Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mindful Eating Program?

Has anyone every heard of this? There is a book, and workbook to use after surgery to learn "mindful eating." It looks interesting and I was wondering if anyone had ever, or is, using it. It looks interesting, but just wondering if it is worth the $40USD! Everything in it can probably be found on the internet, but I don't think I am going to have the time or energy for that, right after surgery.

Mindfulness overall is something you can do post surgery to become more aware of your behaviors and I'm sure there are many books about it that you can read. I don't think it's something you will need right after surgery. You will already need to be self aware of what you are eating, how it tastes and chewing and swallowing slowly to not feel pain. You will likely be practicing mindful eating already. I would save the money for now.

My surgeon required me to see an eating disorder counselor prior to surgery due to my binge eating behaviors. The counselor recommended the book "intuitive eating" by elyse resch...which I am guessing is similar. It basically gets you in touch with your body and hunger sensations....the theory is binge eating is caused by restricting foods (diets).

I am only 4 months post op, so To be honest I don't experience "hunger" but if/when it comes back I hope this helps me from slipping into old habits. I don't know if you have a similar issue?

however it has definitely helped me realize I also just snack when bored (which can certainly defeat surgery!). I think this is a common problem.

The $40 sounds worth it compared to a $150 per hour counselor(:

My 24yo daughter was just diagnosed with BED. I probably do fall into that category, after being with her at the Drs., but when I started seeing a nutritionist at the beginning of my journey (Surgery is in 20 days!), I actually set alarms to make sure I ate at reasonable intervals. I could never choke down anything for Breakfast, but she approved a Protein Shake replacement meal, and I have been religious with that. That cut down the binges to almost nothing! I figure out my days meal, put them in the Baritastic App (MUCH better than My Fitness Pal!), follow my alarms, and the only time I slipped up, I missed a lunch, because we were away from home longer than I thought we would be, and didn't want fast food. In hindsight, it probably would have been better grab a salad or something from a fast food joint!

Growing up, I had a step-parent who used food as reward/punishment, so I know I have food issues, but being aware of them is half the battle. My daughter probably just picked up my (bad) eating habits, and after talking, she realizes that she uses take out food as "treats." So not getting whatever she wants, whenever she wants makes triggers her eating way more than she should, after trying to be "good" and restricting her eating. I will tell her about that book as well. It doesn't help she is short and round and her brothers are all tall and thin! My husband & I are both short and round; the runts of our litters! :D

I also had a boredom snacking issue, but I started crocheting again. It is definitely a widespread problem! I don't allow my husband to eat Snacks or anything just out of the bag. I make him put a portion in a dish. That way he is more mindful of what he is shoveling in, since he has to think about it & get up if he wants more. Now that my arthritis is acting up, I play Sims 4, and World of Warcraft, which take concentration. If I am focusing on something else, I don't think about eating until the alarm goes off! LOL And I don't eat at the computer. I also have severe back pain, and discovered a bad day was a trigger. If I am in a lot of pain, I want ALL the comfort food! Now, I just remind myself, the alarm hasn't gone off yet, and I am "eating to live, NOT living to eat!"

So, my journey along this path is helping her, and my husband! I tell them we are all going to get healthy if it kills us! LOL I can't wait to be "not hungry." I sort of joke about the grehlin monster who is going to be evicted soon. I can finish a fantastic meal, and be seriously hungry an hour later, with stomach pains, gurgling, the whole nine yards! Even long before starting to eat healthy, I was always hungry and not satisfied for long. I was terrified of the 2-week pre-op diet! I started a week early, but have 3 Protein Shakes, a meal, and a celery, carrots or dill pickles as snacks. It has been kind of hard, but I just distract myself until it is time to eat again. Knowing "relief" is a few, short weeks away helps. That and knowing how much better the surgery will be if I do the right things! Glad you are doing well after yours!

On 9/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, Colorado Cowgirl said:

Mindfulness overall is something you can do post surgery to become more aware of your behaviors and I'm sure there are many books about it that you can read. I don't think it's something you will need right after surgery. You will already need to be self aware of what you are eating, how it tastes and chewing and swallowing slowly to not feel pain. You will likely be practicing mindful eating already. I would save the money for now.

Thanks to the information here & the Baritastic app, Thanks for the insight, you are right! I have already switched to smaller silverware, and am way more mindful of chewing and eating slowly! True, I could use that money to get more Protein Soups from here! LOL Just put an order in, so I will have some yummy things the day before surgery, and to look forward to afterwards! I also treated myself to some Premier Protein, pumpkin Spice flavor! YUM!

On 9/2/2019 at 4:53 PM, SueM165 said:

Has anyone every heard of this? There is a book, and workbook to use after surgery to learn "mindful eating." It looks interesting and I was wondering if anyone had ever, or is, using it. It looks interesting, but just wondering if it is worth the $40USD! Everything in it can probably be found on the internet, but I don't think I am going to have the time or energy for that, right after surgery.

Hi. What’s the name of the book? I’m interested in getting it as well!

On 9/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, Stella84 said:

My surgeon required me to see an eating disorder counselor prior to surgery due to my binge eating behaviors. The counselor recommended the book "intuitive eating" by elyse resch...which I am guessing is similar. It basically gets you in touch with your body and hunger sensations....the theory is binge eating is caused by restricting foods (diets).

I am only 4 months post op, so To be honest I don't experience "hunger" but if/when it comes back I hope this helps me from slipping into old habits. I don't know if you have a similar issue?

however it has definitely helped me realize I also just snack when bored (which can certainly defeat surgery!). I think this is a common problem.

The $40 sounds worth it compared to a $150 per hour counselor(:

I bought my daughter that book, and she LOVE it! It is really helping her. She wanted me to post and thank you!

I read another of Michelle May's book and found it to be helpful. I also participated in an MB-EAT program byJean Kristeller and Andrea Lieberstein. That offered some experiential learning that filled some gaps for me. I know this post is older and I hope you are doing well!