Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2019 surgery peeps?

Hi. October 18th here. I also have a hiatal hernia that needs repair. 58 y/o and ready for this. Good luck to everyone

I am having mine on the 18th as well :-) best of luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey October peeps. I am 7 days post op as of today. 11 lbs gone as of today. I stayed one night in the hospital. The staff was wonderful. I had the achy gas in my chest the first couple of days but after I started walking that went away. I am on the liquid diet now and will continue that another week. Can't wait til the pureed food stage. I haven't seen my scale budge in awhile and it is so nice to get on the scale now and see a difference. I am so excited about this new way of life It's tough, but the payoff is going to be amazing! Good vibes to everyone! :)

12 minutes ago, Tiffgarcia22 said:

I am a week away from surgery, how is everyone doing on the liquid diet? I am definitely struggling

I am about 7 days into the pre-op diet, and have surgery on Monday the 28th.

One thing that worked for me was chicken Bone Broth. I know others have mentioned it, but it really did kill my head hunger. Hope this helps!

33 minutes ago, Tiffgarcia22 said:

I am a week away from surgery, how is everyone doing on the liquid diet? I am definitely struggling

I have a few days left, my surgery, like Losing for Jack's is Monday, 10/28. I have the Unjury Protein broth that helps and, when I can't stomach another shake, I use that (I like salt more than sweet). The first few days are the hardest, then it's much better. Broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops (also crystal light when you can't do any more plain Water or need flavor to trick the hunger) are so necessary. A lot of people in my area must be doing this surgery or have had it, because SF ice pops are so much harder to find than you'd think. Also, I asked a vendor at a hockey game for a SF Italian ice and you would have thought I asked for $1 million. Seriously hard to find any friendly things out and about (it didn't hurt to ask - well, it didn't hurt me....you should have seen her face 😆

48 hours I'll be at the hospital for my RNY surgery :D

It's going on Saturday morning here in No California. My VSG is Monday! I had my official weigh in at the nutritionist's Friday afternoon and I had lost 13 lbs since I started the liquid diet on Oct 14! So I'm down 27 lbs since I started all the steps in the program back in May. I did not cheat the entire time on the liquids until today. But I only had bites of things, not an entire meal. I went shopping for non-food items after my weigh in, like toiletries, slippers, sports bras, comfortable undies, a comfortable pajama gown. Then shopped Amazon Prime for an abdominal binder, Benefiber, Probiotics, sublingual B12, Tomorrow or Sunday I will get the post-op food items on the list I received from the nutritionist. I've been cleaning the house these past few days, and even totally cleaned and organized the refrigerator and pantry. Catching up on laundry and any upcoming bills. My hubby is taking off Monday-Wednesday. I have to check in at 0930 Monday for 1130 surgery. I can't believe it's finally 2 days away. Let's keep supporting one another and hoping n praying for the best possible outcome!

Hello all! I had my RNY on 10/18. I have been pleasantly surprised by my recovery. The weekend of surgery there was soreness of course, but by Tuesday I was relatively pain-free. My twin sister also had a RNY, but 2 years before I did.I was concerned about nausea but didn't experience any. I think I didn't because of the way my doctor did my leak test vs. the way hers did. I went to the farmers market with my family this morning and had no problems getting around. I hope everyone is doing well on their journey.

4 minutes ago, SassyTwin said:

Hello all! I had my RNY on 10/18. I have been pleasantly surprised by my recovery. The weekend of surgery there was soreness of course, but by Tuesday I was relatively pain-free. My twin sister also had a RNY, but 2 years before I did.I was concerned about nausea but didn't experience any. I think I didn't because of the way my doctor did my leak test vs. the way hers did. I went to the farmers market with my family this morning and had no problems getting around. I hope everyone is doing well on their journey.

That's great to hear I'm going in tomorrow to have my RNY surgery 😀

13 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

That's great to hear I'm going in tomorrow to have my RNY surgery 😀

Good luck today!

Congrats to all October Peeps! I just want to share this with my fellow sleevers: the VOLUMETRIC INCENTIVE SPIROMETER (I/S) is one of my best friends since surgery. After surgery, It felt like an aching pain at first that I later describe to the nurse as an uncomfortable feeling in my chest , back, and or shoulder. At first the nurse gave me a hot Water bag that I was able to lay on and another nurse even massaged my shoulder. I got up to walk but nothing was working until the Tech came in and asked me to start using my I/S device every hour.... let -me-tell-you after the first few inhales and painful coughs( I was like thank you Jesus) i started feeling better. I sorta-of went off on a couple of nurses😉 because I didn't understand why I was given the hot water bag and massages if all i needed was my I/S device, now i was questioning their experience.(nurses Lani and Juan will probably never forget me😁)

I am 6 days post sleeve surgery, and as of today I still use my I/S device daily, not every hour. The cough is still uncomfortable but the relief i feel in my upper shoulder makes it all worth it.❤️

I’m getting ready to leave for the hospital in about an hour! Today’s the day. It hasn’t totally hit me yet, but it will once I step foot into the hospital! Here goes! I’ll check back in on here once I’m up for it.

Oh Wow @LoriLynnRN It's on and poppin now...Congrats and best wishes …. keep in touch...….

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches