Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I’m scheduled for a revision from VSG to RNY on 10/4 (VSG 2016, HW 246, LW 186, CW 233). Hoping to resolve my reflux and regain. I would love to hear some experiences from others who’ve done the same revision. I’m looking for all the good and bad info! I’d especially like to know:

1. Any side effects or complications?

2. How much weight did you lose and how long did it take?

3. If you had reflux or GERD, did the revision resolve it?

4. Any regrets with having the revision?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was revised 10/31/18 for severe GERD. I was about 20# from goal weight at that point.

1 - complications - one of my incisions got infected, but it's the same risk for any surgery.

2 - I lost most of the remaining 20# over the next 4 months but found it very difficult because I had much less restriction with RnY than I had with the sleeve. (My sleeve was VERY restrictive and I liked that). My surgeon says that "revised" RnYs are not as restrictive as those done on a "virgin" stomach. I also found it very hard to redo all the post-op food phases because I had just "been there-done that." (My sleeve was Feb. 2018.) After the sleeve, I had never progressed past soup/stews so I had never gotten to the real "lean protein" stage. I can now eat regular meats.

3 - GERD - Yes, the procedure fixed my reflux issues.

4 - No regrets. I was on the maximum prescription-strength omeprazole, 2x/day plus TUMS as needed. I couldn't keep waking up at night with acid up my nose and in my mouth. It was going to destroy my teeth and esophagus. Gotta play the hand you're dealt, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I was revised 10/31/18 for severe GERD. I was about 20# from goal weight at that point.

1 - complications - one of my incisions got infected, but it's the same risk for any surgery.

2 - I lost most of the remaining 20# over the next 4 months but found it very difficult because I had much less restriction with RnY than I had with the sleeve. (My sleeve was VERY restrictive and I liked that). My surgeon says that "revised" RnYs are not as restrictive as those done on a "virgin" stomach. I also found it very hard to redo all the post-op food phases because I had just "been there-done that." (My sleeve was Feb. 2018.) After the sleeve, I had never progressed past soup/stews so I had never gotten to the real "lean protein" stage. I can now eat regular meats.

3 - GERD - Yes, the procedure fixed my reflux issues.

4 - No regrets. I was on the maximum prescription-strength omeprazole, 2x/day plus TUMS as needed. I couldn't keep waking up at night with acid up my nose and in my mouth. It was going to destroy my teeth and esophagus. Gotta play the hand you're dealt, right?

Thanks so much for this feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/20/2019 at 19:56, NovemberSleever said:



I’m scheduled for a revision from VSG to RNY on 10/4 (VSG 2016, HW 246, LW 186, CW 233). Hoping to resolve my reflux and regain. I would love to hear some experiences from others who’ve done the same revision. I’m looking for all the good and bad info! I’d especially like to know:




1. Any side effects or complications?




2. How much weight did you lose and how long did it take?




3. If you had reflux or GERD, did the revision resolve it?




4. Any regrets with having the revision?




Thank you!


I had VSG 8/27/13, my RnY was 6/4/19 (so I can only give you about a 3 month update)

1. None, it’s been great.
2. My weight loss has been percentage wise better than my sleeve.

I was 322 when I was sleeved, had a low of 242 with that. I was 248 with my RnY and am currently 213. At the 3 month mark I had lost around 24% of my excess body weight with the sleeve. I am around 38% down of my excess body weight with my RnY. (From my heaviest to now including both surgeries I am down 65% of my EBW)

I lose 2-4# a week. My restriction is better than I had with the sleeve. I have no real intolerances. I had bad stomach cramps when I tried tuna and haven’t tried that again but otherwise I eat fresh fruits and veggies, meats, dairy etc.

3. Mine was done for GERD and it seems to be gone. I cut to half on my protonix post op and should come off it in a couple weeks at my next appt.

4. None. I’m very happy. Any issues I have are in my head (fixating on the scale stuff like that. It’s hard to slow down and enjoy the journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Macy6 said:

I had VSG 8/27/13, my RnY was 6/4/19 (so I can only give you about a 3 month update)

1. None, it’s been great.
2. My weight loss has been percentage wise better than my sleeve.

I was 322 when I was sleeved, had a low of 242 with that. I was 248 with my RnY and am currently 213. At the 3 month mark I had lost around 24% of my excess body weight with the sleeve. I am around 38% down of my excess body weight with my RnY. (From my heaviest to now including both surgeries I am down 65% of my EBW)

I lose 2-4# a week. My restriction is better than I had with the sleeve. I have no real intolerances. I had bad stomach cramps when I tried tuna and haven’t tried that again but otherwise I eat fresh fruits and veggies, meats, dairy etc.

3. Mine was done for GERD and it seems to be gone. I cut to half on my protonix post op and should come off it in a couple weeks at my next appt.

4. None. I’m very happy. Any issues I have are in my head (fixating on the scale stuff like that. It’s hard to slow down and enjoy the journey.

This helps a lot. Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SabrinaGoddess

      Banded in 2009; Unbanded 2012
      Lived life 2012-2019 struggling with weight again and massive depression
      The decision to have Gastric Sleeve made Oct. 17th, 2019
      Contacted my doc for inital consultation (Oct 30th)
      Self Pay
      Here we go....finally getting back to ME
      Created a new blog to journal ALL of my thoughts and progresses
      www.SabrinaGoddess.com
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      So my surgery anniversary date is on the 24th of this month, but I had my 1-year follow up early with my surgeon this morning (I have another 1-year followup at the hospital on Monday to get my bloodwork and labs done).
      Anyhoo...my surgeon was very pleased with my results (and so where the office staff apparently, because 3 of the front desk ladies came by my exam room to give me props/high fives/generally gawk at me).
      But get this: he asked if I would be willing to come in for a future photoshoot so that I could be on a poster! And I was all, ummmm....no thanks, LOL.
      · 2 replies
      1. SabrinaGoddess

        Why? You worked hard! You can do it!

      2. ms.sss

        I guess I could, but the idea of being out there for all to see just skeeves me out! Nope, not for me ;)

    • Krestel

      Today was a really tough day and I turned to food (and a watered down glass of wine). The interesting part was that I felt REALLY full after eating half my go to cheat snack, tortilla chips with cheese. So the GBP is doing its job!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Nomorepasta

      Does anyone know how to change specific info on ur profile ex. Surgery date weight etc. ?..
      · 1 reply
      1. Cheeseburgh

        Click on your pic/name. A list will pop up and scroll down to “my surgery”. You can change Surgery specifics there.

        To adjust weight stay on that same page, look left and click on progress. Voila!

    • Krestel

      The only way I can tell that I'm losing weight is from the scale and my clothes "getting bigger".
      · 1 reply
      1. nenes78

        When logged in, click on your username up top then choose my surgery, from there choose your option on the left menu. Or click the link https://www.bariatricpal.com/patients/portal/?do=progress

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×