Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plastic Surgery Thread

On 9/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, KarenLR75 said:

I had been wondering about this. It seems to often be done with lower abdomen? Is that correct.

I know it sounds maybe stupid...but I was horrifically dismayed when I realized on this forum that the excess weight in this specific area was 'not going to go away'. I'm unsure why I thought it would be different...but I was and still am fairly upset as I was hoping I would not need plastics for that.

Even though as of this week, I weigh less than I've weighed in a decade, I'm not comfortable being..physical with my husband...despite the weight loss...because, well let's be real if you were as large as me or maybe wherever you are at...all the saggy skin...just not attractive on me. I'm so particularly embarrassed about this area specifically.

*L.I.N.G.E.R.I.E.*

5 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

*L.I.N.G.E.R.I.E.*

LOL...is that a 'bad word' to BP? I actually did invest in some pretty things...one issue now is they are starting to get to be too big! They are more 'gowns' but they are appealing ones.

I just wish there was less um...cushion in a certain place.

TMI Alert. Before my LBL there was too much excess skin for easy intercourse. Something folded or bunched or just got in the way. It was better after LBL The inner thigh work though returned intimacy to the magical level.

20 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

LOL...is that a 'bad word' to BP? I actually did invest in some pretty things...one issue now is they are starting to get to be too big! They are more 'gowns' but they are appealing ones.

I just wish there was less um...cushion in a certain place.

*P.L.A.S.T.I.C.S.*

JUST A THOUGHT...

Edited by GreenTealael

1 hour ago, Mary Ellen Kane said:

How long was recoup time for tummy skin surgery? Going Oct 3rd don’t know what to tell work.

I'm not sure. I work from home, so I just gave notice of 2-3 sick days. I figure after that I will hopefully be functional enough to make calls, answer emails, etc. If I had to go into an office, I'd probably be taking two weeks. I understand the muscle tightening part of the Tummy Tuck / LBL is very painful.

Small update ...

I set my appointment and flights to go in and meet with my surgeon and get sized for implants next month. Been stressed as to when I could get that done, so glad to have it settled.

I'm slightly anxious about the tight-ish time line to have all my preop testing done within 30 days of my surgery date. My work travel schedule is always somewhat in flux, so a little worried about being able to carve out the time to get it all complete.

Finally, my mom has decided to travel and stay with me for the entire two weeks I'll be out of state. This is mostly a good thing. I'll appreciate the moral support, and some physical support, like getting laundry done and showering. But she is not nurse material, and will be no help at all with wounds, drain, etc.. Also, it is A LOT of time together. I love her, I appreciate her ... but still :unsure:

7 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Small update ...

I set my appointment and flights to go in and meet with my surgeon and get sized for implants next month. Been stressed as to when I could get that done, so glad to have it settled.

I'm slightly anxious about the tight-ish time line to have all my preop testing done within 30 days of my surgery date. My work travel schedule is always somewhat in flux, so a little worried about being able to carve out the time to get it all complete.

Finally, my mom has decided to travel and stay with me for the entire two weeks I'll be out of state. This is mostly a good thing. I'll appreciate the moral support, and some physical support, like getting laundry done and showering. But she is not nurse material, and will be no help at all with wounds, drain, etc.. Also, it is A LOT of time together. I love her, I appreciate her ... but still :unsure:

Know I've said it before but I am BEYOND thrilled for you!!! Aren't you completely stoked? Can you believe it's already here? Gosh--I know it probably dragged for you, but it seemed like it flew by!

Can't wait to hear about your surgeon's first howdy-do!! You'll get it done. You are that kind of get er done kinda gal!!!

I'm SO relieved Mom is staying with you. It's just too important of an operation not to have an advocate in the waiting room and with you each step of the way!!! You will be able to handle the drains. Those aren't any BD. They aren't even that nasty, either. You develop a system! But the help in the early days just navigating to and from potty/bed/ambulating etc. is really important.

Oh and TIP? You know the tradeshow lanyards? Get some huge ass safety pins and loop them through the end of the lanyard. Then slip your ends of your JP drains through the safety pin and close it. They will then be attached to the lanyard rather than your clothes. They work by suction rather than by gravity so they don't necessarily have to hang below the surgical sight. Much less chance of ripping them out or dislocating their position. And the best part is you can take the lanyard off over your head and lay it on a counter top in order to empty your drains en masse.

Don't know if that system will work for your LBL? Cuz not sure about the length of the drain lines. But they def worked for all the breast reconstruction surgeries I had. I had 4 drains with the last one and it made it so easy peasy!!!

Super duper. What State duo head to? Make a list of things your mom can do away from you if you need a break / drive for that one of a kind something you mus have!!! You will fit it all in.

