Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I got approval from dr. today to have 1 scrambled egg today and basically start pureed stage tomorrow (couple of days early).

I scrambled it in olive oil spray and ate it as slowly as I ever ate anything...carefully chewing it to bits. My stomach was still growling (true hunger growling) but I figured the egg would settle in and that would be that. Instead about 15 mins..maybe 10..after the last bite, I felt the restriction kick in like I had just inhaled an entire Protein Shake.

I have never felt the restriction discomfort as I've been on full liquids and have been very cautious..but I felt it last week badly..and it was when I stupidly made one of my Protein Shakes into more of a 'pudding' which I should not have done. My dr. did not say 'full liquids' AND puddings...he said full liquids, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles. I didn't even finish the entire 'pudding/shake' as it hit me suddenly I was FULL...MORE THAN FULL...OH MY GOSH IT FEELS LIKE A NOOSE AROUND MY POUCH FULL.

Ended up throwing up. Was miserable...and what a lesson learned. Well, I tried to be uber careful with the egg as 'pudding-gate' is firmly entrenched in my mind. After 15 mins of eating I had that awful feeling again..not even a SUGGESTION that I'm getting 'full'..just hard core full out stop.

Now it's been...4+ hrs since then and all I can still feel is that restricted feeling. Even drinking Water makes my stomach hurt..is this normal? This is part of how I got so dehydrated last week. I am not even looking forward to pureed items right now as the restricted feeling has lasted afternoon into evening...I had an upper GI scan last week and no leaks observed, etc. Do some ppl have particularly 'tight restrictions'? Does that even make sense or is this normal and I should have stopped @ half an egg?

a lot of people have trouble with eggs at first (I didn't, but I know it's pretty common). Just try again in a few weeks.

I tried about 40 mins ago as stomach continued growling...and by now it had been another hr or 2..to sip 1 oz of Premier Protein banana Cream shake which I have not had any issues with. I was doing a jigsaw puzzle with my husband so while I did not 'sip, sip, sip' the 1 oz, I did 'sip' it. Lord, I think y'all are the only ppl who can even make sense of what I'm trying to say.

Well, I never anticipated that 1 oz would be a problem but as I was pouring out another measured ounce to drink in about 15 minutes, I could feel my pouch rejecting the 1 oz..well, first came that hard core restricted feeling and then..it felt like the Protein Shake wanted to come back up. Kept trying to focus on the puzzle pieces and doing deep breathing exercises.

I know this sounds weird, but do pouches spasm? I actually have a high tolerance to 'pain' in general. I have found since I tore my knee up, I do NOT do as well with chronic pain. Tonight after I drank that 1 oz of Protein shake, the restriction or whatever it was that I was feeling, brought tears to my eyes.

I have only at one time almost begged for painkillers and it was not through 2 very difficult labor and deliveries, the 2nd of which was 36 hrs and at hour 25, I finally asked for an epidural. It was 2 years ago when I was bleeding internally. It hurt more than a gallbladder attack which thankfully has been the ONLY gallbladder attack I've ever had.

Tonight..I came SO close to asking husband to drive me to ER. I went back in my bedroom and let a couple of tears out. I was raised with 3 brothers and my Dad had a saying that was basically "if you are not coughing up a lung, then there's nothing wrong". My Dad indeed did truly love us and show it, but he was a pretty tough guy and he raised kids that all have a high tolerance for pain..or maybe it is just that we learned to push past it?

I'd put the pain tonight on a scale of slightly less than a gallbladder attack. Is this the norm? Should I be taking 1 of my last 3 robaxin's when it hurts like this? I'll be emailing dr' in the morning. I thought I had gotten past "hell week" although honestly, my first week was SO much easier. I was able to take in more liquids than I could the 2nd week.

If this is what everyone deals with, just let me know. I really wish I had been able to make actual new friends before this surgery. I had joined a women's group as I've been dreadfully missing my Mom and my best friend of 20 yrs who passed a couple of yrs before my Mom from brain cancer. You don't just replace relationships like that but God do I feel so very alone right now.

I had that awful tightness, restriction, and sudden fullness pretty regularly for at least 4 months. I had to learn how to eat slowly and stop BEFORE I felt full. I still get it if I eat too much too fast. I used to eat 2 eggs, scrambled with sauteed veggies several times a week. Now the only egg I can tolerate is when it is stirred into hot Soup - like making egg flower soup. I have also been able to mash up a hard boiled egg to make egg salad or tuna salad. That has worked. So strange, because egg is soft, but many people cannot handle them for quite a while.

