Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to Bariatric Pal!!

August 16th was my first visit to my Bariatric doctor. Went well and discussed three different options, but wanted to cry when I saw what I weighed. I knew I was over 300 lbs, but didn't realize how much over. I chose to do the Roux-en-y surgery but I have 3 more visits pre-op and then once the insurance gives the go ahead I'll be in surgery by the 2nd week of December. So far, I've had people tell me I'm nuts to do it before Christmas. All I tell them is I'm so ready for this journey. I'll be 50 on the 25th of September. I'm ready for my 50's to be the best years of my life. My Dr office has given me a list of the Protein Shakes, liquids, and other items to have prior to surgery. They're suggesting Premiere Protein shakes. I just wanted to see what everyone else has used. I'm trying to be proactive and see what's best before I start the liquid before surgery. Thank you!

I'm adding a picture of me pre-op.20190629_085357~3.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using BariatricPal mobile app

hi :D I just used my supermarket's own version as it had all the same % and ingredients as the one my docs recommend which was Slimfast :)

hi I just used my supermarket's own version as it had all the same % and ingredients as the one my docs recommend which was Slimfast

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it!

Welcome to group and congratulations on turning 50 but I have to say you do not look your age at all and welcome to the world of getting your life back!! This is all about you so never mind those that try discourage you from doing this and when it not about them its about you. I have tried quite a few of the different kind of Protein Shakes from pre made to powder and I have to say that I have two weeks left on my 1 month liquid diet which I had choose to go with Isopure dutch chocolate powder that I mix with unsweetened almond milk its zero carb zero sugar ordered from Amazon I think its the best . Isopure leaves no after taste or a chalk taste in your mouth so I found it to be the best. Id also like to say that you can order it on line from either Walmart or amazon ( which I found cheapest to be on amazon) you can order different flavors and in different size serving amounts(again I went with the 7lbs which is 107 servings , because it would get me through the whole month) This was also helpful Isopure also offers a unflavored protien powder that you can mix into any other liquid such as Soups or drink and its unflavored so you don't taste it . I will definitely be reordering especially the unflavored for after surgery as a way to get my Protein in. Good luck on your journey!!

2 hours ago, StevieO925 said:

So far, I've had people tell me I'm nuts to do it before Christmas. All I tell them is I'm so ready for this journey. I'll be 50 on the 25th of September. I'm ready for my 50's to be the best years of my life.

This sounds like an awesome Christmas Present to yourself.

#Fitfor50's

I drink the Premier Protein drinks. I can find them on Amazon and get them in 12 packs. For each little box I get 30 grams of Protein which makes the day start off well. Lately I've been trying not to become reliant on them and to drink those only when I don't get enough protein at the end of the day. But at the beginning its so much easier cause getting in your protein amount is hard!

Edited by BoredCW
Added Protein info.

Everyone has different preferences with Protein supplements. I use chocolate Premier Protein shakes as a back up if I can't get a lunch at work, travelling, etc. I use the ON vanilla powder in my smoothies and yoghurt power bowls. And I use unflavored Nutrisumma pea protein in soups/savory dishes.

Welcome to group and congratulations on turning 50 but I have to say you do not look your age at all and welcome to the world of getting your life back!! This is all about you so never mind those that try discourage you from doing this and when it not about them its about you. I have tried quite a few of the different kind of Protein Shakes from pre made to powder and I have to say that I have two weeks left on my 1 month liquid diet which I had choose to go with Isopure dutch chocolate powder that I mix with unsweetened almond milk its zero carb zero sugar ordered from Amazon I think its the best . Isopure leaves no after taste or a chalk taste in your mouth so I found it to be the best. Id also like to say that you can order it on line from either Walmart or amazon ( which I found cheapest to be on amazon) you can order different flavors and in different size serving amounts(again I went with the 7lbs which is 107 servings , because it would get me through the whole month) This was also helpful Isopure also offers a unflavored protien powder that you can mix into any other liquid such as Soups or drink and its unflavored so you don't taste it . I will definitely be reordering especially the unflavored for after surgery as a way to get my Protein in. Good luck on your journey!!
Thank you so much! I'm glad that I don't look like I'm going to be 50 LOL! Thank you for all the wonderful advice I truly appreciate it!

This sounds like an awesome Christmas Present to yourself.
#Fitfor50's

I drink the Premier Protein drinks. I can find them on Amazon and get them in 12 packs. For each little box I get 30 grams of Protein which makes the day start off well. Lately I've been trying not to become reliant on them and to drink those only when I don't get enough protein at the end of the day. But at the beginning its so much easier cause getting in your protein amount is hard!
Great thank you!! It Will be an awesome Christmas present to myself!

Everyone has different preferences with Protein supplements. I use chocolate Premier Protein shakes as a back up if I can't get a lunch at work, travelling, etc. I use the ON vanilla powder in my smoothies and yoghurt power bowls. And I use unflavored Nutrisumma pea protein in soups/savory dishes.
Awesome, thank you!

All you really need is a good quality high Protein Powder to make your own shakes if you like :) high Protein is important while limiting carbs and sugars preop!

Also if you can start to cut out sodas and alcohol it will help a lot.

All you really need is a good quality high Protein Powder to make your own shakes if you like high Protein is important while limiting carbs and sugars preop!
Also if you can start to cut out sodas and alcohol it will help a lot.

Thank you, great information!

Welcome! I’m over 50 and will be getting my surgery on 10/15. We are all in this together.

Hello! I had my sleeve 21 years ago and got out of the hospital 1 day before Thanksgiving. I am sure you will do fine with it. I am 54 and having a Bypass on the 16th. Wishing you the best on your journey!

I couldn’t use the premiere Protein because they have added iodine (I’m allergic)

I had a hard time finding ones I could tolerate. So far I like PEScience Select Protein Powder, either I mix it with ripple milk, edensoy or in TwoGood yogurt. For RTD (ready to drink) labrada lean body salted caramel is very good it’s 40 grams protein. Boost MAX protein (from the grocery) it’s 30 grams protein. Koia is good for a plant based RTD. I Especially liked Cinnamon horchata.

Also BariatricPal has fruit flavor protein mixes and Protein Shots. I’d highly recommend the protein shots for more immediately after surgery. They have protein hot cocoa and also protein broth or Soup. There is also Unjury that makes a broth flavored protein.

Being approved for surgery came after my birthday this. Year. This is definitely the best Christmas gift to get. It won’t be easy but it’s worth it. To know you have a fighting chance.

And Welcome also from Me, Red-headed, one- half the size I used to be, if I tell you I am now in the 180s you probably figure out how BIG I used to be. Anyway I'm 5 days past my 1st year Surgiversity, thrilled with my size Now, I can see my GOAL in sight of 175, and, ah yes I AM 73 YEARS young, so had my RNY at 72 and will turn 74 on December 26th. So if you need inspiration or ANYTHING I'm usually close to my Smartphone and love chatting and helping where I can. I really have learned SO MUCH since I joined Bariatric Pal. And my favorite Protein Shake is Ensure High Protein in 🍓 strawberry, it honestly reminds me of Nestle Strawberry Quik. No nasty after taste, not all that expensive, get mine from my local Wal-Mart.