@FluffyChix

Thanks! Yes, it has flown by for me as well. I can't believe I was originally planning to have this surgery a year ago. I'm glad it didn't happen, I wasn't at a stable weight and the results wouldn't have been as good I don't think. I'm super excited, but anxious about recovery and pain at the same time. I'm not an anxious person, so feeling anxious makes me anxious 🤣

I'm also grateful my mom is going to be with me. I'm super independent, and hate relying on anyone. But I'm sure I'm going to need to. I'm glad she didn't take no for an answer, and basically told me she is going with me. My bf is also relieved I'm not going to be alone, so this removes some of his worry and stress.

My mom and I are both the get faint at the sight of blood, wounds etc. type. I can actually feel woozy just reading about ps recovery, complication, looking at pics. We are going to be a mess trying to take care of me 🤣

Thanks for the tip on the lanyards! I'll be at a trade show in a couple of weeks and will grab a few spares. I think they might be too short though. From descriptions I've read online my drains will be in my crotch area. I'm not sure if I will have drains for the breast augmenttion, no lift? One of the tips I read online is tie a robe belts around your neck, like a long necklace, and clip your drains to that. I added safety pins to my preop shopping list!

@Stella S

I'll be in NJ. The good thing is my mom and I will have separate rooms, and our own Fire Sticks, Kindles, iPads etc. Gotta keep from killing each other 🤣 I don't think we will have a car when we are out there. Not only is it ungodly expensive, but my mom who has driven LA freeways nearly everyday for the last 50 years, thinks a turnpike is somehow different and more intimidating 🙄

12 hours ago, sillykitty said:

@FluffyChix

Thanks! Yes, it has flown by for me as well. I can't believe I was originally planning to have this surgery a year ago. I'm glad it didn't happen, I wasn't at a stable weight and the results wouldn't have been as good I don't think. I'm super excited, but anxious about recovery and pain at the same time. I'm not an anxious person, so feeling anxious makes me anxious 🤣

I'm also grateful my mom is going to be with me. I'm super independent, and hate relying on anyone. But I'm sure I'm going to need to. I'm glad she didn't take no for an answer, and basically told me she is going with me. My bf is also relieved I'm not going to be alone, so this removes some of his worry and stress.

My mom and I are both the get faint at the sight of blood, wounds etc. type. I can actually feel woozy just reading about ps recovery, complication, looking at pics. We are going to be a mess trying to take care of me 🤣

Thanks for the tip on the lanyards! I'll be at a trade show in a couple of weeks and will grab a few spares. I think they might be too short though. From descriptions I've read online my drains will be in my crotch area. I'm not sure if I will have drains for the breast augmenttion, no lift? One of the tips I read online is tie a robe belts around your neck, like a long necklace, and clip your drains to that. I added safety pins to my preop shopping list!

@Stella S

I'll be in NJ. The good thing is my mom and I will have separate rooms, and our own Fire Sticks, Kindles, iPads etc. Gotta keep from killing each other 🤣 I don't think we will have a car when we are out there. Not only is it ungodly expensive, but my mom who has driven LA freeways nearly everyday for the last 50 years, thinks a turnpike is somehow different and more intimidating 🙄

I am super glad you waited it out a year! I know it wasn't easy, and you are a geterdone girl, but I think our bodies do "shake out" and redistribute over that 'tween year. You know? Now the doc knows exactly where to go in and fluff and fold. :) And you will heal better, cuz now you can take in more nutrients cuz you are getting more volume. So I think yes, better outcome all around!

We all need help now and then. It's a mindset. So you know the drill. Go into it being a gracious receiver. Let your mom flutter and flit and care for you. It's what mom's are supposed to do. Think of it as YOUR gift to her...to be able to "care for her little bird". Right? Then the best part is you can go to your room for some me-time and chill with your own devices and plug in and plug out! :D Winner winner deep fried wing dinner, girl!

Ok, maybe hire a nurse to come empty the drains? :) Home healthcare is a wunnerful wunnerful thing. :D

And the belt!!!! Brilliant and even better cuz it will be longer. And OWEY "in the crotch" I'm puckering and waddling like I've got a dirty diaper just thinking about it! The safety pins will work perfectly with the belt. The idea is that you don't have to pin and unpin them from your clothes which is a monster pia. So with the belt or lanyard, you just take all of them at once and lay them on the counter to drain them (or your visiting home health aid does ;)...it's a thing...)

See? I totally read this and felt..."You BI*CH!!!!! Look at you in your room listening to music and eating my precious Jolly Rancher Firestix I can no longer enjoy!" :D

You are gonna be a rockstar. I've no doubts. And I'm glad BF and Mommy are appeased to know you won't be alone. Hell, I'm glad you won't be alone!!!

Did you have your surgery? I missed the scheduled date.

I took 2.5 weeks off work.

Edited by mousecat88

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

Did you have your surgery? I missed the scheduled date.

I took 2.5 weeks off work.

Mine isn't until early December

I'm only taking 2-3 days off work because I work from home (or in this case a hotel room), and figure I will be functional enough to take calls, answer emails etc.. I'm planning a minimum of 4 weeks, hopefully up to 6 weeks without any work travel.