Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone my name is Antonio. I am currently just over 3 months in to surgery I have lost a total of 95 pounds since Optifast. I am working on a side project of meal prep recipes in the last visit I went to go see my dietion she told me that we should be eating a total of no more than 5 percent fat per meal. After doing some research I discover 1 large egg has a fat percentage of 6 percent fat. But when I showed her picture of what I was eating she said it was OK I'm so confused.

IMG_20190828_100540_100.jpg

Looks good to me. But your pic looks like it is closer to 50% fat by FMP...

Yep, I was pretty dang close.

image.png.d5f1ef59cb2503c4cdaeaa16835cb621.png

For where you are right now, that meal is not a good meal. You should ideally right now be shooting for Protein that provides 1g protein per 10cals. The carbs are too high and too much fat respective to the protein.

I'd want to get at least 20g of protein ideally, out of 200 calories. That doesn't leave much shenanigans for carbs or fat if I am trying to max my nutrition.

I think that your RD is being pragmatic, and is satisfied that you are heading in the right direction. Also, if she is saying 5% per meal, that doesn't mean that all the components of the meal meet that number, but the meal as a whole (a bit of butter is 100% fat, but a small quantity will only be a part of the 5% overall for the meal. The avo in there is also high in fat, but the english muffin and salsa are low.

All of these numbers should be taken as guidelines or targets rather than absolutes - there is nothing magical about them. Some may be able to fit a Snickers bar into their daily allotment of calories, fat, carbs, etc., but that's the wrong idea - working on nutritious whole, real foods that are close to the stated numbers but represent the kind of habits that we should be developing is a better direction.

On the Protein front that Fluffy brings up, I think that this is a matter of context - if this meal is typical throughout the day, then yes, it is low in protein; but if is just a lower protein meal that goes along with higher protein meals during the day, then it is fine. When I was following these things more closely (because my calorie allotment was a lot lower then) I would check my progress during the day in planning dinner and beyond - am I high or low on protein trend? If I was high, then dinner could be a lower protein, more veg intensive meal, or if I was running low, then it would be a steak or something high in protein. Each meal doesn't have to be the same, or have the same macro numbers for things to make sense. Even today, I invariably have some protein in each meal or snack, but if they were all high protein, I would be way overloaded on protein and short on a lot of other nutrients.

56 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

It's the My Fitness Pal Daily food Log - Free Account

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I do log my food/exercise/water in MyFitnessPal...What amount of calories should I have it set to, along with the % of Protein, carbs, fats?

9 minutes ago, RickM said:

On the Protein front that Fluffy brings up, I think that this is a matter of context - if this meal is typical throughout the day, then yes, it is low in protein; but if is just a lower Protein meal that goes along with higher protein meals during the day, then it is fine. When I was following these things more closely (because my calorie allotment was a lot lower then) I would check my progress during the day in planning dinner and beyond - am I high or low on protein trend? If I was high, then dinner could be a lower protein, more veg intensive meal, or if I was running low, then it would be a steak or something high in protein. Each meal doesn't have to be the same, or have the same macro numbers for things to make sense. Even today, I invariably have some protein in each meal or snack, but if they were all high protein, I would be way overloaded on protein and short on a lot of other nutrients.

Absolutely 100% agree!

If this meal is indicative of his total meals...then protein is low, and carbs and fat are high (but healthy-er choices). But I fluctuate at meals like you, between high and lower protein meals and meals with more carbs via veggies, fruit, nuts, and seeds. The important thing is to get a variety of nutrients for the total day and meat my protein goal for the day from a variety of sources (including veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds--not just lean dense meatacular varieties). :D

Sorry, I shorthand stuff so often and it's confusing! Thanks Rick!!

Edited by FluffyChix

7 minutes ago, Goldn02Grl said:

I do log my food/exercise/water in MyFitnessPal...What amount of calories should I have it set to, along with the % of Protein, carbs, fats?

Honestly? Everyone's plan and body is different. Those numbers really must be determined by your surgeon or RD. They should give you goals for each stage of food--even the forever diet along with "Do not exceed volume per meal".

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Honestly? Everyone's plan and body is different. Those numbers really must be determined by your surgeon or RD. They should give you goals for each stage of food--even the forever diet along with "Do not exceed volume per meal".

Yeah....Well..I have a NUT (that is pretty good, but didn't really give me that--just a "book.")...I am researching and reading a lot and watching great videos. I ordered me a few cookbooks and a food/exercise journal comes today (Amazon is the devil!).

Just now, Goldn02Grl said:

Yeah....Well..I have a NUT (that is pretty good, but didn't really give me that--just a "book.")...I am researching and reading a lot and watching great videos. I ordered me a few cookbooks and a food/exercise journal comes today (Amazon is the devil!).

You don't have free access to her post op? We did cover all of that before surgery, but I still see her after surgery and we talk about targets. I can even drop an email to her if I have a quick question like that...IF you don't have a good one, I honestly believe it's VITALLY important to your long term success to find one and "get your band back together". It's your post op team who will support you over the next 5 years (a transition stage for success).

This is important cuz the new study just out links After Care AS important in successful weight loss and maintenance after surgery as the pre-op program and surgery are to long term success. Get a bariatric RD and a bariatric psych, a RL support group, here online, and continue with your doc visits as scheduled. So important!