Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what are you unable to eat now?

I'll tell you one that is not quite WLS follow the diet related.

I can't seem to eat some soft cheeses. I was told by my wls group that fresh mozzarella would be a good source of Protein and easy to digest soon after the surgery. I can handle other lactose based foods without issue, but my body just said NOPE to this one. Once I put that cheese into my mouth and started to chew, I got the most intense gagging reflex I've ever had and spit it out. I never had this issue with any food before.

Its sad because caprese salads are my favorite.

Yeah Me Too it's like it sours my stomach and it doesn't seem worth the wear and tear on ME! But chedder it is totally cool! It's W9nder Why this Is?

See this is what’s so weird about WLS.
So far I haven’t come across a cheese that I can’t tolerate.
In fact, cheese is one of my greatest loves now PO because it’s so flexible and yummy and a great Protein bomb and it gives me such a feeling of satiety.

Soft cheeses are my faves bc they go down easier

4 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

See this is what’s so weird about WLS.
So far I haven’t come across a cheese that I can’t tolerate.
In fact, cheese is one of my greatest loves now PO because it’s so flexible and yummy and a great Protein bomb and it gives me such a feeling of satiety.

Soft cheeses are my faves bc they go down easier

YES! Laughing cow cheeses were like 50% of my diet early post WLS 🤣

The only thing I can not tolerate is iceberg lettuce....I am fine with baby spinach so I just use that in all my salads.

I'm just going to need to experiment some more with different types of cheeses.

String cheese I have no problem with, but is it considered soft or hard. Harder Cheese (especially those from the snack packs with small deli meat or nuts and fruit) are perfectly fine for me. Pepper Jack cheese which I used to love to no end, I can't eat now. Anything Hot has intensified since the surgery and I can't tolerate it.

So weird how a surgery can change the likes and dislikes of food that should be able to be tolerated with the new surgery.

I’m gonna be totally honest. I had gastric sleeve 6 months ago. I cannot hardly eat anything!! It’s very frustrating. Things I loved before don’t taste right. Sometimes just the texture makes me spit it right back up. Every time I eat is a guessing game if I’m going to tolerate it or not. Soups have been my best food to try and eat. meat (which I loved) doesn’t work well for me. I have heartburn 24/7. I had a hernia repair when I had my surgery so I’m not sure why that is. I hope that I’ll be able to tolerate more in the future because it can be quite depressing to feel this way. Not trying to be negative in any sense just prepare yourself mentally for what could happen.

By contrast, I’m 7 weeks out and I’ve tolerated everything I’ve tried thus far—including the aforementioned eggs and cheese, spinach, raspberries, meat and fish. (I’ve not tried fried foods, sugar, grains or starches except sweet potato) so it’s anyone’s guess...

Beautiful3 - I hope it balances out. Taking PPI I assume? The preservatives in iceberg - most lettuce, breads and especially tortillas kill me. The smell...

I no longer care for any kind of meat, bacon, pork. I may be able to take a few bites if its cooked outside because the smell makes me want to throw up. chicken seems to be ok but even after 3 years i can only eat 2 chicken wings at the most.

Sent from my SM-J337P using BariatricPal mobile app

I eat fairly simply. Never been a spicy food person so no loss there. The only carb I knowingly eat is rolled oats. I can eat fish, all meats, eggs & cheeses. My tastebuds still are not fond of many vegetables & fruit I used to love though. The only takeaway food i’ve tried is Chinese chicken & cashews (without the cashews).
As I can only eat small amounts, I focus on Protein and eat little or no vegetables or salad - three/four spoons of protein (half a sausage, a small lamb cutlet, small chicken leg) & a small cauliflower floret & i’m done. Takes me three days to eat two scrambled eggs.

I eat slowly & mindfully. If i’m stressed (like worrying about what I can eat when dining out) my body shuts down & I can eat even less. (I’ve had to calm several concerned wait staff stressing everything tasted delicious & the reason i’ve barely touched my meal is just me.)

I find it hard to get my fluids in each day. Alcohol is an occasional treat now - I can nurse a gin & tonic for hours. Tolerated my first glass of champagne last week. Yay!

Only vomited food once. I just wish the gurgling would stop and the Hair loss.

Listen to your body. Find what works for you. Everyone’s experience is different. Yes, you will have to change your diet & find healthier foods to eat. But this is a new and better world. Enjoy!

On 9/14/2019 at 12:26 PM, KarenLR75 said:

YES!! I love them too..so so much! Our surgery dates were within weeks of each other. Hopefully one of our veterans that had a similar issue can assure us we can ONE DAY eat our beloved eggs.

I have seen ppl post that they were able to eat eggs in other 'forms' like boiled, deviled....but I'm kind of gun shy right now...

Try them soft boiled (6.5minute eggs) with a 1/2 tsp of real butter. Or a dollop of grk yogurt. They go down very very easily.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:26 PM, KarenLR75 said:

YES!! I love them too..so so much! Our surgery dates were within weeks of each other. Hopefully one of our veterans that had a similar issue can assure us we can ONE DAY eat our beloved eggs.

I have seen ppl post that they were able to eat eggs in other 'forms' like boiled, deviled....but I'm kind of gun shy right now...

I've always been able to eat eggs (including scrambled), but some people have a hard time with them the first few months post-surgery. Most can eventually eat them again at some point, though.

On 09/18/2019 at 07:49, catwoman7 said:

I've always been able to eat eggs (including scrambled), but some people have a hard time with them the first few months post-surgery. Most can eventually eat them again at some point, though.

I keep holding onto hope that eventually me and eggs can be friends again.
7.5 months PO and I still really can’t tolerate them well.