Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At home sleep study

I’m almost done with my requirements. I just have 2 more weigh ins, the endoscopy and sleep study. Everything is scheduled except for the sleep study.

I seen the pulmonologist today to get the order for the sleep study. He is ordering an at home sleep study instead of in a clinic. Has anyone had the sleep study done at home and it be accurate?

I have had both studies done around 10+ years apart.

Both showed sleep apnea. I didn’t wear the cpap mask ten years ago because I couldn’t sleep with it.

Last year I began using the cpap with the nose pillows and I can sleep just fine with it.

I am hoping the cpap goes away with the weight loss after rny on 10/15.

At home was better and less invasive. I found it difficult to sleep in a room hooked up to a lot of “stuff” and being video monitored. Eek! Lol

I don’t blame you! He suggested doing it at home since I have a 2 year old. Which I’m fine with doing it at home anyways lol.

I’m hoping to have it done before October because that’s my last weigh in is Oct 3rd. He told me I’ll hear from them in a few days. Most likely mid next week since it’s already Friday.

I had my study about 15 years ago and had to do mine in a sleep study clinic. The machines have come a long way since them. My machine is a auto titratating machine and it shows me each day how many apneas I have per hour. I'm down 76 pounds and my apneas average about 4.5 an hour. I'm hoping I can get off this machine in the next 6 months.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!

Note: I originally averaged 15 per hour. But, as I became heavier I think it got more severe.

Edited by gabybab

I haven't had an in home sleep study yet... but had two in their sleep study clinic... for me, I would have had a much better chance of actually sleeping for the sleep study if it had been done at home! For my first one, I didn't fall asleep until about an hour before it was scheduled to end. Thankfully they did identify my sleep apnea, but they were forced to bring me back a 2nd time for the titration study. I barely slept that night as well lol.

I had a sleep study done at the clinic and it was the best night sleep I've had in ages! haha. The room was so dark and quiet... didn't have my snoring husband next to me, twitching away all night.

I did the at home sleep study. Yes, it was accurate. I loved that I could do this from home.

I have sleep apnea for several years and have the study about 5 times. I've done a sleep study at home a couple of times. I didn't like the cables all attached and driving home along with the electronic device to record everything. 1st time it didn't get enough info as some of the probes came off my head.

The last few studies I have done have been in the office. Didn't get much sleep as they come in to fix any probe that came undone, and wake you up and try a CPAP machine if you need it. They also woke me up and kicked me out as soon as they had enough info.

Since I am post-op, I expect to have another study in the near future to be told I don't need the CPAP anymore.