Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely Anxious Surgery 2 Days Away

I hate being the negative individual in any sense but my anxiety is currently ruling my life. I’m two days out from surgery and the panic is real. My concern is with surgery itself and going under. Im so afraid of complications and having to be alone in the operation room with strangers. I struggle with serious anxiety and ptsd normally. They are just completely revealing their ugly heads this week. Any advice?

Those strangers in the OR really, really, really have a lot invested in a successful, uneventful procedure. They want a great record of success, remember that. It is normal to have anxiety before surgery. Deep breaths. Keep busy. Come here and look at the photos and postings of the successful people.

You will barely get a look at those strangers and will quickly be in lala land.😀

I was the same …..keep your chin up. Remember everyone is different! (I am about to make some enemies) This is a good and informative site, but do not be overwhelmed by some of the horror stories on here. Its a double edged sword. Pre surgery this site almost talked me out of getting surgery. But, post surgery this site has been the best thing ever. There is a great deal of support for each other

Edited by Guest
extra word

I agree with you Mike, reading the horror stories definitely hasn’t been much help. I’m happy to know there’s another side of this. Thanks everyone for the feedback

It will be over before you know it.

Remember, all of those guys in the OR have had years and decades of training and hard work to be in the position to be trusted enough to be in that room with you.
As a healthcare professional myself, I take great pride and joy in a job well done and a patient well served. These guys are all gonna be there to make sure you have the very best outcome possible.

Once you get there you will almost certainly have a few moments of panic.
Operating rooms are cold and sterile (which is a great thing) but they appear scary to a newbie and you do feel so alone. Everyone seems so distant because they are focusing on their #1 priority for the next couple of hours ... which is you. Please keep that in mind to help alleviate the isolation you might encounter.

The day I had my surgery, an ice storm moved into town. I made sure to thank each and every person in that room as they wheeled me in and set me up because I wanted to make sure they knew ahead of time I appreciated their time, effort and sacrifice to be there that day to help one of my dreams come true. It made me feel more connected to them as I was being hauled into the table and as they were about to put me into lala land.
I actually had them to focus on instead of my immediate terror and it helped.