Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry after gastric sleeve?

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on 8/23/19 and am feeling hungry. Has anyone else felt hungry after their surgery.? I read that people lose their appetite, but my stomach still seems to growl, or is it just gurgeling?

Are you really hungry? Or is it the tummy noise? I'm 20 months out and my tummy is still noisy! However, I have not got the hungry hormone back yet. I hope it never comes back!

BTW, I HAD THE GBP, RNY.

Edited by Deemar007

I had surgery on 8/29 and I feel hungry. I can barley get down Water and Protein Shakes but I do believe I'm hungry and that bothers me. Maybe when I start eating some solid food it will go away. If anyone has words of encouragement, please send them our way. Today I was even questioning if I made the right decision. I believe I have and it's been such a short time since surgery. I will carry on....

I had the bypass and I do feel hungry lots of times. Even after surgery I was hungry a lot!

I never had any growling or gurgling so I don't know about that but I know I was hungry. I know some people say they lost their appetite after surgery but I can't help but wonder if they really did or if they just always had a smaller appetite than others.

Anyway, good luck! :D

Yup, I was sleeved on Friday the 30th, and woke up feeling hungry. My nutritionist was surprised, but my reasoning is that I haven’t had any solid food for over 2 weeks. I’m not bothered by it as I trust the process. I am actually quite relieved that I can’t eat whatever I want to. For the first time I looked in the mirror today and felt a true sense of hope. Don’t know if this helps, just wanted to share my experience.

I was sleeved on the 27th and feel the same way. My hunger started a few days post op. I am forcing down the Water and Protein Shakes as I am suppose to, but I am counting the days until I can at least start soft, puréed foods. It’s been an emotional week for me, and I have had periods of doubt and regret, but I am hopeful this will change as I get further out in my recovery. I keep reminding myself my WHY, which helps a little. Hang in there!

1 hour ago, 303nursemom said:

I was sleeved on the 27th and feel the same way. My hunger started a few days post op. I am forcing down the Water and Protein Shakes as I am suppose to, but I am counting the days until I can at least start soft, puréed foods. It’s been an emotional week for me, and I have had periods of doubt and regret, but I am hopeful this will change as I get further out in my recovery. I keep reminding myself my WHY, which helps a little. Hang in there!

I am able to drink Water Protein Shake are good. Chocalate is good

I think everyone goes through a period of questioning your decision and grieving. Your family is sitting down for this amazing meal which you probably made and your sipping on a Protein Drink. You did so much work to get here and your sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Next time your feeling hungry distract yourself with something physical like a walk or do the stairs a few times. Is it head hunger or real hunger?

I was sleeved 8/15 and can start pureed foods 9/5, I'm counting the days to cottage cheese and pureed veggies, yes I am hungry. I was hungry in the hospital too, it hasn't gone away. I asked the fellow sleeves and most said it was head hunger, I'm hanging in there but understand how you all feel. The first 2 days home from the hospital I also questioned my decision but that has passed and I am at peace with my choice. Hang in there we will all get there, keep drinking, even if it's small sips. My first protien shake at home took me 5 hrs to finish, one week later I drank it so quickly I was afraid it was too quick. It will get better :)

Thanks for all the responses. I know they've helped me as I better understand the process. Best wishes to all!!

After a lifetime of being able to eat when and how we want. Being able to fill any hungry cues both head and real hunger, you can bet your bottom dollars we will be hungry!!!!! Either hunger from habits, pleasures, pain, stomach etc, and it takes our minds and bodies a while to adjust to the new normal but it will adjust! So hang in there my friends, we will retain our body to work healthily for us. It is not an easy process AT ALL but we'll prevail.
By the time we start eating regularly again (of course in small quantities), those hunger cues will be practically non existent and hence the lack of hunger people talk about. Hang in there [emoji176][emoji176][emoji176][emoji176]

PS:
Just spent the weekend assisting kids and Skinny sis in law in making Harry Potter's butter beer and Fudge!![emoji37][emoji37][emoji37][emoji37][emoji37] Not fun!!! Didn't even taste a sliver!![emoji17][emoji17][emoji31][emoji31] But I was EVER so proud of myself[emoji169]🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my surgery on 2/27/19. After the surgery I was hungry but when I smell food I got nausea. Now I am having a hard time finding food to eat. I am so tired of the chicken and I don't eat beef or pork. I use to get hungry and even heard the noise in the stomach but trust it goes away. I am not fully on solids as my stomach won't take it but the weight is coming off and I am loving the new me and so will you.