Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2019 Check In

I.AM.MISERABLE!

I think I’m taking in air when I drink?

I mean I’ve been drinking my whole life, why, right now, after being sleeved 8/13 is it excruciating to drink?

I saw my regular dr for a weekly follow up and he told me to try a straw if I was having no luck...

I’m sure I’m over thinking it...

But I’ve even thrown up because the air hurts so bad!

Mom standing up to drink and I’m walking...

Anyone else?

15 hours ago, Ellandriel said:

I.AM.MISERABLE!

I mean I’ve been drinking my whole life, why, right now, after being sleeved 8/13 is it excruciating to drink?

I saw my regular dr for a weekly follow up and he told me to try a straw if I was having no luck...

Anyone else?

Try making sure everything is warm or room temp. If I drink cold, it hurts. I take small sips and make sure I burp as much as possible. If I am really thirsty or have just drank a few mouthfuls in a row, I always lay down afterwards for a bit, sitting upright seems to make things more uncomfortable.

I try and pace myself to one mouthful every 5-10mins during the day. Only when I wake up and have a dry moth, I want to drink faster. So I keep a bottle of Water beside the bed and stay laying down after first few mouthfuls.

Not sure about a straw, I tried to drink an ensure drink with a straw and it made it much worse. Didn’t matter how I tried to not suck air in with the drink, didn’t work.

The most liquid I can get in now is barely 1/4 a cup before it gets painful. Water, Soup, Protein Shake, doesn’t matter what. If I go over 1/4 in a short space of time it hurts.

Hope it gets a little easier for you soon.

So two weeks post op today, I was switched to purée at day 12.... doing good. The horrible pain I had was rough- my doc finally suggested getting off the crazy pain killers and giving an ibuprofen a shot ( I’m sleeved so he said it was ok just for a few days) anyway that did the trick.
I have got the two week stall- I really need to put my scale away!! The purée stage is nice cause of the options but I’m noticing how “heavy” things are sitting- especially in the evening.
I have not thrown up at all post op but man sometimes I wish I could lol. In the meantime walking seems to help a bit

9 hours ago, KimTrim said:

So two weeks post op today, I was switched to purée at day 12.... doing good. The horrible pain I had was rough- my doc finally suggested getting off the crazy pain killers and giving an ibuprofen a shot ( I’m sleeved so he said it was ok just for a few days) anyway that did the trick.
I have got the two week stall- I really need to put my scale away!! The purée stage is nice cause of the options but I’m noticing how “heavy” things are sitting- especially in the evening.
I have not thrown up at all post op but man sometimes I wish I could lol. In the meantime walking seems to help a bit

I'm glad you are starting to feel a little better! I just started purees today. I was so amazed that three bites of soft, scrambled egg was completely filling!

I agree that the more solid textured foods sit heavier in the pouch. Granted I have one meal behind me on this but, still. I feel like I ate thanksgiving dinner + dessert right now!

I have been working from home for a few days. I am excited to go back into the office on Thursday. I enjoy seeing my fur kids and working in my PJs but I am ready for normalcy!

Day 11 post OP.
My program went straight to soft foods about a week post OP. I tried eggs once and it didn't go down well so I've abstained for now. I went back to liquids fir a few days and now able to tolerate refried Beans, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, fish and even chicken breasts. Quantity is the issue, I think about 5 to 6 bites of fish and chicken and I am full. I'm allowed 1/2 cup cooked veggies OR non citrus fruits with my Proteins but I've not done much of that yet. I typically pair my fish or chicken with cottage or ricotta cheese or plain yogurt.
No starches, grains, sugar or dense carbs allowed for now and I don't miss it.
So averaging 60g to 70g of Protein daily, less than 10g of net carbs.
About 500 cals (on a good day) daily.

Went back to work yesterday, dealt with head hunger for a bit because of past routines with food and colleagues but working through it.

Gently trying to get 10K steps per day if able.
Surgical scars have closed but feel a pinch on the largest incision when I bend too quickly otherwise it's like surgery didn't happen.
I choose to weigh weekly so next weigh in is Friday.

Prayer is that we all ease into this new lifestyle effortlessly[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/26/2019 at 8:52 AM, Ellandriel said:

I.AM.MISERABLE!

