Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! Newbie here...

I’ve been looking to connect with people that have had, or are going to have, the gastric sleeve surgery. I stumbled across this site today. I’m not sure what I’m doing quite yet on here as far as the format, etc. I have been thinking about doing the gastric sleeve for a while now. Today I took the first steps and talked to my insurance company. Luckily, they do cover all, minus 15% of the total cost. Yet, it comes with the stipulations that I’ve read other people having to do first. That being the 6 months of documented dietary therapy, physical activity, and behavior modification before they’ll approve the surgery.

I kind of figured there would be some hoops to jump through before getting the green light, but I’m still a little bummed that I have to wait 6 mths. I filled out some paperwork online today and should get a call in a week or two from the Dr. for a consultation. I’m really hoping to speed this process up, but as Petty wisely said, “waiting is the hardest part.” 😅 I’ve tried for so many years to shed this weight, to no avail, I’ve thought this through... I know it’s not a decision you just make on a whim thinking it’ll cure everything. I know I have my work cut out for me. So that’s just a little bit about where I’m at on this journey... right at the starting line bahahaha! I can’t wait to read more from all of you and your experiences. Sorry for rambling! Take care everyone!

WELCOME, LIZZIE!!

My doctor had been urging me to have the surgery for 2 years. I wasn't emotionally ready. When my hip was getting worse, I went to the orthopedic surgeon pretty much knowing I needed hip replacement surgery. He said I needed to lose weight before he could do the surgery safely. He's the one who recommended my bariatric surgeon. Their requirements included meeting with a Dietitian, Phycologist & 6 month weight study. My doctor, since I've been seeing him for over 25 years, had the weight info. He just went back 6 months & filled in the form. I think he was so happy I was finally doing it, he would have filled out 20 years of forms! LOL!

My 1st meeting with the Bariatric surgeon was 3/29/2019. My surgery was 7/22/2019. It could have been sooner (in May) but the date they had available conflicted with another event on my calendar, so I was scheduled for June. Then I failed my stress test (part of my clearance fo the surgery), so I ended up with the July date. I was lucky, I guess.

My doctor is very pleased. He kept teasing me about waiting 2 years. I'm SO glad I did it & yes, I wish (now) that I had it done years ago.

This site has been very helpful. While everyone's experiences are different, there's a lot of info. The Store has SO many products! Some are yummy... some not so much. I also found many YouTube videos that were inspiring and informative. There are even some of the actual surgery! WARNING: Don't watch if you're the squeamish type.

This was a long way around to tell you not to let the delay deter you. My surgery was 4 weeks ago today. I have lost 40 pounds. I have been taken off 2 of my diabetes meds. My happy moment today was when I was able to move the weight on the doctor's scale from the 250 to the 200 mark. One of the girls in my church told me, "Miss Nancy, you look smaller!"

Believe me, it's worth it!

Welcome to the forums, Lizzie! This is a very friendly and supportive community. Jump into any threads that interest you and be sure to get familiar with the search box, above. It will be your best friend! Good luck on your journey!

Congratulations on your success! I’m so happy that the surgery worked out for you, 40lbs in 4wks is AMAZING! 🤗 I have struggled since my 20’s with morbid obesity. I’m 37, I have 3 children, and my husband & I are officially done with that chapter, and happy with the 3 children we were lucky enough to have. Now I’m ready to begin this new journey. I want to see my children grow up and I want to be active again doing the things I love, like hiking. I’m sick of my weight sidelining me in life, you know what I mean? I had an appointment last week with my psychiatrist (anxiety/depression), and they took my blood pressure twice. It was sky high, like almost hospital level worthy. On top of the shocking BP# I had actively been avoiding the scale for months, when I got on I almost fell off. I am over 300lbs, never have I crossed that number, until now. I usually averaged 240-260, and even with vigorous exercise and diet changes I could NEVER get past 230. Last week put the fire under my behind to stop stalling and start to make the calls I kept putting off, thinking I could do this on my own. I’m going to look at YouTube and around this site. I’m so happy to have a place now to talk about this big change with. Thank you for reaching out and for the information! I can’t wait to start the process! 😁

I’m sure it is nerve wracking as it draws closer, but also, probably pretty exciting... I can only imagine, since I’m just at the beginning of the hoop jumping phase before I can have the surgery. I’m sending you all goodness that your surgery goes well , and that you have a speedy recovery! I’ll keep my eyes peeled for updates once you’re able to do so... Best of luck!

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW JOURNEY IN LIFE I HOPE YOU HAVE MUCH SUCCESS AND ALL GOES THROUGH WITH INSURANCE COMPANY DONT GIVE UP KEEP PUSHING YOURSELF AND INSURANCE COMPANY CHEERS

1 hour ago, Danielle1940 said:

I am one week away from my surgery and getting nervous by the day

It's normal to be nervous. I think I was SO psyched about getting it done, I didn't get really nervous until they were putting in the IV!

Relax! You can do this! Get ready for the NEW YOU!!

If you've been with the same doctors for a while they may be able to show previous dieting and weight history to help with approval process just have a good chat with them.

Also have you looked at all available surgery before deciding?

Get an appt with your pcp before the end of August and then August will count as month 1 even though it is at the end of it. And for your 6th monthly appt, schedule it for the first day of the 6th month and bam you get the 6 months got done in just a couple of days over 4 months. At least my insurance accepted it (BSBC) as 6 monthly consecutive visits even though they weren't each a full 30 days a part. They also accepted my 2 year weight history from a phentermine clinic since I hadn't gone to the regular doc in the 2 years prior.

all the stuff you have to do is very common. It bugged me at first, too, but it gave me a lot of time to thoroughly research the surgery and the requirements of post-op life, practice habits I'd need for after surgery, etc. I felt very prepared by the time I went under the knife. The six months ended up going quickly, and I'm now grateful for them.

That's what I am waiting on ( insurance clearance, eventhough I have met my deductible). As far as tbe prequesits.... I am in the clear for the 3-6 mo. before, 30 days before. Because I do not smoke, drink, do hormones or diet pills. So as far as things go I am at the 7 weeks before & I have nor met with my surgeon yet.

I am one week away from my surgery and getting nervous by the day
We all did. Take it one day at a time

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app