Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2019 Check In

Well done Kristieshannon! I was sleeved on 8/16 so 3 days post op. I've had difficulty drinking Water but get to about 32 oz of water yesterday and trying higher today.
The bloating, tightness of the abdominal area is unreal occasionally. I couldn't stomach the store bought broth but my amazing and awesome kids nanny made me homemade veggies and chicken broth and it was AMAZING!! Best thing I've tasted since I got home.

I need to get some Gas X as the gas pressure is still present. I've also been walking a lot and it makes pain tolerable. I have not needed any painkillers since discharge.

My program requires Clear Liquids until post OP class where they'll advance us and even give us a prepared meal. I'm looking forward to any form of caloric intake tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my one week followup with my surgeon's office today. My doctor was on vacation (lucky him!) so I was able to meet with another surgeon and I was told my incisions look great, that I can advance my diet to purees next week, and that I am good to work from home starting tomorrow through next Wednesday!

The week since my surgery literally flew by. I feel like it has only been a few days. I am very pleased with how I am healing, with my pouch being tolerant of the cream Soups and Protein supplements I am feeding it. I was super excited to receive a few recipes from the dietitian today.

The best news to me is that my blood pressure is already approaching normal range! I am so happy and so excited that I am already starting to see some of the payoff from undergoing the sleeve. I was "prescribed" two walks per day - one in the morning, one in the evening.

How long do you all walk for? I am hoping to fit in 15 to 20 minutes each time but my stamina is still very, very low :(

On 8/18/2019 at 11:57 PM, ANewStart4Me said:

Mine was pretty much the same. Clear Liquids day 1 and straight to straw diet. If I can suck it through a straw (not literally of course) then the consistency is allowed. And by day 2 the hospital was trying to bring me fruit smoothies. I was like ugh this is so heavy and noped right out of it.

Now that I am home I have switched to soy milk. I just can’t handle any normal milk at all, even a tiny bit in my coffee each morning. Few sips of coffee with normal milk and I feel it. But soy milk I can drink the entire cup of coffee no issues.

ohh are you drinking real coffee? I'm going through some awful withdrawal and self-pity about it lol

On 8/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, PeachPerfect said:

The hospital brought you a fruit smoothie? That is wild to me. My clear diet allowed me: Water, Diet Snapple, Crystal Light, any ~0 calorie/0 sugar drinks, chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium), Silk or Almond milk and my required high protein/low calorie shakes. I'm not even allowed coffee for 20 more days ... not that I'm counting ;).

I'm counting every second haha

10 hours ago, CrowLuv said:

ohh are you drinking real coffee? I'm going through some awful withdrawal and self-pity about it lol

Yeah, I was given real coffee with caffeine in hospital. Cuppacino even and it was so good. At home I am only drink flat whites and I don’t want all the frothy milk in my stomach. Using soy milk and making them a little more milky than normal. I had rny on the 12 th of August, first week I was on one coffee a day and that took me about 1 hr to drink and I didn’t want more. Last 2 days I can drink my coffee in around 30 mins and starting to feel like a second coffee in the afternoon would be nice but I won’t go there yet.

Went for the mandatory pcp follow up post surgery[emoji57][emoji57] Didn't want to go because I knew I was going to be weighed!
But anyway, 7 days post OP and 11lbs lost[emoji54][emoji54][emoji54][emoji54][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119]

I’m so pleased with how I’m feeling! I’m sleeping so soundly at night, waking up with energy. The aprox. 500 cal/ day I’m getting in feels “just right”, I’m satisfied without being too full. We were at our beach house since Saturday, and I don’t have a scale there. I stepped on this morning and was so excited to see I’m down 9.2 lbs since surgery on 8/12! Now a total of 31.2 since my first surgeon visit in February of this year. I have another week off from work. On the agenda is to check out gyms in my area, pick one, and get signed up. I have my 2 week check up next Tuesday which includes a diet advancement class. I’ll be glad to progress beyond my full liquid diet!

I'm in shock and awe!! Don't know what to think.!

Weight at 1st meeting 5/19: 199.4
Weight on surgery day: 214 8/19 (yes food funerals)!!
Weight 2 days post OP: 224lbs (I actually just ignored this an acted like it didn't happen)
Weight today as I sit waiting for my Doc: 203lbs
Surgery date 8/16/19. 11lbs in 7 days [emoji54]

I am the biggest skeptic in the world because I was so sure this may not work for me.
Just encouraging any one out there that doubts the abilities of this surgery, especially given everything we have done in the past, it Works and please go for it!

Wow-awesome Deedee!!!!

Wow-awesome Deedee!!!!
Thanks so much!!! [emoji169][emoji169][emoji169]

I’m so pleased with how I’m feeling! I’m sleeping so soundly at night, waking up with energy. The aprox. 500 cal/ day I’m getting in feels “just right”, I’m satisfied without being too full. We were at our beach house since Saturday, and I don’t have a scale there. I stepped on this morning and was so excited to see I’m down 9.2 lbs since surgery on 8/12! Now a total of 31.2 since my first surgeon visit in February of this year. I have another week off from work. On the agenda is to check out gyms in my area, pick one, and get signed up. I have my 2 week check up next Tuesday which includes a diet advancement class. I’ll be glad to progress beyond my full liquid diet!
Well done Kristieshannon!!!![emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
I feel the same with the energy and 500cals per day!!!

On 08/23/2019 at 14:30, Deedee12 said:

Went for the mandatory pcp follow up post surgery[emoji57][emoji57] Didn't want to go because I knew I was going to be weighed!
But anyway, 7 days post OP and 11lbs lost[emoji54][emoji54][emoji54][emoji54][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119]

Omg!!! 11 lbs in a week is wonderful!!!! You must be thrilled I know I would be! I’m 4 days out from surgery & I’m down 2.5 lbs & I’m thrilled about that. Now I just have to do that 50 more times & I’ll be happy !! 😆

On 08/21/2019 at 15:45, CrowLuv said:

Somebody say real coffee?? I’m looking forward to that. I was told no caffeine. Does anyone know why not?

Just now, Chiptress said:

Somebody say real coffee? ? I’m looking forward to that. I was told no caffeine. Does anyone know why not?

From what I understand, it can irritate our new pouch/stomach, impede healing, just make things more difficult, and while I've been a coffee-addict-goddess since I was a child*, I really wanted to basically NOT MESS UP ha ha ha.

*not kidding, my grandma made me "Coffee in a Baba" 😂)

I gotta tell you, my caffeine withdrawal was BRUTAL but thankfully pretty short (didn't feel like it for that 24 hour hellish headache ha ha).

I am very excited about one day having coffee again, LOL

P.S. I adore your username - so funny and relatable 😆

6 hours ago, Chiptress said:

Somebody say real coffee? ? I’m looking forward to that. I was told no caffeine. Does anyone know why not?

Some say as it can dehydrate, it is also mild diuretic, others say due to it being acidic not good for your pouch.

I was shocked when the dieticians said I would be allowed coffee straight away, as I did say coffee would be one of my struggles and drinking enough Water. They assured me one coffee a day is allowed and had no issue with it.

I then questioned my surgeon over it also. He said one cup a day he has no issue with. Drinking it in excess I’m not allowed. For the acid side of things making sure I’m taking my ppi’s every day it is no worse than anything else I am having. I do make sure I have it extra milky to be safe. And he said one cup will not dehydrate or cause a diuretic effect, count it as fluids in.

It is amazing how different all surgeons are. What some allow and what others require. Listen to your surgeons but also listen to your body, don’t do anything that doesn’t feel right. This is one surgery that really shows how different everybody is and how our pouches handle things after.