Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2019 Check In

I know that we are starting to gain momentum in the August club. How is everyone doing? Have you gone back to work yet? How are you getting in your fluids and Protein?

I was sleeved on Wednesday 8/14. Yesterday was my first day home, and it was rough! I keep sip sip sipping but I know o am falling short on intake. I took a shower by myself just now, and I can get up and down off the sofa and our of my chair with only a moment of sharp pain.

I hope everyone else is doing well :)

I had bypass 8/13. I was home on 8/14. Yesterday was pretty easy. Today I’m having trouble getting in my fluids and Protein. I’m off work for 6 weeks.

Hello everyone!

I was sleeved on 8/13. I had to stay 2 nights due to not keeping anything down.

I feel sleepy still. I am having a hard time waking up?

I am drinking and man the air intake is intense!

I’ve read that shakes are hard, my dietician told me Fairlife 26gr of Protein it’s delicious and tastes like ice cream

I’m looking forward to not sucking air!

amanda

I was sleeved yesterday 8am. Still in the hospital. Drank only 3 bottle caps of Water the entire day!
Yesterday was horrible! There's no other way to describe the gas pain!!! Today I woke up feeling semi human. I'm hoping to go back home today and it can't be dependent on keeping anything down because much as I try, it's HARD!![emoji25][emoji25]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sleeved on 8/12. Been having a rough time honestly. Struggling to get ,y fluids in and am having really sharp cramping pain in my abdomen right across my belly button, and super sore flank pain.
I have gone into the local er twice first time they did a CT to check for leaks ( none) gas ( just some tiny bubbles) and Constipation ( none) so they sent me home with a liquid morphine.
Today ( went back in cause even the morphine is not helping) we ran blood work again and I was dehydrated so they gave me iv fluids.
The scan did show I have a kidney stone but the dr said since it hasn’t moved that it’s not what’s causing the pain.
So basically they have no clue why I’m spending most of my day doubled over.
I’m thinking of going back to just Clear Liquids for a few days to try and rule out a milk sensitivity.
Have any of you experienced something similar?? Every thing else is healing nicely and I think I would be feeling amazing if not for whatever is going on

10 hours ago, KimTrim said:

Sleeved on 8/12. Been having a rough time honestly. Struggling to get ,y fluids in and am having really sharp cramping pain in my abdomen right across my belly button, and super sore flank pain.
I have gone into the local er twice first time they did a CT to check for leaks ( none) gas ( just some tiny bubbles) and Constipation ( none) so they sent me home with a liquid morphine.
Today ( went back in cause even the morphine is not helping) we ran blood work again and I was dehydrated so they gave me iv fluids.
The scan did show I have a kidney stone but the dr said since it hasn’t moved that it’s not what’s causing the pain.
I’m thinking of going back to just Clear Liquids for a few days to try and rule out a milk sensitivity.
Have any of you experienced something similar?? Every thing else is healing nicely and I think I would be feeling amazing if not for whatever is going on

I have been experiencing minor lower left abdominal pain but nothing like you have described! When do you follow up with your surgeons office again?

I got sleeved 8/5 and doing pretty well minus my terrible sleep positions. I've never actually slept on my back before this surgery, so not being able to lay on my stomach has led me to twisting my body in my weird positions that I believe have resulted in me having a sore oblique, so I've been extra cautious about over exerting myself so it can heal and go back to good in a few days with no problems.

I was terrible with taking my Vitamins and crushed pills when I first got home, but now I'm on top of all of it and feeling real good about the future. Four more days and I've got the green light for pureed food. :)

Note: Only 1 of my 6 tapes have fallen off on its own.

11 hours ago, KimTrim said:

Did your surgeon not tell you to cut out milk? Even on my post-op diet I'm not allowed milk (make sure any Soup you have is a clear broth, if it tastes really good you probably shouldn't be allowed it lol --thats what my doctor says). I also use a Protein Powder that mixes with Water and makes a juice (not a shake). It's called Isopure and the Mango-lime flavor is my jam.

If you're having trouble keeping your liquids down, I would recommend doing all of your drinking standing up. I had a really hard time when I first came home. I was taking pain medication before the last dose could wear off, doing all of my drinking standing up while walking around very slowly, and I propped myself up with pillows at night so I didn't go to sleep flat on my back (for some reason that was so uncomfortable). It wont stay this bad, it's less than two weeks later for me and I haven't taken a single pill for pain today.

