Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does weight loss start slowing down the more you lose weight?

Hello!

I hope everyone's doing well!

So I've been trying to set some goals for myself (weight wise) and I'm unsure on how to predict weight loss in the future. Will weight loss start to slow down the more you lose it? Logic is telling me yes but for me it hasn't so far so i'm thinking that that might not be the case. I've been losing pretty much the exact amount of weight every month for 4 months now. (I had surgery about 5 months ago) Even though I've dropped so much weight I'm still losing the same amount every month. So should I expect to keep losing the same amount or should I expect a decrease? I don't want to underestimate too much and end up setting an easily achieved goal (I think if I reached it early I'd feel like it was too easy and stop trying as hard). I want something that'll push me but also be more realistic.

I know you lose the most weight your first year after surgery, the "honeymoon" phase, so the goal I want to set is still within the year. I had surgery in April and the goal date I want to set is New Year's Day. So I'll be about 9 months out.

Has anyone experienced weight loss slowing down the more you lose weight? Or has it been consistent?

For people that have reached their goal weight, did it get harder to lose it the closer you got?

Well obviously the closer to your goal the less to shed so definitely the final 20-30lbs can take just as long as the first 100lbs.

Just like ppl from 600lb life losing 100lbs the first month because they have 400 to lose.

Most people need at least 6 months to lose 100lbs but it all comes down to your total EXCESS WEIGHT %

for the best chance at success you need to be strict from day 1 follow your plan to the letter!!

yes. I lost pretty rapidly the first six months or so, then it slowed down quite a bit. Once I was a year out, it REALLY slowed down - like to maybe 2 lbs a month.

Both in regular diets and after bariatric surgery it has slowed down quite a bit. If I were to increase exercise and cut calories now it may make a difference.

If you can get from a BMI of 70 to a BMI of 20 in 12 months, please share your secrets! 135lbs in 4 months is amazinngggg.

And yeah, much slower. I lose 7-10lbs per month as opposed to 20+.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:47 PM, mousecat88 said:

If you can get from a BMI of 70 to a BMI of 20 in 12 months, please share your secrets! 135lbs in 4 months is amazinngggg.

And yeah, much slower. I lose 7-10lbs per month as opposed to 20+.

Haha thank you! To be honest it's mostly because I haven't been getting enough Protein in at all! I know, that's very bad. I just can't stomach the shakes or anything with a powder in it. I try to eat as much chicken and turkey and high protein foods as I can but that too is limited to 1/2 a cup/ meal.

I also did a lot of cardio this summer so that helped with the calorie deficit. Lately I haven't been going to the gym as much because school and work started and I've been really busy. So I'm trying to keep my calorie intake at a minimum so that I can continue to be in a similar amount of calorie deficit. Right now, I'm usually not eating more than 200-250 calories a day (60 of them are calories from vitamins).

Again, I know that sounds really unhealthy especially since I'm supposed to keep up with my protein goals but It's a struggle and I'm trying...

35 minutes ago, april042019 said:

Haha thank you! To be honest it's mostly because I haven't been getting enough Protein in at all! I know, that's very bad. I just can't stomach the shakes or anything with a powder in it. I try to eat as much chicken and turkey and high Protein foods as I can but that too is limited to 1/2 a cup/ meal.

I also did a lot of cardio this summer so that helped with the calorie deficit. Lately I haven't been going to the gym as much because school and work started and I've been really busy. So I'm trying to keep my calorie intake at a minimum so that I can continue to be in a similar amount of calorie deficit. Right now, I'm usually not eating more than 200-250 calories a day (60 of them are calories from vitamins).

Again, I know that sounds really unhealthy especially since I'm supposed to keep up with my protein goals but It's a struggle and I'm trying...

you are correct - very unhealthy. Your body is probably eating your muscles for energy.

On 08/28/2019 at 22:37, catwoman7 said:

you are correct - very unhealthy. Your body is probably eating your muscles for energy.

Agree! You really need to find a Protein you can tolerate. There are tons of options beyond powdersc and shakes at the BariatricPal Store.

Also many (most?) of us don’t love the shakes and powders, but we do it because we have to. Sometimes you just have to suck it up for your health!

This one I got just opened it today 1 scoop with Water in a shaker cup and shake for 10secs no lumps at all and tastes amazing like chocolate milk shake :D

Aside from the Protein, only 140 calories a day??? (Since 60 are from vitamins) That's like week 2 levels, not 4 months. Yikes. Maybe contact your dietitian???

Yes that's weird each shake would be around 140kcal

14 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

This one I got just opened it today 1 scoop with Water in a shaker cup and shake for 10secs no lumps at all and tastes amazing like chocolate milk shake :D

Really? What is it called??

15 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Agree! You really need to find a Protein you can tolerate. There are tons of options beyond powdersc and shakes at the BariatricPal Store.

Also many (most?) of us don’t love the shakes and powders, but we do it because we have to. Sometimes you just have to suck it up for your health!

It's not that I don't love them, but 95% of the shakes i've tried i couldn't even tolerate a few sips. The only ones I could tolerate were the Ensure Mocha (which i was told I couldn't drink because of its caffeine content) and the Caramel Premier with Decaf coffee.

I used to drink them as much as I could at first but then when I started eating more I decided I'd try getting my Protein from actual food instead. I obviously failed at that and just forgot about the shakes. You're right though, I'm going to try doing them again.

14 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Aside from the Protein, only 140 calories a day??? (Since 60 are from vitamins) That's like week 2 levels, not 4 months. Yikes. Maybe contact your dietitian???

I thought of getting an appointment with her but to be honest the last time I saw her I felt like she wasn't helpful at all. All she would tell me was to follow her pinterest.

I don't even know if insurance will cover another appointment with her or anyone else for that matter. I'll try though.

Thank you!