4 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

I had that awful tightness, restriction, and sudden fullness pretty regularly for at least 4 months. I had to learn how to eat slowly and stop BEFORE I felt full. I still get it if I eat too much too fast. I used to eat 2 eggs, scrambled with sauteed veggies several times a week. Now the only egg I can tolerate is when it is stirred into hot Soup - like making egg flower Soup. I have also been able to mash up a hard boiled egg to make egg salad or tuna salad. That has worked. So strange, because egg is soft, but many people cannot handle them for quite a while.

Did you have bypass

Yes, bypass. It is much better now, but then, I am also relearning how to eat - to slow down and take smaller bites and much smaller portions. It has taken a while for my eyes to catch up with the new tummy. Before surgery, I had no sense of fullness. I could eat and eat and eat and never stop. The surgery has definitely given me the fullness very quickly, but I had to learn what that felt like and how to stop BEFORE feeling full, because if I ate until I was just feeling full, 10 minutes later I would be in agony. I am learning how to eat like a normal person who naturally stops when they've had enough.

Its weird how some people have very little restriction. And then others like you have full restriction from day 1 and for months.

I hope to get the restriction because that will enable me to shed the most weight in the beginning while restricted :)

1 hour ago, AZhiker said:

I had that awful tightness, restriction, and sudden fullness pretty regularly for at least 4 months. I had to learn how to eat slowly and stop BEFORE I felt full. I still get it if I eat too much too fast. I used to eat 2 eggs, scrambled with sauteed veggies several times a week. Now the only egg I can tolerate is when it is stirred into hot Soup - like making egg flower Soup. I have also been able to mash up a hard boiled egg to make egg salad or tuna salad. That has worked. So strange, because egg is soft, but many people cannot handle them for quite a while.

Thank you for sharing @AZHiker. You have been...to me..very kind and responsive. I always am happy to see a post or response from you. When I think about it in hindsight, I wish I had put the egg into 1 oz or 2 oz cups because while mentally I see 1 scrambled egg as a very small meal. I think if I had measured it and it filled up..let's say 2 of the 2 ounce cups...I probably would have done it even slower even though cold eggs just make me...ugh...shudder (unless they are deviled eggs and then yes, please be cold.

Am glad you brought up chicken/tuna salad as I've been thinking I have to nix eggs totally. I guess it will be a trial and error type thing but I see no eggs in my future tomorrow. Maybe um...applesauce or puree peaches or pears. Trying to think of a well known 'as gentle as possible' pureed item to start out on a better foot hopefully. I WAS going to do refried Beans but I think that will have to wait a few day as well?

50 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

I had to learn what that felt like and how to stop BEFORE feeling full, because if I ate until I was just feeling full, 10 minutes later I would be in agony

This! I need 'up arrows' :1365_point_up_2_tone1: ok, i'll settle for an up finger. I did not have a full understanding of just how much pain it could cause..well, not precisely true...where I have read about this much agony is where I thought the OP had eaten way past FULL.

I also did not realize the agony could continue for such a long time. I mean, I had RNY. The upper GI confirmed that 'wow things go thru you really FAST" (said the technician)...but the egg..felt like it lodged in my pouch and spread arms and legs in a "nothing else shall pass" type attitude.

My head was telling me that from a physiology perspective, that egg should not/could not be in the pouch still 4 to 5 to 6 hrs later..so was I just continuing to feel the pain that I inflicted on my pouch??

Since I was not one of the lucky ones who got relief from hunger pains, I am grateful for my restriction and I know it is a temporary blessing but I want to learn to avoid triggering the agony. I need to find a continued way to ensure smaller amounts, yes smaller than what pouch is supposed to hold because if pouch is not happy with 2 ounces, there is no reason to add even another ounce whether my pouch 'should have room or not'

51 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

I hope to get the restriction because that will enable me to shed the most weight in the beginning while restricted

I wish for relief from true hunger pains and that you get the restriction. While you are waiting your 10 week countdown, you can read accounts from other post-op newbies who mess up like me and hopefully you will be a much savvier post-op WLS patient!! :) :)

I totally understand it will be a whole new way of eating & Drinking Water.

Taking your time between each bite and listening to your pouch more closely will take a lot of trial and error.

