Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what are you unable to eat now?

• bread and any kind of potatoes cause horrid Constipation.
  • chicken tenders (i know) sit in my esophagus and wont go down. I had ONE BITE and that little thing sat in my chest for 30 min.
  • broccoli on an empty stomach cause gassy bloated situation i never had before.
  • milk on empty stomach causes nausea.
  • cheezits form a nice little pastey ball of hurt in my chest.
  • steak was really bad my first time after surgery. but now i know i can eat about a 2 oz peice with no problems.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:53 PM, mlmx1138 said:

Hi,

I have an appointment with the bariatric surgeon on 9/10. I hope this will lead to the surgery, hopefully this year!

I was wondering, are there any foods you ate before that you can no longer eat since your sleeve surgery? And if you can't eat certain things, why not?

Just curious :)

Thanks,

Maureen

Congrats on your appointment Maureen!

I'm 3 months post op & I don't think there's anything I can't eat. I haven't tried bread, other than low carb wraps & those are absolutely fine.

Honesty I went into this thinking I was giving up like, idk all sorts of things. I really thought, I'd never be able to eat them again. And even 3 months out I'm realizing that's not going to be true for me. Nothing has made me sick. This has all been super smooth sailing for me. That said, it means it's really up to me to say NO to all sorts of things. If that makes any sense? Like I sorta thought if I ate sugar or something, I'd be horribly sick like many of the members of this site. I haven't tested sugar much, but I had a tablespoon or two of creme brûlée at one point, I was fine. I've had halo top a couple times, I was fine.

So far, I've had chicken, steak, ground beef, turkey sausage. All has been absolutely fine.

Oh pizza! I have had pizza since surgery. Probably 10 weeks post op? I had a serving about the size of a slice of bread & I was fine. Is it something I'm purposely eating on a regular basis, no. I was at a thing & that was what was served.

I haven't had alcohol or soda since surgery. Neither of them means anything to me so it's no hardship on me not to have them.

I drink a lot of coffee & my doctor is fine with it. I also use straws - he's fine with that as well. You'll find a lot of varying opinions about that here.

All in all, I feel exactly the same as I did before - in a good way. I don't really feel like much has changed for me except my stomach is much smaller & I eat much less. It's still up to me to make smart choices, but it's MUCH easier for me to do that with a stomach this small.

Totally agree. Only thing I can’t eat are greasy foods and I’m thankful to not be able to enjoy them. I did accidentally eat yogurt with more sugar than I should have had and felt awful from that as well. bread? No biggie. Bites of cracker or chips, etc are the same. It’s a choice, but it’s easier for me to choose wisely now.

16 hours ago, djgirl19 said:

Totally agree. Only thing I can’t eat are greasy foods and I’m thankful to not be able to enjoy them. I did accidentally eat yogurt with more sugar than I should have had and felt awful from that as well. bread? No biggie. Bites of cracker or chips, etc are the same. It’s a choice, but it’s easier for me to choose wisely now.

Hey girl! Have you had the Oikos triple zero? It's like 15g Protein & tastes really good.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, JanJan19 said:

Congrats on your appointment Maureen!

I'm 3 months post op & I don't think there's anything I can't eat. I haven't tried bread, other than low carb wraps & those are absolutely fine.

Honesty I went into this thinking I was giving up like, idk all sorts of things. I really thought, I'd never be able to eat them again. And even 3 months out I'm realizing that's not going to be true for me. Nothing has made me sick. This has all been super smooth sailing for me. That said, it means it's really up to me to say NO to all sorts of things. If that makes any sense? Like I sorta thought if I ate sugar or something, I'd be horribly sick like many of the members of this site. I haven't tested sugar much, but I had a tablespoon or two of creme brûlée at one point, I was fine. I've had halo top a couple times, I was fine.

So far, I've had chicken, steak, ground beef, turkey sausage. All has been absolutely fine.

Oh pizza! I have had pizza since surgery. Probably 10 weeks post op? I had a serving about the size of a slice of bread & I was fine. Is it something I'm purposely eating on a regular basis, no. I was at a thing & that was what was served.

I haven't had alcohol or soda since surgery. Neither of them means anything to me so it's no hardship on me not to have them.

I drink a lot of coffee & my doctor is fine with it. I also use straws - he's fine with that as well. You'll find a lot of varying opinions about that here.

All in all, I feel exactly the same as I did before - in a good way. I don't really feel like much has changed for me except my stomach is much smaller & I eat much less. It's still up to me to make smart choices, but it's MUCH easier for me to do that with a stomach this small.

That is very encouraging! I also have no problem living without soda or alcohol, I have heard soda can cause problems but I can do without it.

I had not heard anything about straws, I use them all the time, hmm......I hope I can keep doing so!

