Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had pneumonia for a week and I am struggling to get even 50 gr of Protein in a day. I have no appetite and just can’t eat. I think I’m on the downhill slide, but I’m hoping I haven’t gone too long without enough protein.

I was maybe one day out from the hospital after surgery and ended up in the Er, turned out I had pneumonia, critically low potassium, an acute uti, plus was diagnosed with Dysphasia. I have immunodeficiency from lifelong chronic illness but was surprised how hard the surgery hit me. I had a rough time tolerating anything. try To find a Protein Drink you can tolerate and just sip very slowly to eventually drink it all. I still don’t get much more than 50-60 grams of Protein at most and sometimes not quite 50. Just do your best. It’s ok.

The first protein drink I tolerated a little better was labrada lean body in salted caramel. It’s good with 30 grams protein. Now I use PEScience Protein Powder.

1 hour ago, jennj said:

I have had pneumonia for a week and I am struggling to get even 50 gr of Protein in a day. I have no appetite and just can’t eat. I think I’m on the downhill slide, but I’m hoping I haven’t gone too long without enough Protein.

I've had pneumonia only once and it is one of the harder thing I've ever recovered from. Get what you can in each day. I've heard my own dr say that 60 mgs is the goal but do what you can. I know we have some very savvy veterans and some amazing medical professionals that are going through this same journey. I could be wrong but I think your 1st pty is to stay hydrated, then to get as much protein as you can.

My Dr's post-op even says 'there will be some days you only get 40 gms and other days where you can go higher. One thing his practices puts great emphasis is that full healing (per my Dr) takes 6 to 8 weeks. His nutritionist has told me twice this month that my body is going to take every calories i'm giving it to try to use to help heal my body. They've been doing this for over 15 years but even I have a hard time believing when she continues to assure me that my 'chances' at seeing a more rapid weight loss will actually come when my pouch and everything else has healed.

I know my DR doesn't want me taking the extra Vitamins we need in pill form right now, but he is OK with vitamin patches. He also prescribed this weekly 'inhaler' basically of B12 that you inhale it up one nostril. Is there some supportive stuff like this that your Dr will allow to help keep up a bit with Vitamin and nutrient needs (I will say that the B12 once a week seems to help).

I think...is it Frustr8 or someone else who actually goes in to their dr either monthly or bi-monthly and they get injections and some other stuff? Anyone know who I might be referring to?

Give yourself a break though...pneumonia on top of a new sleeve (we're July surgery siblings) is a lot for your body to take in and try to heal you from. I don't always have the right words to say nor am I a veteran but I want you to know that I do care and I hope that you start to heal quickly..and that you can take some comfort in trying to stay hydrated and do the best you can on protein, obviously keeping in touch with your Dr. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

1 hour ago, Darktowerdream said:

Now I use PEScience Protein Powder

Did you recently post about this on another thread? I had read something recently about it and was intrigued which is why I was asking. I think after I focus on recovering from my first...um...egg...I would like to look into this although I'm a big Premier Protein fan for 'myself' so far but am always open.

So sorry about the pneumonia!! Don't worry so much about the Protein, just hydrate!! Make sure you are getting those fluids in!!! Also, "sneak" protein into your body in broths! Buy some Bone Broth (already made) and add in Isopure Unflavored protein powder. Or use the Protein 2O waters, or Premier Protein Clear (fruit punch or orange mango) diluted 50:50 with Water. Vary the temps you drink your Protein Drinks at to maximize how much you can drink and also feel like it's breaking up the mucus in your lungs.

When I have any kind of upper respiratory thing, I have to have lots of warm/hot liquids. You can also add peach and strawberry Premier Proteins to hot tea as a "creamer" and get some protein in that way--even 1-2ounces at a time, it adds up over the day. That way you are never "full" in the tummy area which makes it harder to feel like you get enough air.

Heal quickly!!

On 08/13/2019 at 07:27, FluffyChix said:

So sorry about the pneumonia!! Don't worry so much about the Protein, just hydrate!! Make sure you are getting those fluids in!!! Also, "sneak" Protein into your body in broths! Buy some Bone Broth (already made) and add in Isopure Unflavored Protein Powder. Or use the Protein 2O waters, or Premier Protein Clear (fruit punch or orange mango) diluted 50:50 with Water. Vary the temps you drink your Protein Drinks at to maximize how much you can drink and also feel like it's breaking up the mucus in your lungs.

