Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s your favorite protein shake

Hi guys. In 10 days I start my two week pre-op diet. I can only have Protein Shakes during this time. I’m a bit lost as to which one to buy. My doc says any brand will do so which ones do you recommend?

I absolutely cannot stand Protein Shakes because i hate the taste of Protein Powder and it's usually really strong in the shakes. The only ones I can tolerate are Ensure Mocha and Caramel Premier (WITH coffee ONLY)

Everyone's different though. What I did was I bought one of each (that looked interesting to me) and tried them all.

Good luck!

Premier peach

I would also suggest buying Fairlife milk. Initially it was hard for me to drink the shakes so I added a little of the milk (it’s higher protein) to make the shakes taste better. I still add a few ounces of milk even now.

I would also suggest buying Fairlife milk. Initially it was hard for me to drink the shakes so I added a little of the milk (it’s higher protein) to make the shakes taste better. I still add a few ounces of milk even now.
Add banana extract. I couldn't drink them either but with banana extract I had no problem. I actually didn't mind the Protein Drinks after.

Sent from my SM-G973W using BariatricPal mobile app

18 shake. Only ones that keep my full longest and good Protein carb ratio.

Ensure strawberry High Protein, tastes like Nestle Strawberry Quik, no fakey flakey evaporated milk taste, no aftertaste either. Not grainy, doesn't leave your tongue feeling smiley and vile.

And you didn't ask but my Current Favorite Protein Bar is Pure Protein Lemon Bar, one of the few I can much on without my dentures, usually split it in two because it fills me pretty well.

I am enjoying Premiere chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. Using the caramel in my coffee and the banana in my Farina

I like the pro Muscle Milk vs the Genuine Muscle Milk as the pro has 32 grams of Protein and the Genuine only 25 grams. I also would buy the Vega chocolate powder and add a scoop of Peanut Butter powder. It was delicious

it's hard to say because everyone's tastes are so different. I like Syntrax and Unjury products.

you could always pick up a bunch of individual packets from somewhere like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe so you're not blowing a lot of money on a huge tub of something that you end up hating. If you don't have one of those stores nearby, you can order online from either them or Amazon (Syntrax has a variety pack of individual flavors). Bariatric Pal Store may carry them as well.

My advice would be to get some suggestions and try them. Everyone's tastes are different and it is common for your tastes to change after surgery, so be prepared to have to change after surgery.

Before surgery, I was pretty faithful to the Unjury Protein powder line. But, they just weren't convenient. So, I tried the Premier Protein ready-to-drink line that so many on this and other boards liked. I liked them and they were easily available in most flavors. My favorite: choc, vanilla, caramel.

After surgery, I hated the Premier RTD. They were too sweet. They were too thick and slimy. I just could not choke them down. I tried some Bariatric Advantage samples from my doc and they were OK. But, I ultimately went back to Unjury. They also make ready-to-drink. I got a free sample with my last order and it was actually pretty good.

*I also second the Fair Life milk. That was a staple in my refrigerator for the first 6 months.

I didn't experience a huge shift in my taste or preferences post op. I think cuz I was already low carb and in ketosis prior to surgery. Things did seem a bit sweeter, but not drastically and so I just adjusted things by adding Protein drinks to things:

1. Decaff coffee (blend or on ice, or hot! YUM!): Bananas and Cream + Decaff = the bomb = CocomoJoe Coffee (iced or hot or blended)

2. Decaff Tea (any fruit flavored like strawberries and cream, peaches and cream, etc) = flavortown

3. Fairlife Fat Free Milk + any flavor Protein Drink = yummy!

4. Clear Premier Protein Fruit Punch or Orange Mango + Water = delish and refreshing!

5. Isopure Unflavored Protein Powder + broths + spices = delish

6. Synthrax nectar = Lemon Iced Tea, or Pink Grapefruit, or Fuzzy Navel = LOVE

7. Any Premier Protein Fruit Flavor mixed with Greek Yogurt or Plain Kefir to make a drinkable yogurt or yogurt Soup.

I still use Premier Protein Drinks and love:

Bananas and Cream

Strawberries and Cream

Peaches and Cream

chocolate

Vanilla

I like Premier Protein pre-made shakes, but I only like them when they are cold. I also like muscle milk just fine (powdered).