Anyone else?

hey you shouldn't be in this much pain and you should be able to sip easily. Go get a check-up from the bariatric team, I ended up with a volvulus and ended up having a 2nd emergency op on 21st Aug, after I had an endoscopic dilation that didn't work !! I couldn't keep anything down and was in severe pain. So ended up having my sleeve then bypassed with 1 anastomosis. Some great pics of the state I was in, i shall share later. I was in hospital for 14 nights

3 weeks post op and I'm struggling with getting everything in that I need a day. Water, Protein, Vitamins, antacid, medication, puree foods....

It seems like so much. I'm not in pain from eating or drinking, I'm just almost never hungry, and at the rate that I can drink, it never feels like I've drank enough by the time I go to bed :(. How do you fit it all in in a single day, wake up and do it again the next day?

Today is my first day back at work in the office. I packed several Protein Shakes and my little baby food cups of Beans and cottage cheese as I am on the puree stage. It feels good to be back in and to get some normalcy back into my routine. It has been so much easier to eat on schedule at work, to remember to take all of my supplements and to get a decent amount of Water down.

I still feel like I have an excess of gas (I am very quietly belching, for the most part) and I am looking forward to going home and taking a small walk around the apartment complex. I am just past two weeks post op and I feel pretty good! I feel like I am losing weight at a consistent rate, I noticed it was not as hard to run up the steps for work this morning as it had been in the past.

My goals for next week: Weigh myself weekly, hit my water goal every day, and experiment with different foods that I have thus far not been able to really eat due to the full liquids I have now passed.

1 hour ago, Azlanie said:

My goals for next week: Weigh myself weekly, hit my Water goal every day, and experiment with different foods that I have thus far not been able to really eat due to the full liquids I have now passed.

Thats awesome! Congrats on getting back to work so smoothly. I love to hear it.

If I can offer up an interesting recipe, Wild Planet cans (tuna and salmon) are really good quality and really high in Protein. I like to take the tuna, add some cottage cheese, smoke gouda spread, and franks red hot sauce for a sort of... buffalo tuna salad.

Amazing how much taste has changed. Things that normally taste good now are so ugh.

Getting enough Water is the hardest part. But it is nice to actually start to feel normal again.

On 8/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, PeachPerfect said:

The hospital brought you a fruit smoothie? That is wild to me. My clear diet allowed me: Water, Diet Snapple, Crystal Light, any ~0 calorie/0 sugar drinks, chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium), Silk or Almond milk and my required high protein/low calorie shakes. I'm not even allowed coffee for 20 more days ... not that I'm counting ;).

My discharge day mine brought me pudding, parfaits etc I was like are you serious?? LOL It was sooooo sweet. I could barely handle just dipping the spoon in it thankfully I didn't get yelled at for not eating.

I had the bypass on the 28th and fluids are such a challenge! I'm going to have to start drinking Protein Water because I just cannot get the 30 grams I'm required to get right now because the Protein Shakes are like lead in my stomach. I've been eating strained cream of chicken Soup and that sits like lead too. Popsicles are great because they go down very easily.

RNY 8/2/19. Having trouble with hydration. Water makes me nauseous. They had to send a nurse to set me up with in him IV hydration feeling a little bummed
I'm so sorry to hear that. Have you tried Water infused with fruits like HINT or making yours? I find that it goes down easier. Also walking and drinking goes down easier for me so I hold a bottled water while pacing around my house and sip and walk until water is gone. It's hard initially but starts to get better. Hydration is a MUST so I just DO IT like Nike [emoji5]
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. IV at home is a bummer [emoji17]
Cheers and keep your chin up [emoji169]🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, wmgatewoodharmon said:

RNY 8/2/19. Having trouble with hydration. Water makes me nauseous. They had to send a nurse to set me up with in him IV hydration feeling a little bummed

hmm have they looked into why Water is making you nauseous? You had surgery a while ago now so it doesn't seem right at all that things haven't settled a bit. Are you taking anti-emetics regularly? I am still on regular antiemetics and I had surgery on the 12th and then the 20th.

Have they done your bloods and a scan?