Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 19,2019 surgery check in

Hello, I just want to give you all an update on how surgery went for me!

Monday August 19th I was given a 6:30 arrival time, the checked me in and weighed me. Next the took me to a short stay room where they had me change, use the restroom if I needed to, wash my hands up to my elbow and get into the bed. By this time it was probably around 7:20. Just so you know I hate needles and well they poked me twice! Ones to get my morning lab done and another to put the IV in. Next they took my Vidal’s asked me questions, had me sign my last consent form that was to confirm the surgery and put my compression cuffs on my calves to keep blood circulation going and to prevent blood clots. Then here was the waiting game, by this time it was probably 7:50am. At about 8:25/30 another nurse came in and gave me a chance to use the restroom before being rolled down to the surgery prep room/recovery room, there I met my anesthesiologists, my in surgery nurse, got prepped for surgery, signed consent form for anesthesia. And then I was just waiting for my surgeon to arrive, he was late 17 minutes which I heard was normal for him by one of the nurses waiting with about 4 of us to go in to surgery. When he arrived he asked me how I was doing and I had any last questions and then was told he will see me in the operating room. The last thing i remember was my anesthesiologists giving me something to “calm” me down in my IV as i was being rolled away going into the operating room.

Next thing I wake up in recovery, being asked about pain which was high for me but I remember also being really nauseous so they didn’t want to give me much pain medicine because they didn’t want me to to get more nauseous. While still in the recovery room all I remember is them changing me to a different and more comfortable gown from being in this itchy paper one I was given in the beginning. They took off all the stickers off me and rolled me to my room where my mother had already been waiting for me.

I probably slept most of the day Monday. By the time I was in my room it was already 11:45am/12pm. My mom stayed with all day till about 5:30 and my sister visited me for about 2 1/2 hours and left at the same time as my mom. Which I appreciate them keeping me company even when I was knocked out (but I did feel bad)

_______

Now I was told everything went well with surgery BUT once I started to wake up more during the night I did have quite a bit emotions going through my head. Like what did I just do? I want to cry. All because all I wanted to do was drink water/my liquids in normal speed (they brought me Water at around 4pm but my tray of liquids at 6 for dinner with medicine cups) but i knew I couldn’t and that i had to take sips because i didn’t want to hurt myself. I had a hard time with that!

Tuesday came and I was brought my Breakfast and it took me a long time to drink even one thing because I had no appetite and my mother had to remind me to drink one medicine cup every 15 minutes like I was told to by my nurse. I had a little pain but was able to get it under control. My surgeon came and checked on me at 11:45 and I asked him if having pressure in my chest when I drink normal and he said yes it is but it will go away after today or a day more. He told me surgery went well and that I even look good being as awake and aware as i was the day after surgery. He saw I was keeping my liquids down and didn’t vomit once so he requested the discharge nurse to start my discharge paperwork. Meanwhile that was happening I was seen by my dietician, even though I had the papers at home she gave me another copy but gave it to my mom since she will be taking care of my groceries, she also gave me my medical card to keep in my wallet just Incase of anything which is also a card that gives me permission to pay for half a meal half price later on if I was to go to a restaurant.

I got discharged at 1:30pm and let me tell you from all the bumps and turns (the little that we did have) got me REALLY car sick that I had to close my eyes in the car and even when I got home at 2 I still had a little nausea for about an hour so I napped because I couldn’t find my little mint thing they gave me to smell when nauseous (I told my mom to put it with my stuff but I couldn’t find it unless she put it in her purse and forgot). dinner came around and I had brought home my Protein drink from the hospital I didn’t finish at lunch and I had a hard time drinking it, i just didn’t have no appetite.

Anyways that’s how surgery went!

How are my AUGUST 19th 2019 surgery siblings doing?

It is 3:27am Wednesday morning (wide awake as I type this in bed, was woken up by my mother checking up on me at 2:40 asking me if I have to use the restroom so she can help me out of bed since my bed is high, we checked my incisions and one of my incisions started to leak a little which I was told if it did to just put gauze or a bandaids on where it’s leaking. Got back to bed but started to have pain so I had some medicine and then decided to type this out and now here I am lol.

_____

Pictures bellow are from when I was in the hospital. The two in the dark was Monday night after dinner time (they left my tray because they wanted me to work on it throughout the night when I was awake because I kept falling asleep) and the one I’m in with my tray was taken by my mother to send to family who wanted an update on me and on how I was doing on Tuesday at breakfast. 

image-0.00107288360595703.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

Congratulations Bianca!!! Thanks for the update! I'd been waiting patiently to hear from you August 19th sibs!! So happy for a successful surgery!! You look good for someone who just had surgery [emoji112]
Now true journey begins and I pray we all do it as effortlessly as possible. I'll be honest and say every day gets better and better! The support here has been INVALUABLE. I'm going through a combo excitement and trepidation emotionally and just riding the waves of both emotions for now.

We'll all keep updating.
Congratulations again [emoji169]🧡[emoji169]🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 08/21/2019 at 05:30, Deedee12 said:

Congratulations Bianca!!! Thanks for the update! I'd been waiting patiently to hear from you August 19th sibs!! So happy for a successful surgery!! You look good for someone who just had surgery [emoji112]
Now true journey begins and I pray we all do it as effortlessly as possible. I'll be honest and say every day gets better and better! The support here has been INVALUABLE. I'm going through a combo excitement and trepidation emotionally and just riding the waves of both emotions for now.

We'll all keep updating.
Congratulations again [emoji169]🧡[emoji169]🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! Yes I haven’t been in any pain this morning since last night. I even went on a little two laps walk with my mother after breakfast. Now just resting.

