Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG surgery scheduled for Monday

Hi everyone this is my first post here. I am having surgery on Monday at 8 am. My stats are 48 yrs old, 5'7, HW 280, CW 265, not sure on a goal weight yet. I would like to stay in touch with others who are going or have gone through this procedure.

I am feeling excited and nervous. Is there anyone else here in Canada who has gone through Smartshape in Toronto?

Anyone here with stats similar to mine who have gone through this? What have your results been like?PhotoCollage_20190810_192526072.jpeg 20190822_161814.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965W using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations and welcome! And don’t be! I was nervous about surgery but thankfully the day of I just focused on my breathing which calmed me down and now I am 5 days post op! I even have posted how my procedure went if you want to read how it went with others.

I got the sleeve
I am 22yrs old
Height is 5’2”
Highest weight known: 274
Highest weight recorded: 270
Pre-Op appointment weight: 270.6
Day of surgery weight: 266.8
(With only a 2day clear liquid diet)
Today’s weight (5days PO) 258.4

Congratulations and welcome! And don’t be! I was nervous about surgery but thankfully the day of I just focused on my breathing which calmed me down and now I am 5 days post op! I even have posted how my procedure went if you want to read how it went with others.

I got the sleeve
I am 22yrs old
Height is 5’2”
Highest weight known: 274
Highest weight recorded: 270
Pre-Op appointment weight: 270.6
Day of surgery weight: 266.8
(With only a 2day clear liquid diet)
Today’s weight (5days PO) 258.4
Thank you for the response, how do I read about your experience?

On 08/24/2019 at 14:43, hazel_ize said:

Thank you for the response, how do I read about your experience?

If you select my username it should prompt you to all the forums I’ve commented on. It’s named “August 19,2019 surgery check in”

Another way is if you use the search and type in “August 19,2019 surgery check in”

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery! This is a very supportive site. Let us know how you're doing!

My stats are similar to yours except that I was 58 when I had the surgery. I'm just shy of 5'7", started at 272 in Feb 2018, have been maintaining in the 140s since April of this year.

Hi everyone this is my first post here. I am having surgery on Monday at 8 am. My stats are 48 yrs old, 5'7, HW 280, CW 265, not sure on a goal weight yet. I would like to stay in touch with others who are going or have gone through this procedure.
I am feeling excited and nervous. Is there anyone else here in Canada who has gone through Smartshape in Toronto?
Anyone here with stats similar to mine who have gone through this? What have your results been like?PhotoCollage_20190810_192526072.thumb.jpeg.0f46c0d8d6adb1fe9cd127ac06648a47.jpeg 20190822_161814.thumb.jpeg.49cea57292336d3589f3d11ed475e0c5.jpeg

Welcome and I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey!! This has been the best decision I've made. I researched it for years before actually going through with it. My only regret is not having surgery sooner! I was more excited than nervous about surgery. The morning of surgery went by really fast, everyone involved in the surgery prep process was kind and supportive. My surgery and recovery went amazingly well. Hope yours goes as well as mine! You've got this!!

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 248
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome, this is a great place for support and information. I will tell you that I have had over 20 surgeries and I am nervous each time, it is completely normal. I always ask for something to calm me and they usually will give you something like Versed . After that you won't remember anything until you wake up from surgery. I wish you the best and will be watching for your return!

Good luck! I had my surgery on Aug. 20.

• 5’6
  • age 56
  • 1st. Surgical consult 374# April 2019
  • preop 328# August 20, 2019
  • Weight 346# on August 22, 2019 (post op at home) 2 days later
  • The weight GAIN was a surprise as I thought I would have lost at least a couple of pounds, however, I was pumped full of fluids due to dehydration.
  • Current weight 343#
  • You’ll do great!!!!

And WL for you will kick into gear soon, as your body wrings out your surgical bloat! If you want a Little inspiration, last September 5th My Surgery Date I was 319, a little less than 1 year later I weighed myself at 185.3 today. And I am now 73 years old, with the natural Basal Metabolism of a Seasick Sea Slug, soooo if I can do it, most everyone can do it too. AND as YOU start losing too, I'm right over here cheering YOU on to a Victory Goal!

Congratulations on your pending surgery. I had my GSV last Wednesday. I am 67. I always swore that I would NEVER get over 300 pounds. Three times in my life, I have lost 75 pounds on my own. But unless I maintained a rigorous exercise regiment and a super strict diet, the weight would slowly come back. Then about 18 months ago I got on the scale and weighed in at 315! That was it for me. I have 3 ruptured discs in the lumbar region of my back and so cannot walk or stand for any length of time. I began by really truly using my Fitbit. I began to keep a food diary, entering my Water intake, and logging my exercise.

I have a recumbent bike and started riding five to seven times a week, starting for ten minutes and then adding five minutes every two weeks until I could ride for thirty minutes. at 13 to 14 MPH.

I created a playlist of high energy songs (the kind that makes your feet move). Then sitting on a chair and moving my legs and arms to the beat of the music for 30 to 60 minutes a day. It probably doesn't sound like that would work but it does. My heart rate averaged about 115 beats and often reach 150 and the swear poured off of me.

I usually lifted my two pound weights for fifty times before I started chair dancing, fifteen minutes after stating my chair dancing and after I finished my chair dancing.

I could not imagine myself successfully sticking to a liquid diet for two weeks but I did and I continued with my exercise program. On August 21, 2019 as I was bei8ng prepped for surgery I weighed in at 262 pounds!

We were advised by my surgeon's PA-C that we would vomit at least once after the surgery. However, I HATE vomiting so I have been very careful about how quickly I ingest my continuing liquid diet. To date, I have yet had to do that which I hate. I just concentrate on eating and drinking s l o w.

