Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I have moved here from Sleeves

Hi all :)

I had a VSG on 12th August and then developed a volvulus which they tried to fix endoscopically but it failed then ended up being given a bypass on the 21st. So I hadn't read as much about the bypass and all it involves because I had no idea I was going to end up with one :lol::lol::lol:

The Bariatric nurse rang today and said I need to be on 80g Protein a day instead of 60g as with the sleeve.

So, my issue is that the Protein Shakes (slim fast etc) are making me feel really unwell an hour or so after having them and I am guessing it is the high carb count in them even though they are sugar-free. So I am trying to avoid them. Also Vomiting... WHERE HAS IT GONE!? Vomiting is pretty much just a burp and a tiny amount of bile!? :o

I have whey isolate unflavoured, which I am making up my protein milk with (and some dried skim milk powder) and adding it to some of my drinks too. I will go and read through this forum re: food etc but is anyone making their own fresh Soup, adding protein and straining?

Cheers :D

5 minutes ago, Bastian said:

is anyone making their own fresh Soup, adding Protein and straining?

Absolutely, yes! Take note: Wait until the Soup cools some before adding the Protein Powder or it clumps! yuk!

Oh good tip thanks @Orchids&Dragons

1 minute ago, Bastian said:

Oh good tip thanks @Orchids&Dragons

Anytime! I made lots of soups/stews for family and just took out the liquids for me. They even accommodated that request in restaurants. I mean, after all, everyone else got lots more "goodies" in their Soup. Who's gonna complain?

Does the whey isolate make you feel bad? I am thinking that maybe it is lactose intolerance, which is not unusual post op, and the whey isolate is virtually free of latose, while other cheaper whey Proteins (blends, concentrates, etc.) that are probably what's in the slim fast, do still have lactose in them. Also compare to your powdered skim milk - that would also be a test of lactose intolerance. Just a thought....

@RickM hey :D No, fortunately, the whey isolate and powdered skim milk don't make me feel gross, so have decided to just use that instead.

I am just struggling (really struggling) with weakness/exhaustion, which as a nurse I know is normal after 2 major operations in such a short space of time, plus all the drugs, 2x general anaesthetic, morphine, oxy, fentanyl etc over that 2 weeks. I just am finding even getting into the kitchen to mix things up very tiring and I kind of collapse into a heap afterwards :) Small daily improvements though, just the pre-made stuff was easy to do you know? :) Also, got some severe back spasms going on so have started diazepam for those, so the next 3 days will be a bit of a very 'relaxed' blur while these silly back muscles calm down again :wacko:

I think I am just craving savoury flavours too, so over the sweet stuff.

Today I shall have 1 Protein milk latte and some Soups made with the whey isolate and protein milk plus my fluids.

It’s still sweet but have you tried the Protein waters? You may need to mix it with Water but it would be another way to get your protein in.

Protein premier salted Carmel half it with warm Water. Amazing warm like drinking dessert. sugar free peppermints crush it up in a chocolate Protein Drink and warm it up. Curbs to sweet craving and gets the protein in. Target sells a protein drink with 20gms of protein and raspberry. It is so sweet I cut it with water. Lots of little things you can do to make a sweet tooth happy. Tons of extract flavors you can add to vanilla protein to give it taste...Some days you love them and other days your stomachs can't tolerate them. It's just about day to day. I'm 3.5 months out and still not where I should be with Protein and fluids. I have grouchy pouch, warm is better for me always. I can tolerate 40 gms of protein a day and maybe 54oz of Fluid at most. It takes time to heal, some longer than others. Clearly I'm a slow healer. I had a UGI w/FT 2 months out and everything was still so swollen and moving slow I'm a nurse also and we are always more self critical

Edited by always
Adding

3 hours ago, always said:

Protein premier salted Carmel half it with warm Water. Amazing warm like drinking dessert. sugar free peppermints crush it up in a chocolate Protein Drink and warm it up. Curbs to sweet craving and gets the Protein in. Target sells a protein drink with 20gms of protein and raspberry. It is so sweet I cut it with Water. Lots of little things you can do to make a sweet tooth happy. Tons of extract flavors you can add to vanilla protein to give it taste...Some days you love them and other days your stomachs can't tolerate them. It's just about day to day. I'm 3.5 months out and still not where I should be with Protein and fluids. I have grouchy pouch, warm is better for me always. I can tolerate 40 gms of protein a day and maybe 54oz of Fluid at most. It takes time to heal, some longer than others. Clearly I'm a slow healer. I had a UGI w/FT 2 months out and everything was still so swollen and moving slow I'm a nurse also and we are always more self critical

Oh no, I am avoiding the sweet stuff, can't stand it :D I'm in the UK and the range of savoury protein stuff is pretty much non-existent.

So today I have used 2 chicken drumsticks, lots of fresh herbs, tons of veggies and got it all cooking slowly in a big pan, with 60g (400ml)added Protein Powder then another 200ml chicken stock. Once cooked I shall drain off the liquid for me and blend a few spoonfuls of meat/veg into the liquid.

THEN I shall just add chicken stock to the leftovers so hubby can have a chunky chicken veggie Soup :)