Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat and Carb intake at stage 3

Hello so I’m on day 2 on my stage 3 solids/soft foods stage. I was only given a Protein goal of 50-60 grams a day but no fat or carb intake goal.

I’m my paperwork i was only told 7-9 servings of protein to get to my 50-60grams in, 1-3 servings of fat.

I haven't been given any amounts for carbs either, for any stage. But, they also want me to avoid as many as many carbs as possible. I wish I had a goal number!

I wasn’t given any of that either, I was told to get my Protein and Water in and keep sugar to none/low. But looking back on all of my suggested diets and what to avoid during each stage the only item higher in carbs on the list was mashed potatoes...

I try my best to keep carbs at below 20 grams. I'm typically at 15 grams net carbs of an approximately 500 cals daily. Fat is negligible for me. It's typically fat in Yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta or my tablespoon of Olive oil.
My plan says Dense Proteins in fish, chicken, Turkey, canned tuna, Tofu or eggs. And cooked green veggies OR soft fruits ( Berries except black berries, melon, Apple with skin off, fresh or canned with no syrup). All in 1/2 cup. For every 3 bites of Protein, 1 bite of veggies.
No starch, grains or sugar.

So 60 grams to 80 grams proteins
15 to 20 grams carbs
10 to 15 grams fat

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was not given numbers except for Protein and Water. However, The plan is basically to get protein first, then veggies, legumes, seeds/nuts, then a little fruit. No sugar. There really is no room left for starches. You should be full well before the thought of carbs. I still eat very little carbs from grain. I am saving them for maintenance, which is where I am now, but I still only have room for an occassional rice cake and maybe a little quinoa or other whole grain that is cooked. It's hardly worth the effort, though, as I can only eat 1/4 cup and it's hard to cook such a small amount.

Bottom line - save the grain carbs for much further down the road - when you actually want to stop losing weight. Focus on protein and healthy veggies, legumes. You will get all the carbs you need from that.

I am 3months post op and i dont count carbs or fats. I find healthy fat or fat on meat slides down and digest easier so it has all worked for me. I was never given on how much to eat i had to learn as i go what works for me. Ive lost 50pounds in 3months i think thats pretty good at starting at 237. So im a happy camper now. I also dont worry to much about sugar because sugar free BBQ Sauce is so gross to me i eat small portions anyways so i can have the good bbq sauce as long as i get my 13,000 steps in a day i will lose 2 pounds or 3 a week.

early on we were just told to worry about Protein and fluids - the rest would take care of itself. You're not taking in enough calories that early on to get too much fat or carbs. Later on I did focus on carbs, but I've never worried about fat. Four years out, I focus on protein and overall calories - I still don't worry about fat.

Edited by catwoman7

I wasn't given a goal either. She only wanted me to worry about Protein and the goal was and is 60-80g although she's now backed that down to a range of 50-75g.

Here's a glimpse of my MFP goals I set at Stage 3:

image.png.345afa4116252544da5cf11c58092db3.png

The top is what I actually got. Also, MFP adds in exercise macros. :( And I never try to eat that back cuz it's doesn't help my weight loss/maintenance any. So my goal for the day at that time was set at 600cals.

Here's where I set my goals to:

image.png.9ef3e062eb7b4a03592fc1672e1e6203.png

I was very hyperinsulinemic, so I kept carbs low and limited to most coming from veggies and sometimes a bit of berries. The focus was and is on protein. And I had to keep fats low cuz I would get nauseated from too much fat in the meal--especially early out.

I can get a little sick feeling from too much fat, as well. And I still have steatorrhea (unabsorbed fat that comes out in stools - fluffy, light colored, and floatie) Sorry, if TMI.Since I had fatty liver disease prior to surgery and since I don't tolerate it very well, I tend to stick to fat free dairy products, lean meats, skinless poultry. I do use olive oil, coconut oil, and a little butter, some nuts and an occasional avacado. So I get plenty, but not nearly like a pure Keto diet, and I do not use MCT oil like some do. My poor liver would just not like that.

Everyone is so different. You gotta figure out what works for you. But low carb (especially refined grains) can be deadly for weight loss. I only use whole grains - unrefined. Simply cooked grains, and rarely at that. Refined grains (anything in flour form - even if they are "good" grains like quinoa, teff, amaranth, millet, sorgham, buckwheat) will absorb much quicker than whole cooked grains. The quicker absorption causes a higher spike in blood sugar and a more vigorous insulin response. Remember that insulin is what makes us fat - it drives the sugar into to cells, and then the extra goes into fat storage. It turns off the fat burning engine. Keeping the carbs low is the only way to keep the blood sugar and insulin levels low. Even when you eat carbs like sweet potato, fruits, or starchy veggies, it is important to have Protein along at the same time. fruit makes a great dessert, but not an appetizer. You want to slow down the carb absorption (and insulin release) as much as possible . This is also why restricted eating time (6-8 hour window each day) is such a powerful tool. It ensures that insulin is low for 16-18 hours, which allows fat to be used as the fuel source instead of glucose. WHEN and HOW you eat is just as important as WHAT you eat.

My paperwork says to follow a 15gram carb per meal for 5-6 months.