Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ADHD Medication Malabsorption after Gastric Bypass

Hey guys!

So I'm just starting medication for my ADHD and my doctor prescribed me Concerta. I've been reading a little bit about it and with it being an extended time release medication, I'm thinking maybe it wont work because of malabsorption issues after gastric bypass. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, though, and waited to try it for a few days before judging. But I don't feel like it's doing anything. I've taken Adderall before and immediately felt an improvement. Could this just be because it's in my head? Has anyone had any similar issues with these types of medications? What worked for you? Recommendations?

I forgot to tell my psychiatrist about my surgery so when I realized this I called her office and left her a message but she never got back.

(Im going to be 5 months post op in about 2 weeks)

It’s because it’s extended release and you are used to the IR adderall. I complained at first when I switched to extended release adderal. You never feel it “kick in” but over time you will realize it is working you just have to get use to the difference.

Hey guys!
So I'm just starting medication for my ADHD and my doctor prescribed me Concerta. I've been reading a little bit about it and with it being an extended time release medication, I'm thinking maybe it wont work because of malabsorption issues after gastric bypass. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, though, and waited to try it for a few days before judging. But I don't feel like it's doing anything. I've taken Adderall before and immediately felt an improvement. Could this just be because it's in my head? Has anyone had any similar issues with these types of medications? What worked for you? Recommendations?
I forgot to tell my psychiatrist about my surgery so when I realized this I called her office and left her a message but she never got back.
(Im going to be 5 months post op in about 2 weeks)

Hi. My experience is with a totally different drug an antidepressant but yes it is possible to have malabsorption with extended release drugs. I had bypass on March 21. 2019, and was taken off all extended release medications
I do hope what you're taking works out well for you

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Definitely follow up with your psychiatrist. They should be getting back to you... keep calling them until they do.

I posted a resource for information about medication after gastric bypass surgery on another thread but one key thing surgeons fail to mention is that you will no longer be able to take extended release/ timed release medication.

No one ever mentioned anything about medication post surgery. Even knowing my chronic illness and disability. I sometimes think they just assume it will magically go away.

Ive got the odd mix of ADHD and chronic Illness that causes debilitating fatigue. I used to find coffee in the evening would help calm me somewhat, clear my brain a little bit and help me fall asleep a bit faster. Not by much but sometimes just enough. I haven’t had coffee in a while though. And am too sensitive to side effects from medication. I was taking a beta blocker for orthostatic intolerance but that was timed release. I had stopped it when my insurance wouldn’t pay for name brand and it has been rough.

Id assume it would help to take smaller doses paced throughout the day when you need them most. I also think it’s better long term to find medication and Vitamins that come in liquid form (as well as sublingual or chewable)

Keep on top of this with your psychiatrist. Doctors can be a pain when it comes ting in contact with them. Is there someone in their office that you can speak to such as an assistant? Maybe they can help you get the message to the doctor or even find out the information you need.

6 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I posted a resource for information about medication after gastric bypass surgery on another thread but one key thing surgeons fail to mention is that you will no longer be able to take extended release/ timed release medication.

No one ever mentioned anything about medication post surgery. Even knowing my chronic illness and disability. I sometimes think they just assume it will magically go away.

Ive got the odd mix of ADHD and chronic Illness that causes debilitating fatigue. I used to find coffee in the evening would help calm me somewhat, clear my brain a little bit and help me fall asleep a bit faster. Not by much but sometimes just enough. I haven’t had coffee in a while though. And am too sensitive to side effects from medication. I was taking a beta blocker for orthostatic intolerance but that was timed release. I had stopped it when my insurance wouldn’t pay for name brand and it has been rough.

Id assume it would help to take smaller doses paced throughout the day when you need them most. I also think it’s better long term to find medication and Vitamins that come in liquid form (as well as sublingual or chewable)

Keep on top of this with your psychiatrist. Doctors can be a pain when it comes ting in contact with them. Is there someone in their office that you can speak to such as an assistant? Maybe they can help you get the message to the doctor or even find out the information you need.

I read your post on that thread, I think. Very helpful, thank you!! I actually had no idea that I'm not supposed to be taking any NSAIDs ever after bypass surgery. I thought it was just for the first few months or something. Thank god I haven't taken anything.

Same! Nobody from my bariatric doctors office mentioned anything about this! It's frustrating that I have to find things out myself when they could've easily just told me. I feel like there are probably a lot of other important things that I don't know about.

I called my psychiatrists office and after a million phone calls with them not answering or saying no one from my medical team was available to speak to me, I finally got in touch with her medical assistant. So initially when I saw the doctor she asked me what kind of medication I'd prefer and I told her I didn't know, but she had no problem giving me whatever I asked, had I asked. However, when I spoke to her medical assistant recently the MA said that there was no way the doctor would write me a different prescription without proof that I actually had the surgery and that I shouldn't be taking any extended time release medications. So she asked for a letter from the doctor who did my gastric bypass surgery stating that I shouldn't be taking those meds. I'm 100% sure that the actual psychiatrist wouldn't have asked for all this but for some reason her MA is kinda blowing it out of proportion (in my opinion). Anyway, I called his(my bypass doctor) office and spoke to his MA and she said he wasn't in his office and that she'd have to get back to me next week. It's so frustrating. I start classes and work and everything on Monday and I was hoping to have all this settled by then because I won't have time to jump through another million hoops for them.