Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Rollercoaster

I Absolutely love all my pieces in my closet and have had such a difficult time letting anything go. I am exactly 7 months post op and ... yesss I still wear my pre surgery clothes. I try and alter them or take and have them taken in or just wear it. Lol , my family tells me to go purchase new clothes. I am having a difficult time with doing this because I don’t want new items just want the items I already have lol...... all my shoes are to big and I walk right out of them... I need to purchase items but I am opting on waiting another month or two if I can. I’m roughly 94lbs down from my highest weight. I find leggings, drawstring items or skirts work with the constant weight loss.

On 08/24/2019 at 07:05, catwoman7 said:

I bought everything (except underwear and swimsuits) from Goodwill and other thrift stores until I hit maintenance. I was blowing through sizes so fast that it just wasn't worth buying new things.

This.

I found a couple of really nice consignment stores within a few miles of home. It has been such a saver on the pocketbook, plus it allows me to pick up some nice stuff to reward myself as I cycle down.
For example, I found a very nice Polka Dot Lauren dress to wear to a wedding this summer for $12/ then returned it for resale the next week and they gave me back $4 store credit on it.

I’ve now gone down enough sizes (size 22 on surgery day to a size 12 today) that I’ve actually sold back a few of the pieces I got in early summer.
It’s nice because I’ve got almost $100 store credit and will be looking to get some fall clothes once I’ve lost another 7-10 pounds and have moved into size 10s

I am still pre op and I have lost 23 pounds but I am still in the same size. They are looser but not enough to go down to the next size. What is everyone’s experience with moving to the next size and the amount of weight they have lost?

On 09/03/2019 at 08:43, grommie said:

I am still pre op and I have lost 23 pounds but I am still in the same size. They are looser but not enough to go down to the next size. What is everyone’s experience with moving to the next size and the amount of weight they have lost?

Okay so it depends on your height, weight and body composition.
When I was a size 22/24, I would have to lose 20-ish pounds to go down a size.
I’m 5’7”, was reasonably fit for a 50yo woman in the high 250’s.

Now I’m still in my losing phase. I’m 164 pounds, and a size 12 pants/medium tops.
I find as I get closer to goal, I can drop just 5 pounds and my pants don’t fit anymore.

I started Pilates 1 month PO, and I hit my treadmill 1-2 times weekly for some cardio.
I have a scale at home that breaks down % of fat,muscle,water and it’s my fat % that keeps dramatically dropping.

So my theory is that WLS surgery alters our metabolisms to burn straight fat and not convert muscle to energy.
That way, every single pound we lose is pure stored fat, which makes for so much more dramatic of a size difference.

People my current size who have never had WLS would rarely drop a whole pant size from “just” losing 5 pounds.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:07 AM, Butterfly#7 said:

When did you start buying new clothing? I’m finding that since I keep losing weight what I buy today may be too big next month. This has already happened to me, I bought a suit just a couple of weeks ago and now it’s too big. I’m not complaining but just wondering how everyone else handles their size changes in regards to clothing?

I went to a thrift store during weight loss phase.

I’ve been buying clothing all the way down at the same places I’ve been making money selling my “way too bigs”; Poshmark and Mercari! I can’t post my links but you can do the same and find a great wardrobe while making money off your too big clothing.

I also find nice pieces at Clothes Mentor and Plato’s Closet.