Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days Post Op - Unable to Drink Water and my experience so far.

Hey Folks,

I had my surgery on 08/07/2019. Things seemed to go great, I was concerned the day of the surgery that I was put into the wrong area of the hospital because the RN's on duty kept giving me things that I was not permitted to have.

They would walk in and give me full cups of liquid and asking if I wanted a soda. They would put straws in everything, they never asked me if I wanted anything to eat. etc.

I had to get my little book to show them what I was supposed to be eating and they still would bring me a full cup of Soup that had chunks of things in it. I barely drank any Water while I was in the hospital and because I was nervous about the nursing staff not knowing what was going on, I kept asking them to give me popsicles, until I found out they were giving me sugar popsicles.

My hospital experience was unique, I had an RN at the end that walked in and gave me a once over and started taking all kinds of stuff out of my room and then replaced everything with things I would expect from a Gastric Sleeve surgery. You could tell she knew exactly what she was doing because she would bring me in these little medicine cups and tiny spoons and she wouldn't allow anything to be left within reach that I could drink. She said it was to lessen my temptation. She was really good. Sadly, she was my RN as I was leaving so I didn't get to have much time there with her.

Besides a lot of cramping, I didn't have a lot of problems after surgery. I could not sleep in my bed so I got a lift recliner to help me out. I was walking all the time after my surgery. I didn't' have any pains there. Getting up and down I could feel it in my abdominal area, but it wasn't too bad.

here's where I started getting concerned.

I was following my surgeon's instructions to the T.

See, I have to take blood pressure medication, stool softener, anti-acid type pill, anti-nausea pill, a pill for cramping, my Multivitamin and then 3 times a day I have to take a Citra chewable, and twice a day I have to give myself a shot for blood thinning. They told me I had to space all that out 15 mins apart from each other and then work in eating and sipping water.

Being a big guy, I had no idea what a "sip" was. Is it what you do to the soup when it's hot?

Anyway, I was finding that I was not drinking enough water, I knew I wasn't, but I could not force water down myself. I was getting nauseous just tasking the water. I tried it hot, cold, room temp, ice-cold (almost ice), it was and still turns my stomach.

I told my Dietician and she told me I had to drink 50% of my fluids have to be plain water. I told her that it was difficult and she stopped responding to me.

yesterday I contacted my Surgeons nurse and told her that I have been having cramping that was lasting for hours each day, consecutively, and she told me that this is normal. I told her that I haven't had a BM since the day before my surgery and she stated that was normal, I then told her that I haven't had more than 8 oz of water a day since the surgery and she said that was fine, but she couldn't give me any suggestions on the diet aspect of the surgery as that's the responsibility of the dietitian.

She told me that her only suggestion was to go to the ER. Which I did.

My urine was extremely dark and the ER doctor hooked me up to an IV and said that I'm in very good spirits, he didn't see any issues but was wanting for my blood test to return. When he came back he was in a different mood. He said my liver count was 200 (whatever that means) and he didn't understand how my stats the day of the surgery were perfect and now they are 200 and he is concerned.

He said that my liver isn't filtering anything out and that's extremely dangerous. He said he didn't know what the cause was and is having me return on Friday to see if it's improving.

I sent another message to the dietician, they do not like calls and have to be contacted through an app, and she stated that I still have to drink 50% plain water. I told her I keep trying and I keep getting sick. I asked her about Gatorade Zero and she never responded.

Today I have been able to drink a Protein mix of 16 oz of water with 2 scoops of my shake, which goes down easy and I sip it over a period of time and I've been able to drink a 32 ounce of Gatorade Zero, I'll be drinking another shake later today which has another 16 oz of water in it.

In my head that should meet or come close to the 64 oz of liquid/water that I'm supposed to intake each day.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm also eating popsicles and putting some of the Gatorade zero in popsicle form to eat as a snack.

My urine this afternoon was not as dark as it has been previously, so I was thinking that I might be doing an okay thing.

2 hours ago, Sinema said:

Hey Folks,

I had my surgery on 08/07/2019. Things seemed to go great, I was concerned the day of the surgery that I was put into the wrong area of the hospital because the RN's on duty kept giving me things that I was not permitted to have.

They would walk in and give me full cups of liquid and asking if I wanted a soda. They would put straws in everything, they never asked me if I wanted anything to eat. etc.