The nutritionist recommended Isopure unflavored Protein to add to broth so I bought some (I live in a very rural area so I rely on Amazon). Isopure also has a flavored protein that you can add to water and I bought that in Mixed berry and that has proven to make staying on the liquid diet relatively painless.

Now, for a treat I found on Amazon and not only is it delicious but the nutritionist was excited when I told her about it. It is Sans Sucre Mousse mixes. They are frothy, light, sugar free and very low fat when made with skim milk.

I stepped on the scale (once my fiercest foe) and as of today I am down to 257. I have never felt so confident in my ability to lose the weight and this time to keep it off. I have always eaten relatively healthy (I admit to some bad habits though) but my biggest challenge was always Portion Control. The surgery is helping me with that aspect of weight control but over the months that I prepared for the surgery, I have developed the habit of exercising faithfully. I do not let myself leave my bedroom until I have ridden my recumbent bike for thirty minutes at the barest minimum of exercise for the day.

This is not to say, that the surgery was easy. Anyone who thinks this is a silver bullet for weight loss, has never done it. While I strive to eat and drink slowly, I still manage to go too fast and the result is NOT pleasant. The surgeon prescribed a medication to help with the cramping and nausea and I am definitely using it. Admittedly, I felt extremely tired after the surgery for about three days (however, part of that was due to the fact that I had to travel about two hundred miles home). But yesterday, I felt so energetic. I decided to not resume exercising until tomorrow (I cleared this with the surgeon).

So, good luck on your surgery. Even at this early date, I am very glad that I had the surgery.

Congratulations on your pending surgery. I had my GSV last Wednesday. I am 67. I always swore that I would NEVER get over 300 pounds. Three times in my life, I have lost 75 pounds on my own. But unless I maintained a rigorous exercise regiment and a super strict diet, the weight would slowly come back. Then about 18 months ago I got on the scale and weighed in at 315! That was it for me. I have 3 ruptured discs in the lumbar region of my back and so cannot walk or stand for any length of time. I began by really truly using my Fitbit. I began to keep a food diary, entering my Water intake, and logging my exercise.
I have a recumbent bike and started riding five to seven times a week, starting for ten minutes and then adding five minutes every two weeks until I could ride for thirty minutes. at 13 to 14 MPH.
I created a playlist of high energy songs (the kind that makes your feet move). Then sitting on a chair and moving my legs and arms to the beat of the music for 30 to 60 minutes a day. It probably doesn't sound like that would work but it does. My heart rate averaged about 115 beats and often reach 150 and the swear poured off of me.
I usually lifted my two pound weights for fifty times before I started chair dancing, fifteen minutes after stating my chair dancing and after I finished my chair dancing.
I could not imagine myself successfully sticking to a liquid diet for two weeks but I did and I continued with my exercise program. On August 21, 2019 as I was bei8ng prepped for surgery I weighed in at 262 pounds!
We were advised by my surgeon's PA-C that we would vomit at least once after the surgery. However, I HATE vomiting so I have been very careful about how quickly I ingest my continuing liquid diet. To date, I have yet had to do that which I hate. I just concentrate on eating and drinking s l o w.
The nutritionist recommended Isopure unflavored Protein to add to broth so I bought some (I live in a very rural area so I rely on Amazon). Isopure also has a flavored Protein that you can add to Water and I bought that in Mixed berry and that has proven to make staying on the liquid diet relatively painless.
Now, for a treat I found on Amazon and not only is it delicious but the nutritionist was excited when I told her about it. It is Sans Sucre Mousse mixes. They are frothy, light, sugar free and very low fat when made with skim milk.
I stepped on the scale (once my fiercest foe) and as of today I am down to 257. I have never felt so confident in my ability to lose the weight and this time to keep it off. I have always eaten relatively healthy (I admit to some bad habits though) but my biggest challenge was always Portion Control. The surgery is helping me with that aspect of weight control but over the months that I prepared for the surgery, I have developed the habit of exercising faithfully. I do not let myself leave my bedroom until I have ridden my recumbent bike for thirty minutes at the barest minimum of exercise for the day.
This is not to say, that the surgery was easy. Anyone who thinks this is a silver bullet for weight loss, has never done it. While I strive to eat and drink slowly, I still manage to go too fast and the result is NOT pleasant. The surgeon prescribed a medication to help with the cramping and nausea and I am definitely using it. Admittedly, I felt extremely tired after the surgery for about three days (however, part of that was due to the fact that I had to travel about two hundred miles home). But yesterday, I felt so energetic. I decided to not resume exercising until tomorrow (I cleared this with the surgeon).
So, good luck on your surgery. Even at this early date, I am very glad that I had the surgery.

Well done bethow!!! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122] I also just had the surgery 9 days ago and still felt inspired by your determination!!! If you can do it then I can too!![emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanking of you today! Hope your surgery is over and that everything went as well as can be!

hazel_ize i would love to hear from you when you can!? On how you are doing

hazel_ize i would love to hear from you when you can!? On how you are doing
Hi Bianca....im doing fairly well now....down about 9 lbs since surgery last monday..... and feeling better every day. I'm struggling with Constipation which is a first for me though..... [emoji58] today is the first say of purees for me...not sure what to make.... yet haha..... how are things with you?

On 09/03/2019 at 10:06, hazel_ize said:

Hi Bianca....im doing fairly well now....down about 9 lbs since surgery last monday..... and feeling better every day. I'm struggling with Constipation which is a first for me though..... today is the first say of purees for me...not sure what to make.... yet haha..... how are things with you?

Aweome!!

Oh no, maybe ask your team what you can do to help. I struggle with that but on solids/semi solids, started 3 days ago and I’ve only gone once.

I’m doing fine I feel great and can’t wait to see the progress of me losing :)