Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disneyland/Theme Park Post Op Experiences?

So, I am scheduled for surgery next week. I also HAVE to take my daughter to Disneyland just shy of 5 weeks later. I know to check in with my doctor before I go. I know I need to plan ahead for nutrition. I also know my stamina will not be back at my pre-op levels. I know that I also probably won't be able to tolerate some rides. Thankfully, I am very familiar with them and I know which ones not to attempt if my doctor still has any concerns or I am not feeling well enough to do them. That said, my daughter is scheduled to dance at Disney, therefore, I AM going. We are supposed to be there for 3 days (1 California Adventure, 2 Disneyland). Sending her with another family is not really an option. And I might end up taking another girl with (the one I would have sent my daughter with doesn't have a way to get there).

I was just wondering if any of you visited any theme parks at 4-5 weeks post op (or shortly before/after). What were your experiences? Could you go on all the rides? Some of the rides? Were you too exhausted? Did you have to take breaks in the park or did you have to go back to your hotel? How did you handle food? Did you have any negative complications as a result? Did you have to drive far to get there? How did that go? Did you attempt to get "medical" accommodations or was that not necessary because you were feeling so good?

I know Disney allows a 6pack size cooler, but allows for larger ones to accommodate medical needs. I also know that they have a service where if you can't stand in line for 45 minutes or more for medical reasons you can go to the front with your medical/disability pass and they give you a special fast pass to come back when the line you would have gotten to the front of the line if you had stood there. I also know they have tightened up their practices due to misuse. I don't expect to be fast tracked past people, they don't do that anymore even with permanent disabilities... they use this new medical version of the fast pass so that people aren't misusing it just to cut in line.

Just took my boys to universal a couple weeks ago, I brought my huge water bottle filled with Protein Powder and lots of healthy Snacks. I’m over a year out, so not the same but just plan ahead and you’ll do great

I certainly can't speak to the rides but as for the stamina I would think you'd be back in action by then. I am 10 days out and just traveled about 4 hrs to Celebrate my daughters engagement and stay 2 nights, If you asked me last week I couldn't imagine being here. However we arrived and have been doing nothing but walking and bopping from place to place. You got this

As far as rides go, Im 6 weeks post, and last week i went to six flags and went on every roller coaster they had. Doc told me i was good to go. i didnt feel any discomfort. But hey thats me. I would say start off light and go from there. Youll know what you can and cannot do,

Edited by JAKE H

52 minutes ago, JAKE H said:

As far as rides go, Im 6 weeks post, and last week i went to six flags and went on every roller coaster they had. Doc told me i was good to go. i didnt feel any discomfort. But hey thats me. I would say start off light and go from there. Youll know what you can and cannot do,

That is great and what I am HOPING to hear! I am more than willing to take it easy if I need to, but it would be "oh so boring"! Were you able to tolerate standing in line too? Or did you do a fast pass?

I waited in some lines. It wasnt too busy. Longest wait was 45 minutes. And i was fine. I always had a bottle of Water with me and i bought a couple Protein Snacks. I walked as soon as i could everyday after surgey as well, so i felt great. I highly recommend walking a lot so youre ready for it. But overall i felt better then i have in a long time at a park. I fit on everything and i wasnt sweating terribly. it was a great experience. I hope you have a great time.

2 minutes ago, JAKE H said:

I waited in some lines. It wasnt too busy. Longest wait was 45 minutes. And i was fine. I always had a bottle of Water with me and i bought a couple Protein Snacks. I walked as soon as i could everyday after surgey as well, so i felt great. I highly recommend walking a lot so youre ready for it. But overall i felt better then i have in a long time at a park. I fit on everything and i wasnt sweating terribly. it was a great experience. I hope you have a great time.

Thanks! Yes, I walked early after each of my 3 c-sections, so I am guessing this will be the same as far as getting up and moving. Glad you had a great time!