On 8/31/2019 at 7:17 PM, mlmx1138 said:

Really....I think I could live without ice cream, I love it but haven't had any for over a year due to diabetes. In fact, I think I could give up alot of things, I'm tired of my life revolving around what I'm going to eat next.

This surgery has the opposite effect. At least for a while. I'm about to enter week seven and the worst part of the whole experience for me is having to think SO much about eating and drinking. I'm sure it's better than not thinking about it and overeating, but the need to think about what I'm eating, measure, log and eat constantly is pretty relentless compared to before.

Breads and rice, somebody said use good quality bread, toast it well and you'll be fine. Ha Ha to the INTH Degree! Also most meat, ground or pureed into submission, Precious Pouch knows and won't accept it- No siree! I was over joyed when at 10 months she let me eat Greek yogurt once again, helped with the Protein deficiency, think my hair has stopped thining and might be actually reviewing. For me growth did really slow down, oh it still did but Tomkitten still gets his hair cut 2 to 1 over me- will that ever CHANGE? Well I shall perpetually be a "Work in PROGRESS", but no real use raging against it so I've mentally kicked back, accepted I may never be Protein Shake FREE, what Precious will agree to I make of high quality, fresh as possible, and with intrinsic Vitamin or mineral content. Almost nothing from cans, has to be fresh or purely frozen. But You ME and My Future Health are worth it. After years and years of sublimating to late husband and other Family Members I have learned to put Frustr8 to the forefront. One if the reasons I treasure All of You , especially Fluffy Chix , I have learned so much reading her past postings and diet advice.
So what I cannot eat or Change I find substitute FOR, keep my fluids up- People live on Fluid Drive, after All, take my Vitamins and minerals, must be digesti g those because I don't made a rattling sound as I Walk. And trust in GOD and my healthier decisions. And Someday, in Some Way , I will be in Maintainance after GOAL! 😜Smile and show 💘 wherever YOU GO.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, KarenLR75 said:

Eggs..can't eat scrambled eggs. Haven't tried fried yet. Was in such utter agony from both times I have tried eggs that it will be a DANG LONG LONG LONG LONG time before I try again.

I was amazed to see ppl posting that they could eat popcorn. Having not tried as I'm still only 6 weeks after post-op, I just think of how 'hard' popcorn feels to me...but I guess, well heck, it's a carb so does it...go all soft when it is in your pouch?? Not knocking anyone for eating a carb! I'm truly fascinated as I don't trust my picky pouch and am amazed that some folks can actually eat popcorn! So weird and amazing.

Was never a huge popcorn fan either and since I'm on mostly a very low carb way of eating, I probably won't try it but my curiosity has been peaked. Just like I'm still stunned that my 'Ms. Picky Pouch' has an issue with a dang scrambled egg!

I can't eat scrambled eggs either! And I'm so sad because I love eggs. But I ate them two breakfasts in a row, did not overeat or eat to fast, and was HORRIBLY NAUSEOUS after! Went back to greek yogurt and was fine.

4 hours ago, darcyjae said:

This surgery has the opposite effect. At least for a while. I'm about to enter week seven and the worst part of the whole experience for me is having to think SO much about eating and drinking. I'm sure it's better than not thinking about it and overeating, but the need to think about what I'm eating, measure, log and eat constantly is pretty relentless compared to before.

My surgery was 3 days after yours so we were in the same week! I actually had this same feeling last week.

When I start to get overwhelmed, I actually almost go back a phase. And....I have found for ME since I've been such a slow LOSER, that I have to be careful as I cannot eat the same things even at this phase as others...so I tend to repeat meals that I know are within my personal calorie target, Protein target, and especially carb target.

I have to do something that may actually not be easy, but I honestly make my meals almost boring at this point during the week as I need FAST and EASY and "I don't want to have to calculate/think about it" (and I love tracking #'s). What helps is that I know now I'm hitting my protein goals (I drink at least 1 shake a day still).

So on the weekends is where I try to incorporate some of the wonderful and still easy ideas that everyone posts.

However, I totally get the feeling of have to constantly monitor things. Since I've started being more active with my youngest, that has helped shake my weight loss up some...so maybe that is also where I've found a little bit more freedom from where I was at last week and the week before - exactly what you said.

Hang in there, from everything I've read, it gets easier...much easier. Although our key veterans also seem to monitor what they eat, but I think it is from a much less overwhelmed perspective.

2 minutes ago, apiane said:

I can't eat scrambled eggs either! And I'm so sad because I love eggs. But I ate them two breakfasts in a row, did not overeat or eat to fast, and was HORRIBLY NAUSEOUS after! Went back to greek yogurt and was fine.

YES!! I love them too..so so much! Our surgery dates were within weeks of each other. Hopefully one of our veterans that had a similar issue can assure us we can ONE DAY eat our beloved eggs.

I have seen ppl post that they were able to eat eggs in other 'forms' like boiled, deviled....but I'm kind of gun shy right now...

