Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Months - First notable plateau

Just under 4 months down 85lbs from my highest weight and 60 since surgery. I have have stalled at current weight for 3 weeks. My surgeon was very pleased with my results so far but mentally I feel like I am starting to fight the clock before this honeymoon period ends. I have not exercised mostly due to a difficult work schedule but I know I need to incorporate it. I eat around 800-1000 calories a day which seems a bit on the higher side but still well below maintenance for someone at my current weight. Weight loss table below

image.png.092c356a73c2bdf2d63dd79487e43001.png

How much Protein are you getting? How many carbs?

as long as you're following your plan, you should be OK. I had a few stalls along the way but didn't stop losing until I was 18-20 months out.

3 hours ago, Brent701 said:

Just under 4 months down 85lbs from my highest weight and 60 since surgery. I have have stalled at current weight for 3 weeks. My surgeon was very pleased with my results so far but mentally I feel like I am starting to fight the clock before this honeymoon period ends. I have not exercised mostly due to a difficult work schedule but I know I need to incorporate it. I eat around 800-1000 calories a day which seems a bit on the higher side but still well below maintenance for someone at my current weight. Weight loss table below

image.png.092c356a73c2bdf2d63dd79487e43001.png

Have you been tracking measurements? Are your pants looser? How about your belt? You can be losing significant inches without the scale moving. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's common. Sometimes your body just needs a "breather". If you haven't taken any measurements yet, take them now and update at least once a month. They help to keep you motivated at times like this. Good luck!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

80g of Protein I dont actually know how many carbs. I am not a model citizen for diet and exercise by any means but things have been working for the most part.

I did get measurements taken for my Tuxedo rental end of last month but have no retaken them. My surgeon was not concerned by the pause and also said I was still probably losing inches despite the weight consolidating. Its funny how that works.

Been there, done that. No worries. It's not over. I am still working the program.

20 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Have you been tracking measurements? Are your pants looser? How about your belt? You can be losing significant inches without the scale moving. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's common. Sometimes your body just needs a "breather". If you haven't taken any measurements yet, take them now and update at least once a month. They help to keep you motivated at times like this. Good luck!

What she said... Do you wear a watch or a belt? Those should be the most noticeable places the fat is dissolving from, at least for me it was when the scale was sluggish.

1 hour ago, Brent701 said:

80g of Protein I dont actually know how many carbs. I am not a model citizen for diet and exercise by any means but things have been working for the most part.

It's probably just a stall. 80g is pretty great for a dude your size. I would say stall suck. We all have em. And keep following your plan.

But if it doesn't break soon, then mix something up. Do something different. Add exercise? Change your meals up? Have a blow out meal? Have a fast day? Do something diff.

And if that doesn't work, then it's time to start writing down every bite that goes down your piehole cuz chances are your "wingin it" isn't working for you any longer and you'll have to clean things up. But only time is gonna tell.

I'm betting it's just a stall and you'll get through it.

I did have to get my ring resized from a 11 down to 9.5 but depending on time of day etc that will be too tight. Suppose thats something else to look up.

I'm just starting my weight loss journey, but my boyfriend does weight training and has been preparing me mentally (because I have never worked out in my life...). The whole losing inches but not weigh could be because as you work out, you gain muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. So you can be losing fat and gaining muscle which would make it appear like a plateau, but you're good --and gaining muscle is good! Muscle helps you burn fat, so keep up the Protein and you know if your work schedule is busy just do what you can, like take the stairs any chance you have, or take the parking spot in the back of the lot, etc. :D :D :D

11 days since I posted this and down another 2.5 to 273.6 but its getting much harder. Starting to feel like the honeymoon period has wore off and now its just going to be like 1lb/week which at my weight feels too slow. Still a long way from my goal. In past attempts at losing weight when this would happen I would get discouraged and fall off the deep end. I dont have those same urges anymore but it felt a lot better when I was losing 3-5lbs every week.

I was 268 on the scale this morning seem to be breaking through this plateau. Coming up on the down 100lb milestone ahead of a trip I have in 3 weeks. Its reachable but going to be very tight. Something to work towards. Important to note I havent made any notable changes I just started losing again, its all very weird.

Congrats on breaking through the plateau. I'm also noticing that its getting harder to lose quickly. However, I feel like it could be my fault, for the most part in some cases, incidentally.