may well find once your bowel is working properly again you won't get problems the next day :)

GET THE FOAMIES PRETTY FAST FROM FOODS THAT DONT WORK AND YOU ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

I have not thrown up once since surgery. I did vomit bile a few weeks after, but was gagging from brushing my teeth. I'm 6 months post-op and just ate chicken salad 15 minutes ago and I measured 1/2 cup and I feel like I'm dying ill. I need to go back to 1/3 cup. meat, even tuna, I can't eat a lot of. It may get better for you in time, don't rule it out just yet.

Edited by gabybab

1 hour ago, gabybab said:

I measured 1/2 cup and I feel like I'm dying ill. I need to go back to 1/3 cup. meat, even tuna, I can't eat a lot of.

I'm in my 6th week out so am not even close to where you are at yet but I CONSTANTLY over-estimate portion size. I have a dang kitchen scale and measuring cups of all sizes so I'm going to have to start using them.

I end up with roughly 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of 'meat' (chicken minced to pieces, taco meat, pork minced to pieces) and I inevitably hit my 'restriction' about part way through whatever I'm eating. I'm losing track of all my mini-leftovers in the fridge at this point.

I have learned NOT to even try to cross my restriction - there is NOTHING that tastes good enough to risk another bite and then be in pain....sometimes agonizing pain. My first few weeks out I was getting the restriction signal a bit prematurely my doctor finally work out due to my esophagus having spasms along with some other things so while we all knew my pouch did NOT have even 2 oz of anything in it, I would feel almost the same type of pain as if I had tried to eat 1/2 a cup of food this early into the post op journey.

I got a 'pain/discomfort preview' so when I eat...I am chewing and chewing and chewing..and swallow..then hesitate/look for time to ensure I wait a few minutes before the next bite. Food gets cold all the time but that never bothered me much pre-op and still doesn't.

Somewhere between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup seems to be my high maintenance pouch's acceptable limit..

There are numerous brands of tuna to try :)