I had to get my little book to show them what I was supposed to be eating and they still would bring me a full cup of Soup that had chunks of things in it. I barely drank any Water while I was in the hospital and because I was nervous about the nursing staff not knowing what was going on, I kept asking them to give me popsicles, until I found out they were giving me sugar popsicles.

My hospital experience was unique, I had an RN at the end that walked in and gave me a once over and started taking all kinds of stuff out of my room and then replaced everything with things I would expect from a Gastric Sleeve surgery. You could tell she knew exactly what she was doing because she would bring me in these little medicine cups and tiny spoons and she wouldn't allow anything to be left within reach that I could drink. She said it was to lessen my temptation. She was really good. Sadly, she was my RN as I was leaving so I didn't get to have much time there with her.

Besides a lot of cramping, I didn't have a lot of problems after surgery. I could not sleep in my bed so I got a lift recliner to help me out. I was walking all the time after my surgery. I didn't' have any pains there. Getting up and down I could feel it in my abdominal area, but it wasn't too bad.

See, I have to take blood pressure medication, stool softener, anti-acid type pill, anti-nausea pill, a pill for cramping, my Multivitamin and then 3 times a day I have to take a Citra chewable, and twice a day I have to give myself a shot for blood thinning. They told me I had to space all that out 15 mins apart from each other and then work in eating and sipping Water.

Being a big guy, I had no idea what a "sip" was. Is it what you do to the Soup when it's hot?

Anyway, I was finding that I was not drinking enough water, I knew I wasn't, but I could not force water down myself. I was getting nauseous just tasking the water. I tried it hot, cold, room temp, ice-cold (almost ice), it was and still turns my stomach.

I told my Dietician and she told me I had to drink 50% of my fluids have to be plain water. I told her that it was difficult and she stopped responding to me.

yesterday I contacted my Surgeons nurse and told her that I have been having cramping that was lasting for hours each day, consecutively, and she told me that this is normal. I told her that I haven't had a BM since the day before my surgery and she stated that was normal, I then told her that I haven't had more than 8 oz of water a day since the surgery and she said that was fine, but she couldn't give me any suggestions on the diet aspect of the surgery as that's the responsibility of the dietitian.

My urine was extremely dark and the ER doctor hooked me up to an IV and said that I'm in very good spirits, he didn't see any issues but was wanting for my blood test to return. When he came back he was in a different mood. He said my liver count was 200 (whatever that means) and he didn't understand how my stats the day of the surgery were perfect and now they are 200 and he is concerned.

He said that my liver isn't filtering anything out and that's extremely dangerous. He said he didn't know what the cause was and is having me return on Friday to see if it's improving.

I sent another message to the dietician, they do not like calls and have to be contacted through an app, and she stated that I still have to drink 50% plain water. I told her I keep trying and I keep getting sick. I asked her about Gatorade Zero and she never responded.

Today I have been able to drink a Protein mix of 16 oz of water with 2 scoops of my shake, which goes down easy and I sip it over a period of time and I've been able to drink a 32 ounce of Gatorade Zero, I'll be drinking another shake later today which has another 16 oz of water in it.

In my head that should meet or come close to the 64 oz of liquid/water that I'm supposed to intake each day.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm also eating popsicles and putting some of the Gatorade zero in popsicle form to eat as a snack.

My urine this afternoon was not as dark as it has been previously, so I was thinking that I might be doing an okay thing.

It breaks my heart that you are going through this. Seems like you are figuring it out very well though and your pouch will be healed soon. I would definitely request a new dietitian : ( Please keep us posted with your progress.

Your program sure is not serving you well. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. You have figured out what to do. Any Fluid should count towards your hydration. Good luck!!!!!

6 hours ago, Sinema said:

Hey Folks,

See, I have to take blood pressure medication, stool softener, anti-acid type pill, anti-nausea pill, a pill for cramping, my Multivitamin and then 3 times a day I have to take a Citra chewable, and twice a day I have to give myself a shot for blood thinning. They told me I had to space all that out 15 mins apart from each other and then work in eating and sipping Water.

Being a big guy, I had no idea what a "sip" was. Is it what you do to the Soup when it's hot?

I am angry to hear this! This partly happened to me (but I caught it and my NUT did too -- they gave me the wrong food/bev tray twice. I refused and actually got my surgeon in trouble.). Check out YouTube for "Dr v weight loss." He has an awesome set of videos (A LOT of them). Not sure if it will help you to figure out the "hydration" issue, but search :). He is hilarious, but on point for so much. Good luck! I just took my time and drank from little small cups until I got more down!

