Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

central venous catheter before vsg

Nope. I have terrible veins from chemo and radiation, too. And I've never had a central line. Now, maybe they are talking about just getting your iv catheter placed? If so, do what he wants. But it's still weird and more chance of infection cuz they'll want you to shower the night before and morning of with a special soap. I wouldn't want anything in my vein when I'm doing that...

3 hours ago, Selena_Sarajevo said:

So my surgery is in 9 days

My surgeon wants to apply central venous catheter day before surgery

Did any of you guys had it applied ?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't plan for it ahead of time, but I ended up with one. My veins were nowhere to be found on surgery day. It stayed in for a week after. I didn't like it (obviously) but it wasn't the end of the world, either.

I didn't have one, but as a nurse I can understand why a doctor would want one. If you have bad veins or difficult to access veins, there's some reassurance in having a central line. No worries about infiltrated IV's or blown veins.

My day of surgery, my veins all seemed to go into hiding and they wound up putting mine in the antecubital area (the place in the crook of the elbow where they draw blood. What a pain in the a$$ it was having it there. Every time I bent my arm, my IV machine would alarm. If I got too relaxed during sleep, it would go off and wake me. Miserable. I suppose if I had it to do over again, I'd consider insisting on a different site. If they couldn't, I would have been willing to do a central line.

And I'm not 100% convinced you'd have to wash with special soap. I didn't have to wash with a special soap before my VSG. The only surgery I've ever had to do a skin prep was my hip replacement. Besides, a central line is usually in a vein near your shoulder/neck area and has an occlusive dressing over it, so it wouldn't be an issue when showering. Just my 2 cents.

21 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

I didn't have one, but as a nurse I can understand why a doctor would want one. If you have bad veins or difficult to access veins, there's some reassurance in having a central line. No worries about infiltrated IV's or blown veins.

My day of surgery, my veins all seemed to go into hiding and they wound up putting mine in the antecubital area (the place in the crook of the elbow where they draw blood. What a pain in the a$$ it was having it there. Every time I bent my arm, my IV machine would alarm. If I got too relaxed during sleep, it would go off and wake me. Miserable. I suppose if I had it to do over again, I'd consider insisting on a different site. If they couldn't, I would have been willing to do a central line.

And I'm not 100% convinced you'd have to wash with special soap. I didn't have to wash with a special soap before my VSG. The only surgery I've ever had to do a skin prep was my hip replacement. Besides, a central line is usually in a vein near your shoulder/neck area and has an occlusive dressing over it, so it wouldn't be an issue when showering. Just my 2 cents.

I've had 3 breast and recon surgeries + 2 tummy surgeries + hysterectomy. I'm unlucky or my hospital has a different protocal, cuz I had that special soap I used the night before and morning of..so weird.

Great info on the central line! Thanks. I was stuck a total of 14 times to get an iv placed for my RNY. I know that from the bruise/puncture sites cuz for the last 8 I was out like a light.

Edited by FluffyChix

7 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

Besides, a central line is usually in a vein near your shoulder/neck area and has an occlusive dressing over it, so it wouldn't be an issue when showering. Just my 2 cents.

My dressing didn't prevent the cathether from getting soaked and I had to go back to the surgeon to have it re-dressed. Didn't shower again until the d@mn thing came out.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I had that special soap I used the night before and morning of..

Same for me

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm unlucky or my hospital has a different protocal, cuz I had that special soap I used the night before and morning of..so weird

Yep. Every doctor seems to have their own standard practice. I guess I'd rather use the special soap than get an infection. The purpose of it is to clean off as much bacteria as possible. They will still prep you in the OR, paint you with betadine, etc. But an ounce of prevention....

3 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

My dressing didn't prevent the cathether from getting soaked and I had to go back to the surgeon to have it re-dressed. Didn't shower again until the d@mn thing came out.

So sorry to hear that. Most central lines that I see have a plastic covering over it to prevent moisture from getting to the insertion site. Have worked with cancer patients, burn patients, catastrophic injury patients. Most have that occlusive dressing.

51 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

So sorry to hear that. Most central lines that I see have a plastic covering over it to prevent moisture from getting to the insertion site. Have worked with cancer patients, burn patients, catastrophic injury patients. Most have that occlusive dressing.

My skin is really sensitive to anything but paper tape. It blisters up and peels off with the tape if it's on for more than an hour or two. They probably used the least "sticky" type of dressing that they had and sent me home with others to put over the site when I showered but when I moved my arm, it popped open and Water got in. (Probably operator error). I was just surprised that they had so much trouble starting an IV. I've donated 7 gallons of blood and never had issues. We found out later than my veins and arteries are tiny.

They put an extra iv in me after surgery began. It is hard for them to find my veins. Good luck on your surgery!!

They put an extra iv in me after surgery began. It is hard for them to find my veins. Good luck on your surgery!!

Thanks [emoji4]
I just haven't seen it often with other patients so it was just curiosity
I guess my doctor has a reason for that decision
I was kind of worried about placing but hope everything goes well with both
I sure will let you guys know what happened with that [emoji854]

Nope. I have terrible veins from chemo and radiation, too. And I've never had a central line. Now, maybe they are talking about just getting your iv catheter placed? If so, do what he wants. But it's still weird and more chance of infection cuz they'll want you to shower the night before and morning of with a special soap. I wouldn't want anything in my vein when I'm doing that...

Well if my surgeon considers that it should be placed - I won't disagree
I'm worried about possible infection but I won't have it for long so hope for the best
I'll see whether he taught in ordinary iv path or on the central line
Anyway I'll let you know when that happens [emoji4]
Regarding the showering and special antibacterial soap - I don't know what is the protocol in this hospital
We will see what is going to happen [emoji854]

I didn't plan for it ahead of time, but I ended up with one. My veins were nowhere to be found on surgery day. It stayed in for a week after. I didn't like it (obviously) but it wasn't the end of the world, either.
Thanks
Your experience means a lot
I'm guessing that my surgeon is just being carefull and wants to avoid unnecessary search for the veins of they pull back
Did you have any issues with the c.line - infection or something like that and was it hard for you when they placed it ?
Of course it is not the end of the world [emoji4]
Thanks one more time m

Oh I know why and which is the use of central line..
I know it is usually placed in to jugular vein or subclavial vein
I was just worried about potential infections and I haven't seen a lot of bariatric patients having it ...
Thanks for sharing
I know obese people have that issue with veins - hard to reach or they pull back or simply having thin veins
Hoping for the best and of course I'll let you guys know what happened [emoji854]

7 minutes ago, Selena_Sarajevo said:

Thanks
Your experience means a lot
I'm guessing that my surgeon is just being carefull and wants to avoid unnecessary search for the veins of they pull back
Did you have any issues with the c.line - infection or something like that and was it hard for you when they placed it ?
Of course it is not the end of the world
Thanks one more time m

They tried for a jugular and missed so went for the subclavian. They put in a temporary IV just to get me into surgery and put the central line in after I was knocked out so I didn't feel anything. No complications just a pia. (The temporary one was in my left arm and I let them know that in my previous experience, it would blow within 3 hours. I'm very dependable that way. But that is my easiest vein to hit.)