But yes I've been on this site a year now reading everything I can 👍👍👍

Edited by Mikeyy

5 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

OK, I got approval from dr. today to have 1 scrambled egg today and basically start pureed stage tomorrow (couple of days early).

I scrambled it in olive oil spray and ate it as slowly as I ever ate anything...carefully chewing it to bits. My stomach was still growling (true hunger growling) but I figured the egg would settle in and that would be that. Instead about 15 mins..maybe 10..after the last bite, I felt the restriction kick in like I had just inhaled an entire Protein Shake.

I have never felt the restriction discomfort as I've been on full liquids and have been very cautious..but I felt it last week badly..and it was when I stupidly made one of my Protein Shakes into more of a 'pudding' which I should not have done. My dr. did not say 'full liquids' AND puddings...he said full liquids, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles. I didn't even finish the entire 'pudding/shake' as it hit me suddenly I was FULL...MORE THAN FULL...OH MY GOSH IT FEELS LIKE A NOOSE AROUND MY POUCH FULL.

Ended up throwing up. Was miserable...and what a lesson learned. Well, I tried to be uber careful with the egg as 'pudding-gate' is firmly entrenched in my mind. After 15 mins of eating I had that awful feeling again..not even a SUGGESTION that I'm getting 'full'..just hard core full out stop.

Now it's been...4+ hrs since then and all I can still feel is that restricted feeling. Even drinking Water makes my stomach hurt..is this normal? This is part of how I got so dehydrated last week. I am not even looking forward to pureed items right now as the restricted feeling has lasted afternoon into evening...I had an upper GI scan last week and no leaks observed, etc. Do some ppl have particularly 'tight restrictions'? Does that even make sense or is this normal and I should have stopped @ half an egg?

I've experienced this several times so far. One bite too many and i'm in a world of pain and usually throw up. The only thing i've been able to do is to only take like 2 bites of anything. I never get the full signal until it's too late so I just don't push it. That's the only thing that makes me sometimes regret having the surgery.

3 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

I tried about 40 mins ago as stomach continued growling...and by now it had been another hr or 2..to sip 1 oz of Premier Protein banana Cream shake which I have not had any issues with. I was doing a jigsaw puzzle with my husband so while I did not 'sip, sip, sip' the 1 oz, I did 'sip' it. Lord, I think y'all are the only ppl who can even make sense of what I'm trying to say.

Well, I never anticipated that 1 oz would be a problem but as I was pouring out another measured ounce to drink in about 15 minutes, I could feel my pouch rejecting the 1 oz..well, first came that hard core restricted feeling and then..it felt like the Protein Shake wanted to come back up. Kept trying to focus on the puzzle pieces and doing deep breathing exercises.

I know this sounds weird, but do pouches spasm? I actually have a high tolerance to 'pain' in general. I have found since I tore my knee up, I do NOT do as well with chronic pain. Tonight after I drank that 1 oz of Protein shake, the restriction or whatever it was that I was feeling, brought tears to my eyes.

I have only at one time almost begged for painkillers and it was not through 2 very difficult labor and deliveries, the 2nd of which was 36 hrs and at hour 25, I finally asked for an epidural. It was 2 years ago when I was bleeding internally. It hurt more than a gallbladder attack which thankfully has been the ONLY gallbladder attack I've ever had.

Tonight..I came SO close to asking husband to drive me to ER. I went back in my bedroom and let a couple of tears out. I was raised with 3 brothers and my Dad had a saying that was basically "if you are not coughing up a lung, then there's nothing wrong". My Dad indeed did truly love us and show it, but he was a pretty tough guy and he raised kids that all have a high tolerance for pain..or maybe it is just that we learned to push past it?

I'd put the pain tonight on a scale of slightly less than a gallbladder attack. Is this the norm? Should I be taking 1 of my last 3 robaxin's when it hurts like this? I'll be emailing dr' in the morning. I thought I had gotten past "hell week" although honestly, my first week was SO much easier. I was able to take in more liquids than I could the 2nd week.

If this is what everyone deals with, just let me know. I really wish I had been able to make actual new friends before this surgery. I had joined a women's group as I've been dreadfully missing my Mom and my best friend of 20 yrs who passed a couple of yrs before my Mom from brain cancer. You don't just replace relationships like that but God do I feel so very alone right now.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was quite close to going to the ER a couple times from that awful feeling. Somehow I managed to get past it but try as I am I can't seem to prevent it entirely. Water even gives me that "rock in my gut/chest" pain sometimes.