When I have any kind of upper respiratory thing, I have to have lots of warm/hot liquids. You can also add peach and strawberry Premier Proteins to hot tea as a "creamer" and get some protein in that way--even 1-2ounces at a time, it adds up over the day. That way you are never "full" in the tummy area which makes it harder to feel like you get enough air.

Heal quickly!!

Good advice!!

7 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

Did you recently post about this on another thread? I had read something recently about it and was intrigued which is why I was asking. I think after I focus on recovering from my first...um...egg...I would like to look into this although I'm a big Premier Protein fan for 'myself' so far but am always open.

Yes i have posted about PEScience before. I like the blend of Protein and it’s been easier for me to tolerate. Plus they put a lot of effort into not just the science of the protein blend they use but in getting the flavors right and tasting good.

My nutritionist had recommended premier but I didn’t try it for two reasons, one it’s a milk protein concentrate and why protein concentrate (PEScience is a blend of whey protein isolate and casein) second it has added iodine and I’m allergic ... it does have 30 grams of protein in. RTD but I get 30 grams if I mix it with 6 ounces of ripple milk.

This is their web site.

https://pescience.com/

I haven’t ordered it directly from them yet. I buy it on vitacost.com. I’ve been shopping there for years. And I get coupons. I did end up buying some organic unsweetened edensoy soy milk in my recent order. 12 grams of protein for 8 ounces. I’m going to try mixing 4 ounces plus Water in my shake. (It’s shelf stable packaging) just so I know I can have backups.

I just got a new flavor white chocolate mint. They have Cookies and cream at a really good price. That’s actually a good flavor. I’ve also got a big thing of Peanut Butter cookie. One tip is to mix it and put it in the fridge around 30 minutes and mix again and it thickens it and blends in any lumps. Sorry, you’d think I worked for the company.

If you want an RTD as well I recommend labrada lean body salted caramel,

and sometimes I like a plant based option, I like Koia Cinnamon horchata for that.

I cant even discuss my attempt at purée :( I have a protein drink for Breakfast every morning to at least get that 30 grams of protein.

Pneumonia is just so draining. I had it once and was exhausted for 6 full weeks. Don't worry too much about your Protein while recovering but be sure to stay hydrated and sip, sip, sip all day long.

4 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I haven’t ordered it directly from them yet. I buy it on vitacost.com.

I love vitacost! I used to use them ALL the time and have fallen out of the habit! Thanks for the reminder!

Sorry jennj, don't mean to 'thread highjack'. Let us know how you are doing today. I was thinking of you just a little while ago before I came to your topic to check the replies.

Hugs to you!

3 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

I love vitacost! I used to use them ALL the time and have fallen out of the habit! Thanks for the reminder!

Sorry jennj, don't mean to 'thread highjack'. Let us know how you are doing today. I was thinking of you just a little while ago before I came to your topic to check the replies.

Hugs to you!

I get my gummy vitamins from vitacost, they usually have extra percent off coupons on different brands. The prices are reasonable and it helped me find a multi without added iodine. I put items in my cart and usually they end up sending me an email with a nice coupon incentive to place my order. It helps.

17 hours ago, jennj said:

I have had pneumonia for a week and I am struggling to get even 50 gr of Protein in a day. I have no appetite and just can’t eat. I think I’m on the downhill slide, but I’m hoping I haven’t gone too long without enough Protein.

I think someone else also mentioned Bone Broth, make sure it’s a good sipping broth. A brand called kettle & fire actually makes a bone broth Soup. Something with ginger and turmeric is helpful.

A little bit of caffeine can help with pneumonia symptoms. So can peppermint tea or look for a tea called breathe easy (a medicinal tea) all you can really do is sip warm liquids, and get plenty of rest.

It takes time.

not even a few hours home after surgery i had shortness of breath and had to stay in the hospital for a few days .. i had developed aspiration pneumonia from the surgery..