Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just sleeved on 8/12/19. Everyone talks about moderate pain, but holy moly, mine's not moderate when I try to stand or sit or bend or do anything that requires core muscles. It burns behind the 'big' incision, and I have to use my arms and other people to stand up. Tonight, the stabbing pain had me in tears as i tried to stand up from the couch. And coughing??? I feel like someone is stabbing a knife in my abdomen. I told the surgeon this on Thursday, and they seemed unconcerned--but it feels odd that I'm seemingly the only one who is experiencing this. (Fwiw, I've got a hella high pain threshold.) It is getting a little better each day, but then something will happen that makes it come back hard again.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved on the 12th as well. I have an occasional "twinge" every now and again .but otherwise great. I did have a cough until today. Maybe you can up your pain meds. Sorry that you are struggling.

I was sleeved 3 days ago, the pain is pretty bad when I go overboard on a sip of Water or broth. Larger sips are starting to be more tolerable, and oddly Decaf green tea was a MIRACLE for me. After not being able to get 12 ounces of water in my first day, my second day I was able to drink 24 ounces of green tea during a flight. Not bottled, just brewed and watered down.

I was sleeved 3 days ago, the pain is pretty bad when I go overboard on a sip of Water or broth. Larger sips are starting to be more tolerable, and oddly Decaf green tea was a MIRACLE for me. After not being able to get 12 ounces of Water in my first day, my second day I was able to drink 24 ounces of green tea during a flight. Not bottled, just brewed and watered down.

I'm with you Vance! That pain from sipping water or broth is so so uncomfortable! I was sleeved yesterday and that initial gas pain made me ALMOST regret my choice! Then I started walking and walking and walking and walking and walking and walking and it's significantly better. I still couldn't finish one bottled water in a 24 hrs span until I discovered walking and drinking is light years better than sitting and drinking. So as I have been walking, I've been drinking and seriously hope they get outta the hospital tomorrow!!![emoji57]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats everyone!!! The pain does get better. Walk, walk walk. Sip sip sip. The more hydrated, the better!!! Drink it slowly. Vary temps until you find the one that works best for you. Also if needed, take that liquid tylenol at the first sign of pain. It really cuts it to a very manageable level!!!

14 hours ago, Livelychick said:

Just sleeved on 8/12/19. Everyone talks about moderate pain, but holy moly, mine's not moderate when I try to stand or sit or bend or do anything that requires core muscles. It burns behind the 'big' incision, and I have to use my arms and other people to stand up. Tonight, the stabbing pain had me in tears as i tried to stand up from the couch. And coughing??? I feel like someone is stabbing a knife in my abdomen. I told the surgeon this on Thursday, and they seemed unconcerned--but it feels odd that I'm seemingly the only one who is experiencing this. (Fwiw, I've got a hella high pain threshold.) It is getting a little better each day, but then something will happen that makes it come back hard again.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Are you walking to get the gas out? I had my July 30 and had no pain or took pain meds at all.

Livelychick thanks for sharing this issue. I'm scheduled for surgery 8/29/19 and although I'm so, so sorry you're in pain, I want to know every possible setback that could occur. I've read the other responses and I hope that provides relief. By you opening up, I'm getting information that I hadn't yet received. I'm being told to consumer 64 ounces of Water per day and 40 grams of Protein. Now I know that just might not be possible at first but I will get there. Thanks again for sharing and I truly hope you feel better soon.

Are you walking to get the gas out? I had my July 30 and had no pain or took pain meds at all.
Yep. Walking at least 5000 steps per day. When I walk it doesn't hurt at all; it only hurts when I have to sit up from a reclined position or sit down or bend down or do any kind of twisting in a sitting position. Getting in and out of bed was so painful that I almost blacked out. Can only back sleep; tried to side sleep two nights ago and again, just the act of crawling into bed face down was so painful that everything went dark for a beat.

Everyone's responses here make me wonder if something is amiss. I'm calling tomorrow.

Livelychick thanks for sharing this issue. I'm scheduled for surgery 8/29/19 and although I'm so, so sorry you're in pain, I want to know every possible setback that could occur. I've read the other responses and I hope that provides relief. By you opening up, I'm getting information that I hadn't yet received. I'm being told to consumer 64 ounces of Water per day and 40 grams of Protein. Now I know that just might not be possible at first but I will get there. Thanks again for sharing and I truly hope you feel better soon.

Thank you! Apparently, I'm an anomaly!

Hey there! i had my surgery 8/8 and have had the same issue. It does get better with time! I found the if i applied a little pressure to the site before standing/moving/turning, that often helps! I still have a little pain now, but it is definitely more of a dull pain now rather than a "omg what did I break pain." Hope you get to feeling better sooner rather than later!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 5 months out, but I had significant pain (and I have a high threshhold for pain) for 4 weeks. At four weeks I was "magically" pain free. I started walking at the gym during week two and it hurt, but as time went on it got incrementally better, until it disappeared at 4 weeks. I had been expecting the no big deal recovery that I had heard about and back to work at two weeks. But that was not my experience.

I'm 5 months out, but I had significant pain (and I have a high threshhold for pain) for 4 weeks. At four weeks I was "magically" pain free. I started walking at the gym during week two and it hurt, but as time went on it got incrementally better, until it disappeared at 4 weeks. I had been expecting the no big deal recovery that I had heard about and back to work at two weeks. But that was not my experience.
Exactly! I actually started working from home four days post-op, then went in the office at one week. Wearing anything restrictive (like jeans) is a no-no, but I'm pushing through. Tylenol!!!

I was sleeved the same day as you, and the last couple days, I've been having a stinging, burning pain at the largest incision cite too. I assume it's because one of the dissolving stitches is dissolving so the muscle is under more stress. I'm being extra careful of lifting now.

I wasn't cleared for exercise or lifting until week 4. I also had staples and when I went in week 3 they were starting to annoy me. Other than that I haven't had pain at all.