Hello, I’m new on this site and on this weight loss journey. Thank u so very much for sharing ur experience with so much detail u really made me feel sooo much better about thoughts that worry me.Literally everything I thought about u put up here especially the going in to operating room and waking etc... Wish u a speedy recovery !

On 08/21/2019 at 19:27, Syrus said:

Hello, I’m new on this site and on this weight loss journey. Thank u so very much for sharing ur experience with so much detail u really made me feel sooo much better about thoughts that worry me.Literally everything I thought about u put up here especially the going in to operating room and waking etc... Wish u a speedy recovery !

Welcome!! You’re very welcome :) I wish you luck!

Hello, I just want to give you all an update on how surgery went for me!

Monday August 19th I was given a 6:30 arrival time, the checked me in and weighed me. Next the took me to a short stay room where they had me change, use the restroom if I needed to, wash my hands up to my elbow and get into the bed. By this time it was probably around 7:20. Just so you know I hate needles and well they poked me twice! Ones to get my morning lab done and another to put the IV in. Next they took my Vidal’s asked me questions, had me sign my last consent form that was to confirm the surgery and put my compression cuffs on my calves to keep blood circulation going and to prevent blood clots. Then here was the waiting game, by this time it was probably 7:50am. At about 8:25/30 another nurse came in and gave me a chance to use the restroom before being rolled down to the surgery prep room/recovery room, there I met my anesthesiologists, my in surgery nurse, got prepped for surgery, signed consent form for anesthesia. And then I was just waiting for my surgeon to arrive, he was late 17 minutes which I heard was normal for him by one of the nurses waiting with about 4 of us to go in to surgery. When he arrived he asked me how I was doing and I had any last questions and then was told he will see me in the operating room. The last thing i remember was my anesthesiologists giving me something to “calm” me down in my IV as i was being rolled away going into the operating room.

Next thing I wake up in recovery, being asked about pain which was high for me but I remember also being really nauseous so they didn’t want to give me much pain medicine because they didn’t want me to to get more nauseous. While still in the recovery room all I remember is them changing me to a different and more comfortable gown from being in this itchy paper one I was given in the beginning. They took off all the stickers off me and rolled me to my room where my mother had already been waiting for me.

I probably slept most of the day Monday. By the time I was in my room it was already 11:45am/12pm. My mom stayed with all day till about 5:30 and my sister visited me for about 2 1/2 hours and left at the same time as my mom. Which I appreciate them keeping me company even when I was knocked out (but I did feel bad)

_______

Now I was told everything went well with surgery BUT once I started to wake up more during the night I did have quite a bit emotions going through my head. Like what did I just do? I want to cry. All because all I wanted to do was drink water/my liquids in normal speed (they brought me Water at around 4pm but my tray of liquids at 6 for dinner with medicine cups) but i knew I couldn’t and that i had to take sips because i didn’t want to hurt myself. I had a hard time with that!

Tuesday came and I was brought my Breakfast and it took me a long time to drink even one thing because I had no appetite and my mother had to remind me to drink one medicine cup every 15 minutes like I was told to by my nurse. I had a little pain but was able to get it under control. My surgeon came and checked on me at 11:45 and I asked him if having pressure in my chest when I drink normal and he said yes it is but it will go away after today or a day more. He told me surgery went well and that I even look good being as awake and aware as i was the day after surgery. He saw I was keeping my liquids down and didn’t vomit once so he requested the discharge nurse to start my discharge paperwork. Meanwhile that was happening I was seen by my dietician, even though I had the papers at home she gave me another copy but gave it to my mom since she will be taking care of my groceries, she also gave me my medical card to keep in my wallet just Incase of anything which is also a card that gives me permission to pay for half a meal half price later on if I was to go to a restaurant.

I got discharged at 1:30pm and let me tell you from all the bumps and turns (the little that we did have) got me REALLY car sick that I had to close my eyes in the car and even when I got home at 2 I still had a little nausea for about an hour so I napped because I couldn’t find my little mint thing they gave me to smell when nauseous (I told my mom to put it with my stuff but I couldn’t find it unless she put it in her purse and forgot). dinner came around and I had brought home my Protein drink from the hospital I didn’t finish at lunch and I had a hard time drinking it, i just didn’t have no appetite.

Anyways that’s how surgery went!

How are my AUGUST 19th 2019 surgery siblings doing?

It is 3:27am Wednesday morning (wide awake as I type this in bed, was woken up by my mother checking up on me at 2:40 asking me if I have to use the restroom so she can help me out of bed since my bed is high, we checked my incisions and one of my incisions started to leak a little which I was told if it did to just put gauze or a bandaids on where it’s leaking. Got back to bed but started to have pain so I had some medicine and then decided to type this out and now here I am lol.
_____

Pictures bellow are from when I was in the hospital. The two in the dark was Monday night after dinner time (they left my tray because they wanted me to work on it throughout the night when I was awake because I kept falling asleep) and the one I’m in with my tray was taken by my mother to send to family who wanted an update on me and on how I was doing on Tuesday at breakfast.
image-0.00107288360595703.thumb.jpg.811833135270fd08fc79136cccd1c7f6.jpg
image-0.00202655792236328.thumb.jpg.87627eb7d95ee8b17d4ac8764a3c6831.jpg
image-0.00202655792236328.thumb.jpg.f5a53e0110ce26a4cbc4c353d1677161.jpg
Many congrats!

Sent from my LG-H931 using BariatricPal mobile app