Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changed from Sleeve to RNY Bypass

Hi Folks, I've been on these forums for a few months with the intent to have the sleeve procedure. I just went through all the pre-req scans, appointments, counseling sessions. etc...I'm so ready for the surgery but am dealing with some insurance drama (other thread..) but......starting this thread because my doctor called me the other day to discuss my upper GI and said I had GERD ( I never knew at 48 years of age I had that and acid reflux..who knew??) and also pointed out that people with my bmi have better results with the bypass. Soooooooo.....Now, I feel like I should get the bypass. My only hesitation before was that it's a bit more complex and frankly, I'm lazy when it comes to Vitamins. I'll just have to be extra diligent. Anyone else here like me starting the journey to get the sleeve and switch??

I think you'd have to take Vitamins with the sleeve as well. I might be wrong but that's what I've always heard.

I started off wanting the bypass. I knew it was more complex but to me surgery is surgery so if i'm already going to have one it might as well be the one I felt was right for me. I still stand with my decision to have the bypass so no regrets here! :D

I too was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the vitamins. I never could before. But I think just knowing how serious this is and that I HAD to take them made me stay on top of them. I also downloaded an app called Medisafe and it's honestly so great it always reminds me when to take them so I never forget!

Good luck! :D❤️

Is best to go with bypass as there are so many ppl being revised to it from sleeve anyways for numerous reasons. One post I seen this lady had to be revised only weeks after sleeve.

Yes the bypass is a little more complex but It is better for long term success !

Edited by Mikeyy

I pressed for bypass since I had acid reflux. Thankfully, that is gone now. I am very glad I had the bypass.

I, too, chose Bypass because of GERD, and I'm glad I did. Taking the Vitamins is no big deal. I take a chewable multi Vitamin in the am and pm, 3 chewable calcium citrate chews a day, and a vitamin B-12 under my tongue. Easy peasy. Not something to prevent me from having bypass!! Yes, the surgery may be "more complicated" but it is called the "gold standard" for a reason, and has been done for a long time.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, Panda333 said:

Hi Folks, I've been on these forums for a few months with the intent to have the sleeve procedure. I just went through all the pre-req scans, appointments, counseling sessions. etc...I'm so ready for the surgery but am dealing with some insurance drama (other thread..) but......starting this thread because my doctor called me the other day to discuss my upper GI and said I had GERD ( I never knew at 48 years of age I had that and acid reflux..who knew??) and also pointed out that people with my bmi have better results with the bypass. Soooooooo.....Now, I feel like I should get the bypass. My only hesitation before was that it's a bit more complex and frankly, I'm lazy when it comes to Vitamins. I'll just have to be extra diligent. Anyone else here like me starting the journey to get the sleeve and switch??

I had a sleeve and then, 8 months later, had to revise to RnY due to GERD. Believe me, you're better off doing the surgery just once.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

I could've written exactly what you did. I was also set on the sleeve because I was scared of the malnutrition risks with the bypass, but like you, due to GERD I didn't know I had, the bypass was the best option. He also said that later on down the road I'd probably need the sleeve converted to a bypass and since another surgery was not what I wanted I went along with the bypass. In the end I know it's the right decision but since I'm only four days post op right now I'm not yet convinced LOL!

I knew I needed the bypass due to GERD. My surgeon talked about how this surgery has been around for decades and is even used as a surgery to treat GERD not just weight loss. Yes the side effects and risks are higher but I didn’t want to mess with the risk of a second surgery. Just know that Vitamins are lifelong and make sure you do the labs to check your levels. My MD and nutritionist both said a lot of long term issues are preventable so if you follow the Vitamin guidelines your risks are even lower.