Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exo cricket protein review

I ate half and the chocolate is super rich tasting so I put the rest in the fridge.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I love cricket Protein. I used to raise crickets and am actually thinking of making a cricket protein/energy bar of all Arizona ingredients - maybe a "Canyon Bar" or a cookie form "Crookies". I'm thinking of dates, pecans, honey, mesquite flour, cactus seeds, and cricket flour. Crickets have the highest feed to protein conversion of any critter, including fish and poultry. Not even a contest with beef and pork. They are incredibly nutritious and actually taste like pistachio nuts when roasted and made into flour. They are coming onto more and more menus. Think of them as the new sushi. 20 years ago no one would have thought of eating raw fish in America and look how popular it is now. Crickets are coming, folks!!!! Chirp chirp!

PS> The Chapul brand cricket bars are really very good. I think they have 4 different flavors.

8 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I love cricket Protein. I used to raise crickets and am actually thinking of making a cricket protein/energy bar of all Arizona ingredients - maybe a "Canyon Bar" or a cookie form "Crookies". I'm thinking of dates, pecans, honey, mesquite flour, cactus seeds, and cricket flour. Crickets have the highest feed to Protein conversion of any critter, including fish and poultry. Not even a contest with beef and pork. They are incredibly nutritious and actually taste like pistachio nuts when roasted and made into flour. They are coming onto more and more menus. Think of them as the new sushi. 20 years ago no one would have thought of eating raw fish in America and look how popular it is now. Crickets are coming, folks!!!! Chirp chirp!

PS> The Chapul brand cricket bars are really very good. I think they have 4 different flavors.

I love you, but your bar sounds like a date with dumping. :) :( "dates, honey, mesquite flour" are all so high in fructose so liver bomb. Cricket flour though poses a really neat option for bariatric patients. It has more Iron per gram than any other protein source. I would think it would be pretty bioavailable too. It's just very difficult to wrap my head around eating crickets...*chirp*

18 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

It's just very difficult to wrap my head around eating crickets...*chirp*

These seriously just tasted like every other Protein Bar on the market! I have the other half sitting on my desk for my 10am snack. They would be better if they put in some kind of wafer or something in the middle to give it some texture. It has the consistency of a slightly melted tootsie roll.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:48 AM, FluffyChix said:

I love you, but your bar sounds like a date with dumping. :) :( "dates, honey, mesquite flour" are all so high in fructose so liver bomb. Cricket flour though poses a really neat option for bariatric patients. It has more Iron per gram than any other Protein source. I would think it would be pretty bioavailable too. It's just very difficult to wrap my head around eating crickets...*chirp*

The bars would be so high in protein with the crickets, mesquite flour (a legume), and cactus seeds that a tiny bit of honey and/or dates, just to hold everything together would probably not be a problem for most. The marketing would be to those wanting a gluten free, high protein, energy bar, not necessarily for bariatric patients. There are so many people who are really into sustainable, eco friendly food sources and crickets tick every box. Besides, they really do taste good and you would never know you were eating them in a bar or cookie.

When I raised them, my whole family was cooperative and never flinched at a new cricket recipe. The final test came when I made chimichangas with WHOLE crickets! Everyone ate them and asked for more. That's when I knew my family could survive any zombie apocalypse!

9 hours ago, AZhiker said:

The bars would be so high in Protein with the crickets, mesquite flour (a legume), and cactus seeds that a tiny bit of honey and/or dates, just to hold everything together would probably not be a problem for most. The marketing would be to those wanting a gluten free, high protein, energy bar, not necessarily for bariatric patients. There are so many people who are really into sustainable, eco friendly food sources and crickets tick every box. Besides, they really do taste good and you would never know you were eating them in a bar or cookie.

When I raised them, my whole family was cooperative and never flinched at a new cricket recipe. The final test came when I made chimichangas with WHOLE crickets! Everyone ate them and asked for more. That's when I knew my family could survive any zombie apocalypse!

Well if you ever get into the market, let me know and I'll be your first customer! (aside from your family). There could be some creative ingredients for bariatric patients. These Exo ones definitely needs some crunch, though. But 10/10 would eat cricket flour products again.

15 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Well if you ever get into the market, let me know and I'll be your first customer! (aside from your family). There could be some creative ingredients for bariatric patients. These Exo ones definitely needs some crunch, though. But 10/10 would eat cricket flour products again.

I agree that crunch is important. When people feel "crunch" they think it is a cricket leg or some other part, which it isn't, but that is the perception. Including crunchy cactus seeds (very similar like chia seeds) gives a reason for crunch and adds a layer of texture.

How economical is getting cricket flour? Also, any idea if it would be an effective replacement for say almond flour in Keto recipes?

Chapul cricket flour is available on Amazon. I think it is over $40 per pound. That's why I raised my own in the past. It is excellent for Keto and a very nutritionally dense, high Protein supplement for anyone.