Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is Sept 9th and I’m so scared! Like I’m very excited to start this new beginning in my life but I’m also scared of dying and complications. I’ve never had surgery before. And yes I’m a little dramatic. Did anyone else have this problem? So super scared.

29 minutes ago, brandimichellexo said:

My surgery is Sept 9th and I’m so scared! Like I’m very excited to start this new beginning in my life but I’m also scared of dying and complications. I’ve never had surgery before. And yes I’m a little dramatic. Did anyone else have this problem? So super scared.

Omg, yes! I was absolutely terrified of the same thing and I've had probably 10 surgeries.

I bawled in front of my family, PA, surgeon and the nurses. They were all so helpful and caring.

My suggestion is to ask if you can take some kind of anti-anxiety medication before surgery to help keep you relaxed. I should have asked if I could have done that myself.

Best wishes on your surgery, it is so worth it!💗

Think of all the positives! Also you've really got no choice. Have surgery or not have it and die young anyway.

Think of the future :)

Well. I personally would worry about someone who didn't have some fear, at least a little, sometime in this long process. You are totally normal! :)

I have had a lot of surgeries myself-one just yesterday even (gallbladder out) and I can honestly say the bypass was the most anxiety provoking one by far. It is a BIG choice to make, after all, and it is wrapped up in lots of old emotions around weight and failure that we all deal with.

So, know you ARE OK, but try to use that fear by turning that energy into something positive now instead.

Ideas:

Write down all the things you want to do after you lose some of the weight. Collect bariatric friendly recipes. Check out some of the great posts here of before and after pictures for inspiration etc.

Stick to your plan, use that (totally normal!) fear to get better prepared and give yourself grace when you need to.

It really IS going to be ok.

You can do this!!!💙

you won't die. The mortality rate on RNY is 0.3%. It's even lower for the sleeve. So you have at least a 99.7% chance of coming through surgery just fine - and you will. This is one of the safest surgeries out there, safer than hip replacement surgery, which they do every day. To be honest, I think my plastic surgery might have been more dangerous than my RNY, given I was under anesthesia for six hours with that (and only about 90 minutes for RNY).

complications aren't that common and when they do exist, they're usually minor. I had a stricture, which happens to about 5% of RNY patients. It's an easy fix and I was told it's one of the most common complications of RNY. I would hardly call something that happens to 5% of patients "common", but that's what you're dealing with (i.e., a pretty small risk of complications)

I know it's hard not to be scared about it - I was as well, but try to keep in mind this is a very low-risk procedure.

Well. I personally would worry about someone who didn't have some fear, at least a little, sometime in this long process. You are totally normal! [emoji4]
I have had a lot of surgeries myself-one just yesterday even (gallbladder out) and I can honestly say the bypass was the most anxiety provoking one by far. It is a BIG choice to make, after all, and it is wrapped up in lots of old emotions around weight and failure that we all deal with.
So, know you ARE OK, but try to use that fear by turning that energy into something positive now instead.
Ideas:
Write down all the things you want to do after you lose some of the weight. Collect bariatric friendly recipes. Check out some of the great posts here of before and after pictures for inspiration etc.
Stick to your plan, use that (totally normal!) fear to get better prepared and give yourself grace when you need to.
It really IS going to be ok.
You can do this!!![emoji170]

Well said!! This is my first post since surgery yesterday. I was feverish and filled with all types of anxieties last 2 days it was insane because I was not prone to feeling anxious after a wonderful and exciting decision has been made. I've also had surgeries in the, most recently removed my lapband with amazing recovery afterwards.

This surgery was the first I went into worried about my mortality inspite of knowing how unlikely it was to die from it. I worried about not feeling prepared, worried about if I can just continue my ago old diet and exercise!!

In the end, they are very normal feelings. You will be fine. You have done the difficult part.

Good luck and cheers[emoji169][emoji169]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

My sugery is sept 6 and I'm scared as hell too. Its the only thing i seem to think about lately. I think about all the possible outcomes for my life after wls. But i try to think positive[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery is 30th August and I'm not scared of surgery itself
I'm scared of anaesthetic and not waking up after [emoji28]
Also I'm thinking about how the hell will they put me to surgical table or to bed after [emoji23] I'm heavy and huge [emoji23]
I know it is safe procedure but fear is irrational [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Selena_Sarajevo said:

My surgery is 30th August and I'm not scared of surgery itself
I'm scared of anaesthetic and not waking up after
Also I'm thinking about how the hell will they put me to surgical table or to bed after I'm heavy and huge
I know it is safe procedure but fear is irrational

hey they got the rest of us on that table! And into the hospital bed, too! Don't worry - Dr. Now's patients are all 600+ lbs, and they get them on the table and into the bed, too!

I don't think you're being dramatic at all. Any type of surgery can be daunting. But the information given by the others is true. My surgery is next week and I too feel a little anxious. Thanks for sharing your fears so others can see and relate. I wish you only the best on your weight loss journey!!!

I’m having my surgery on the 19th. I’m not scared, but when I had my c section for my son, I was terrified. I had my daughter vaginally and rather quickly. So when they told me I had to have a c section for my son, I was not expecting it and I freaked out. I cried like a baby. I was so scared, I was shaking.

Well, guess what? It was so amazingly fast, so easy and so much less painful that when I gave birth to my daughter the old fashioned way. It was so wonderful that I was actually super embarrassed that I had made such a scene. In fact, if I ever were to give birth again (which I won’t as my tubes are tied), I would demand a c section. It was just so much better. I was up and about the very next day. With my daughter I literally was bed ridden for an entire week.

Long story short, it’s ok to be scared. Especially if you’ve never had any surgery before. But you’ll probably think back and laugh at yourself for being so nervous afterwards.

You have totally got this. You will be so happy in the end. Just keep your eye on that.

**raises hand** so scared especially since I am getting closer. I almost backed out of it when I went to a bariatric support group. It seemed everyone there had complications. However, they did say it was worth it. I

I do see a therapist every week, so I talk to her about this and we have been walking through it.

Stick with it. You have this!

hey they got the rest of us on that table! And into the hospital bed, too! Don't worry - Dr. Now's patients are all 600+ lbs, and they get them on the table and into the bed, too!
Yep, I know [emoji23] This is just me - being foolish [emoji854] It sounds funny even to me but it is one think I do think about [emoji846] sure thing they are equipped to deal with obese patients . Your answers make me realise how funny my fears are [emoji7] thanks