Maybe drink all of the sugar free cal free mostly clear drinks you can if Water is not working, yet.

Since they have a track record of not responding, call/text/email/messenger pigeon/whatever means of communication to get clear instructions and push back against the its fine answer.

Good Luck 💜

7 hours ago, Goldn02Grl said:

I am angry to hear this! This partly happened to me (but I caught it and my NUT did too -- they gave me the wrong food/bev tray twice. I refused and actually got my surgeon in trouble.). Check out YouTube for "Dr v weight loss." He has an awesome set of videos (A LOT of them). Not sure if it will help you to figure out the "hydration" issue, but search :). He is hilarious, but on point for so much. Good luck! I just took my time and drank from little small cups until I got more down!

Good morning - I totally agree with your suggestion regarding reviewing Dr. V's videos. I have learned so much from them and can't wait to use many of his techniques! There will definitely be something regarding "staying hydrated". I will suggest also trying the Premier Clear Protein Drinks too. Please keep us posted! Three days until my clear liquid pre-op diet - YESSSSSS!

On 08/15/2019 at 14:47, Sinema said:

Hey Folks,

See, I have to take blood pressure medication, stool softener, anti-acid type pill, anti-nausea pill, a pill for cramping, my Multivitamin and then 3 times a day I have to take a Citra chewable, and twice a day I have to give myself a shot for blood thinning. They told me I had to space all that out 15 mins apart from each other and then work in eating and sipping Water.< br />

Oh brother... yikes! 1st congrats on your surgery! 2nd..., Thank God you were educated enough to figure this out on your own. Some people might have taken what was offered& had major complications.

On 08/15/2019 at 21:44, Goldn02Grl said:

Ty for the Dr V suggestion. So informative (& entertaining).

20 hours ago, Sinema said:

Hey Folks,

I ran acoss this video by Dr. V that I though would be helpful for you. He talked about water/protein & what we can use to get them in, how much & things we can do to switch up food choices. I even wrote down one of his go to recipes that I will try this weekend, Kale/tomato soup! Hope you are feeling a lot better today!!!

Who was your surgeon or hospital?

1 hour ago, HipHopDiva said:

I ran acoss this video by Dr. V that I though would be helpful for you. He talked about water/protein & what we can use to get them in, how much & things we can do to switch up food choices. I even wrote down one of his go to recipes that I will try this weekend, Kale/tomato soup! Hope you are feeling a lot better today!!!

Thanks! Water disease -- Ha!

2 minutes ago, Goldn02Grl said:

Thanks! Water disease -- Ha!

How are you doing today? Are you still on liquid phase?

9 minutes ago, HipHopDiva said:

How are you doing today? Are you still on liquid phase?

I am doing great! I went for my first post-op with the surgeon this week and got cleared to exercise (love AquaFit).

I am at a stall with my weight loss, but not focusing on that (or trying not too)! I am actually coming off the pureed stage and actually ate some white fish and eggs this week. Has gone good so far. I still drink my 3/4 Unjury Protein Shakes to make sure I am getting my Protein in. Good news is that I am off all 3 of my BP meds! How are you??

1 minute ago, Goldn02Grl said:

I am doing great! I went for my first post-op with the surgeon this week and got cleared to exercise (love AquaFit).

I am at a stall with my weight loss, but not focusing on that (or trying not too)! I am actually coming off the pureed stage and actually ate some white fish and eggs this week. Has gone good so far. I still drink my 3/4 Unjury Protein Shakes to make sure I am getting my Protein in. Good news is that I am off all 3 of my BP meds! How are you??

Oh my you are doing FANTASTIC!! Keep it up!!! You are off 3 meducations too - Wow!! BRAVO! YES, do not worry about stales, they are expected. My surgery is not until August 27th & I'm gearing up for my 1 week pre-op diet Tuesday, August 20th! Keep us posted with your progress - I"m following your lead : )

5 minutes ago, HipHopDiva said:

Oh my you are doing FANTASTIC!! Keep it up!!! You are off 3 meducations too - Wow!! BRAVO! YES, do not worry about stales, they are expected. My surgery is not until August 27th & I'm gearing up for my 1 week pre-op diet Tuesday, August 20th! Keep us posted with your progress - I"m following your lead : )

It seems kinda surreal (the pre-op diet)! Good luck! I didn't think about Forums/groups before surgery (think I would have been more prepared! If you haven't gotten Dr. V's book, do so! I am almost finished reading it and it is great!