Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks Post Op - Losing My Mind

Greetings,

I have no other source to get his out, but I have noticed a HUGE change in my mental stability since the gastric sleeve.

I'm cannot control my anger, depression, anything.

A few days ago I got into a verbal argument with my son and it was brutal. The entire time I, in my head, was being calmed etc, but out of nowhere, I unleashed such hate that I have no idea where it came from. I said things that were abhorrent. I won't repeat it as saying it was bad enough and I don't want it to be in the world again.

Anyway, today, I couldn't log in to pay a bill online and I went straight to thinking my kids were trying to backstab me. I've been on this paranoia train for the past week.

My program is HORRIBLE. I've been contacting them after the past two weeks because I had an issue with dehydration that turned out to be liver trama and now I'm seeing a drastic change in my personality and they want nothing to do with me. They never return calls or when they do they tell me that it's not their concern that it's someone else's.

I called today because I was sitting on my couch in tears after I couldn't log into a website and blamed my kids and went to their rooms and started packing their close because I felt it's time for them to move out. I seriously am losing my mind.

I don't know if I lost my mind before the surgery and this just elevates the mental instability or what.

I've never had these types of thoughts before or this extreme.

I've googled and this is a side effect of the surgery but I was never forewarned of this. Where's sex addiction? or gambling addiciton? that's what I was told about, not that I would become a monster.

I was an emotional wreck after surgery. I was very depressed and cried all the time for NO REASON. I wasn't angry, but I have no history of depression and was in a deep pit. It lasted for about a month before I started leveling out. I also saw my psychiatrist who I get anxiety medication from and she adjusted some things. I would suggest contacting a psychiatrist that can help you out for a while. In theory, it should all level out... lots of hormonal changes right now. I don't recall being told about the emotional changes, either, but when I called they said it was normal and should level out.

Edited by mousecat88

Man! I had crazy thoughts too! This is kinda the time frame that it happens. ((hugs))

I would get flash hangry for no reason. I'd be laughing then poof! Depression city! It's exactly how @mousecat88 explained it.

I swear it passes. Hold on. Drink lots of fluids, walk, watch comedies, explain to your kids what's happening. Make sure you drink your fluids (protein drinks) on a regular basis.

And yeah, see if you can get hold of a bariatric counselor to talk through this stuff and help you with some emotional toolkits!! Hang in there.

It is likely a result of hormonal dumping, where the estrogens (yes, we guys have some of that in there, too, just as the ladies have some testosterone in their systems,) and other hormones that have been stored in the fat gets dumped into our system as the fat burns off. So, just as the ladies are subject to such variations during their time of the month, we all can be subject to it randomly, at any time.

One of the guys in our support group told of being in the supermarket checkout and let loose on the person in front for some delay (the usual - waiting for everything to be scanned in and then pulling out the checkbook and pile of coupons, or some other minor indiscretion) then told himself, "wait a minute, I've never been bitchy before....

Can I ask if you were on any kind of meds for depression or anxiety before the surgery?

None

Get some professional mental help

That level emotional swings aren’t healthy, as you are aware. I would get in contact with professional help ASAP