Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you able to get Water in? At any temperature? Vary the temps. Can you get popsicles and ice chips in?

It honestly sounds like your pouch is irritated and it may be complicated by dehydration. Dehydration makes you feel nausea especially after eating and makes things "sticky".

So it sounds like you need to thin out your Protein Drinks. If possible, thin it out with FF Fairlife Milk, or decaff coffee or decaff warm tea. The peaches and cream and strawberries in cream are great in tea. The bananas and cream and chocolate are great in coffee. I also used the Premier Protein Clear flavors and made popsicles.

But I honestly would not worry for the next couple of days about Protein or advancing your diet. Worry about the hydration. If you're feeling hungry, drink more fluids! Do not advance your diet until you can readily take in 1-2oz of Protein Drink without feeling that tightness.

But you MUST get your water in. If you are not doing that, then it's a trip to the ER for IV fluids and a call to your surgeon. It's possible you have a stricture--those usually occur anywhere from 3-12 weeks out in general if it's gonna happen as a result of the immediate surgical healing.

Feel better soon! So sorry you're struggling!

what fluffy said- the egg probably was just enough to make you feel sick (eggs are HARD for a lot of people - I didn't eat scrambled for at least 3 months because they make me sick)- egg salad is okay but still not a lot. And I also threw up a lot in the beginning- still occasionally and I have really good restriction and not a lot of hunger most days. Just drink Water and let your pouch rest for a few days :) best of luck!

I find soft boiled egg a little easier to tolerate than scrambled egg. Not quite soft boiled enough to eat with a spoon but soft enough to be easy to chew to purée consistency. (Kind of like how they make the egg for ramen) I slice in half and put a bit of sir Kensington’s mayo on top.

i have crazy restrictions due to stricture. Hernia and Schatzki ring. And dysphasia.

I sometimes wonder if the restrictive feeling or feeling sick after small amounts has more to do with an intolerance or allergy response. Ie. I tried to drink a shake with iodine. I barely had a few sips while doing laundry and ended up so sick I couldn’t finish my task. I’m a allergic to iodine l I shouldn’t have eggs either but they are a good soft Protein source.

you got a lot of good advice. If the problem persists mention it to your surgeon.

9 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was quite close to going to the ER a couple times from that awful feeling. Somehow I managed to get past it but try as I am I can't seem to prevent it entirely. Water even gives me that "rock in my gut/chest" pain sometimes.

YES!! I have had that happen with just Water which has left me mystified as I wasn't chugging the water. I still use my 1oz and 2 oz disposable cups quite often. I went to Sam's Club with daughter hoping if I walked some the egg or whatever might ease. This was also a few hrs after the incident and the agony had dulled to an ache/uncomfortable feeling.

When we got ready to leave, I got clammy and knew I had to sit down ASAP or else. I feel this was due to sheer lack of calories and pushing it for too long (walking for way more time than I'm used to). We chose Sam's to 'walk in' because heat index was 110 yesterday.

I had a water bottle with me and tried to just take in enough to 'wet my mouth' which was incredibly dry but when I swallowed the water the agony started coming back. Later I ended up getting crushed ice to chew to help my dry and very very thirsty body out.

All sounds normal to me. At 9.5 months out I am just now not feeling much restriction. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Edited by mousecat88

I think this is normal to all of us. chicken and pork used to bother me . If I ate two fast I would get the foamies and throw up.and now five years out I still need to chew pork or chicken really well or it will upset my stomach.

I don’t have much discomfort from egg but drier Protein like grilled chicken or nuts make me feel uncomfortable very fast if I’m not careful. I’m in month 3 and starting to get better about knowing how much is enough but sometimes I still have to think about it.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:54 AM, FluffyChix said:

Are you able to get Water in? At any temperature? Vary the temps. Can you get popsicles and ice chips in?

It honestly sounds like your pouch is irritated and it may be complicated by dehydration. Dehydration makes you feel nausea especially after eating and makes things "sticky".

So it sounds like you need to thin out your Protein Drinks. If possible, thin it out with FF Fairlife Milk, or decaff coffee or decaff warm tea. The peaches and cream and strawberries in cream are great in tea. The bananas and cream and chocolate are great in coffee. I also used the Premier Protein Clear flavors and made popsicles.

But I honestly would not worry for the next couple of days about Protein or advancing your diet. Worry about the hydration. If you're feeling hungry, drink more fluids! Do not advance your diet until you can readily take in 1-2oz of Protein Drink without feeling that tightness.

But you MUST get your Water in. If you are not doing that, then it's a trip to the ER for IV fluids and a call to your surgeon. It's possible you have a stricture--those usually occur anywhere from 3-12 weeks out in general if it's gonna happen as a result of the immediate surgical healing.

Feel better soon! So sorry you're struggling!

Fluffychix, thank you so much. You had many very good ideas. I had a very rough night last night dry heaving and alternating between Constipation and diarrhea. I emailed my my doctor. I was literally almost fetal position last night.

Got admitted tonight and they are doing scans in morning. I just would love an answer. I did tell dr. that I think I'm going to need a longer time/more careful transition to purees/soft foods. My surgeon did agree that the extreme restriction response as well as some of the other things are not just a 'good thing'...he said they are definitely 'off'. Discomfort from barely/hardly pushing your restriction (it is still a question that I pushed it at all) should not last hours upon hours and then prevent you from drinking less than 1 oz of water.

Going to follow many of your suggestions when I get out of here.

again , thank you so very very much

8 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

Fluffychix, thank you so much. You had many very good ideas. I had a very rough night last night dry heaving and alternating between Constipation and diarrhea. I emailed my my doctor. I was literally almost fetal position last night.

Got admitted tonight and they are doing scans in morning. I just would love an answer. I did tell dr. that I think I'm going to need a longer time/more careful transition to purees/soft foods. My surgeon did agree that the extreme restriction response as well as some of the other things are not just a 'good thing'...he said they are definitely 'off'. Discomfort from barely/hardly pushing your restriction (it is still a question that I pushed it at all) should not last hours upon hours and then prevent you from drinking less than 1 oz of Water.

Going to follow many of your suggestions when I get out of here.

again , thank you so very very much

So sorry. At 3 1/2 weeks (I think it was about that)...I had that same issue. Suddenly started projectile vomiting and dry heaving...couldn't keep water down. Went to the ER. Got fluids and spasm meds for my bowels. So. Much. Pain. They did a CT scan and barium swallow and drumroll please...Turns out I was full of poo. :blush::51_scream: After a MASSIVE cleanout on the #2 tracks with MOM, everything returned to normal.

As embarrassing as that might be, I truly hope that's what is going on with you and they get it figured out soon! Glad your doc is on board and taking you seriously!!

On 8/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, KarenLR75 said:

YES!! I have had that happen with just Water which has left me mystified as I wasn't chugging the Water. I still use my 1oz and 2 oz disposable cups quite often. I went to Sam's Club with daughter hoping if I walked some the egg or whatever might ease. This was also a few hrs after the incident and the agony had dulled to an ache/uncomfortable feeling.

When we got ready to leave, I got clammy and knew I had to sit down ASAP or else. I feel this was due to sheer lack of calories and pushing it for too long (walking for way more time than I'm used to). We chose Sam's to 'walk in' because heat index was 110 yesterday.

I had a water bottle with me and tried to just take in enough to 'wet my mouth' which was incredibly dry but when I swallowed the water the agony started coming back. Later I ended up getting crushed ice to chew to help my dry and very very thirsty body out.

I did end up going to the er when the feeling just wouldn't go away and my surgeon thinks it may be my gallbladder.