Did your surgeon not tell you to cut out milk? Even on my post-op diet I'm not allowed milk (make sure any Soup you have is a clear broth, if it tastes really good you probably shouldn't be allowed it lol --thats what my doctor says). I also use a Protein Powder that mixes with Water and makes a juice (not a shake). It's called Isopure and the Mango-lime flavor is my jam.

If you're having trouble keeping your liquids down, I would recommend doing all of your drinking standing up. I had a really hard time when I first came home. I was taking pain medication before the last dose could wear off, doing all of my drinking standing up while walking around very slowly, and I propped myself up with pillows at night so I didn't go to sleep flat on my back (for some reason that was so uncomfortable). It wont stay this bad, it's less than two weeks later for me and I haven't taken a single pill for pain today.
I agree!! I had horrible cramps when I drank my fluids sitting down. It got significantly better when I started walking and drinking. That's what eventually got me 48 oz of Water and discharged.
That cramping sucks!!! I know exactly how you feel. Keep walking and see if it makes a difference otherwise I'd go to the clinic tomorrow if I were you.

Hope you feel better soon 🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks guys- I am definitely going to try the standing thing and am calling my office first thing in the morning- I was hoping to be able to take care of it locally ( office is 2 hours away) but it’s time to get the experts to help.
my office said milk was cool- even recommended it as a full liquid ( we go straight to full liquid the day after Surgery)

but I was wondering if that might be part of the problem too- I have never been much of a milk drinker

I am scheduled for surgery this Friday, August 23rd. My insurance still hasn’t given the preauthorization and I’m started to get quite frustrated. I don’t want the surgery to have to be postponed. Has anyone else had to wait on insurance approval after the date was already set?

On 08/18/2019 at 17:39, DietrichWarnick said:

I am scheduled for surgery this Friday, August 23rd. My insurance still hasn’t given the preauthorization and I’m started to get quite frustrated. I don’t want the surgery to have to be postponed. Has anyone else had to wait on insurance approval after the date was already set?

Yes. Mine was postponed 1 week. I was supposed to have it 7/12/19 but insurance asked for something additional. At 1st I was upset but it was for the best because I honestly needed that additional week to calm my nerves and get my s^%# together. I’m going in tomorrow 6:00 a.m. Try not to worry too much. The hospital usually know how to work with the ins.

7 hours ago, KimTrim said:

Thanks guys- I am definitely going to try the standing thing and am calling my office first thing in the morning- I was hoping to be able to take care of it locally ( office is 2 hours away) but it’s time to get the experts to help.
my office said milk was cool- even recommended it as a full liquid ( we go straight to full liquid the day after Surgery)

but I was wondering if that might be part of the problem too- I have never been much of a milk drinker

Mine was pretty much the same. Clear liquids day 1 and straight to straw diet. If I can suck it through a straw (not literally of course) then the consistency is allowed. And by day 2 the hospital was trying to bring me fruit smoothies. I was like ugh this is so heavy and noped right out of it.

Now that I am home I have switched to soy milk. I just can’t handle any normal milk at all, even a tiny bit in my coffee each morning. Few sips of coffee with normal milk and I feel it. But soy milk I can drink the entire cup of coffee no issues.

12 hours ago, ANewStart4Me said:

And by day 2 the hospital was trying to bring me fruit smoothies. I was like ugh this is so heavy and noped right out of it.

The hospital brought you a fruit smoothie? That is wild to me. My clear diet allowed me: Water, Diet Snapple, Crystal Light, any ~0 calorie/0 sugar drinks, chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium), Silk or Almond milk and my required high protein/low calorie shakes. I'm not even allowed coffee for 20 more days ... not that I'm counting ;).

I was sleeved 8/12, went home the next day. I ran a fever ever day through Friday, which has now resolved. First 3 days I was taking two naps a day. Now I’ve been 2 days with no naps. I’m sleeping well at night. Pain is now minimal, still a bit in my right shoulder. Lots of gas, well relieved with gas-x. Last 3 days my intake has been:

B: 1/2 Dannon Light & Fit yogurt + 1/2 Premier Protein shake ( takes about an hour to get this in)

L: other 1/2 of yogurt & shake

S: 1/2 Premier Protein shake

D: other 1/2 Protein Shake + 4 oz protein broth or protein Tomato soup

I’m getting in about 50 oz if Water per day

1 more week of full liquids before I get advanced to a soft food diet.

I’m up to about 7000 steps/ day

I’ve got 2 more weeks of work off, will go back after Labor Day