1 minute ago, KarenLR75 said:

YES!! I love them too..so so much! Our surgery dates were within weeks of each other. Hopefully one of our veterans that had a similar issue can assure us we can ONE DAY eat our beloved eggs.

I have seen ppl post that they were able to eat eggs in other 'forms' like boiled, deviled....but I'm kind of gun shy right now...

I'm so gun shy. I don't think I'm going to try to eat an egg until Thanksgiving when I know there will be deviled eggs. I'll try one. But I don't like feeling sick. I haven't thrown up yet and I don't plan to lol.

Don't recommend Emesis, it is eternally a miserable thing, Really also makes you Gun-Shy, I make a heck of a Western omelet, now I hold my nose shut, make it for TOMKITTEN , never indulge, wonder if I will even be able to scrambled , let alone deviled or hard-boiled. And my Darlings I AM a Full year+ and still dodging Food♨ Bullets as I make it through the Maze of Life.⚠🚧

5 hours ago, darcyjae said:

Really...I had not realized that, but I guess you would be having to think a lot about what you eat after the surgery. I hope that this is something that is soon after the surgery and that as time goes on we won't have to do all the measuring, logging and such?

4 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Breads and rice, somebody said use good quality bread, toast it well and you'll be fine. Ha Ha to the INTH Degree! Also most meat, ground or pureed into submission, Precious Pouch knows and won't accept it- No siree! I was over joyed when at 10 months she let me eat Greek yogurt once again, helped with the Protein deficiency, think my hair has stopped thining and might be actually reviewing. For me growth did really slow down, oh it still did but Tomkitten still gets his hair cut 2 to 1 over me- will that ever CHANGE? Well I shall perpetually be a "Work in PROGRESS", but no real use raging against it so I've mentally kicked back, accepted I may never be Protein Shake FREE, what Precious will agree to I make of high quality, fresh as possible, and with intrinsic Vitamin or mineral content. Almost nothing from cans, has to be fresh or purely frozen. But You ME and My Future Health are worth it. After years and years of sublimating to late husband and other Family Members I have learned to put Frustr8 to the forefront. One if the reasons I treasure All of You , especially Fluffy Chix , I have learned so much reading her past postings and diet advice.
So what I cannot eat or Change I find substitute FOR, keep my fluids up- People live on Fluid Drive, after All, take my Vitamins and minerals, must be digesti g those because I don't made a rattling sound as I Walk. And trust in GOD and my healthier decisions. And Someday, in Some Way , I will be in Maintainance after GOAL! 😜Smile and show 💘 wherever YOU GO.

I don't eat bread and rice now, but meat....I think I would truly have cravings for that!

Kinda scary to hear people talk about hair loss....mine is already thin from liquid fasting diets that didn't work for me. Lost hair but the weight came back. Glad to hear your hair is coming back!

08/31/2019 05:53 PM, mlmx1138 said:

Hi,

I have an appointment with the bariatric surgeon on 9/10. I hope this will lead to the surgery, hopefully this year!

I was wondering, are there any foods you ate before that you can no longer eat since your sleeve surgery? And if you can't eat certain things, why not?

Just curious :)

Thanks,

Maureen

Well I’m assuming that you’re referring to healthy low-carb, high Protein food because otherwise why would a person even consider WLS if they don’t plan to radically change their diet, right?

That being said, I’ve tried a few things in my 7 months that aren’t truly on the “approved” list.
Mostly alcohol. Anytime I have alcohol it goes and stays down just fine, but the price I pay is slowed weight loss for a few days so I truly pick and choose those times carefully.
Went to a wedding July 4th and had 3 glasses wine, some bbq brisket, smoked chicken , Mac and cheese, cole slaw and a couple bites of a piece of bread, and half a slice of wedding cake.
Quite honestly everything except the brisket and smoked chicken (that I ate without the sauce) were the worst things I ate. All the carb-ey stuff tasted kinda weird and gross. The cake was just “okay” and people everywhere were raving about how delicious it was. *shrug*
The wine was simply awesome and I’m kind of sad in a way that I haven’t lost my complete and utter love for wine. OTOH, at least I still do have this every now and again indulgence I can turn to.

Okay, so let’s talk “healthier” options.
One food I used to LOVE was eggs. Any kind cooked any way. I loved me some eggs.
Now I can’t really even tolerate part of a boiled egg on salad bc eggs give me horrible cramping.
Also mayo. Cannot have even a smidge of mayo or insta-cramps. Some would think maybe my gall bladder is acting up, but so far that’s been ruled out.

I used to be (and still am) a complete salad mix freak. Thank goodness I can still put away a cup or more of leafy greens without difficulty. Some people can’t so I’m thankful. In fact, I’d be willing to bet over half my carbs daily (which isn’t much) comes from different salad greens.