Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whose goal weight are you using? Your own or your program's?

I've been struggling with the slowest weight loss and longest stall ever in history (being a little dramatic, but still...). I'm not very close to my own chosen goal, and my therapist suggested I compare what my goal is compared to my program's. I dug out my paperwork, and the program's goal for me is 18 pounds heavier.

I see a lot of people here with a similar height to mine that have a goal weight of 50 pounds or more less than mine.

So I'm just curious, where did everyone's listed goal weight come from? Thanks everyone.

My goal weight in my profile came from what my doctor said he thought I could get to. They actually list my "Ideal" weight as 117 lbs but I'm not sure I need to go that low. I need to be 123 to be a "normal" BMI so that is kind of what I'm shooting for. Any weight less than that is a bonus! I see my doctor today and I'll see what he thinks about my goal. I'm now a size 4 petite in pants, XS-S in tops...I ok with that!

Believe it or not, my doctor didn't give me a goal. I set it myself. We discussed it, but ultimately he left it up to me.

My ideal weight is supposed to be 150-155, but I have never been able to maintain that weight. I have old photos of myself at or near that weight and to me, I think I was just a little too thin. So, I set my own goal at 175 which is still in a "normal" BMI range but I thought more reasonable to achieve and maintain.

Weight Watchers said my goal should be 133. I just wanted to get to a "normal, ideal" BMI and to see the scale below 150. In the old days, the balance scales had weights that moved up on the arm every 50 pounds. I did not want to move the weight to the 150 pound mark, so I set my goal at 149. My doc was fine with that. I want to actually go the 145 so I have some wiggle room. That is still perfectly within normal BMI for my height.

I watched a video by a bariatric surgeon describing the total expected weight loss after WLS. Most people do not get to their "ideal" weight, but any significant weight loss still improves the over all health exponentially. He said that on one side of the bell curve are those who stick to the plan faithfully, record their meals, and exercise faithfully. Those are the ones who have the most sustained weight loss over time. On the other side are those who do not exercise and who cheat. They do not lose well and may regain all their their weight. In the middle are those who stay with the plan, but don't exercise, and those who may exercise, but are not real sticklers to the plan. Bottom line - "you get what you pay for", and "There aint so such thing as a free lunch."

Some people will simply lose faster/slower and will lose more/less than others, not matter what they do. But the greatest overall, sustained success will go to those who are totally committed to the lifestyle change, embracing the new way of eating and learning to enjoy the exercise. It's all about reframing the thought process, developing a new relationship with food and how we move our bodies.

Edited by AZhiker

My original goal weight was 180 set by both the surgeon and myself. I made goal my first year and then I set the 170 goal which I have also made and stayed under for the last few months. I have lost approximately 90 + % of my excess weight. I wear a size 10 jeans and med tops and am comfortable where I am, although sometimes part of me says I should get to 155 for the normal BMI. The other part says if I didn't have the extra skin I would be there, sigh.

My own, the doctor has an ideal but I'm the one looking in the mirror daily.. Hope this helps...

31 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Weight Watchers said my goal should be 133. I just wanted to get to a "normal, ideal" BMI and to see the scale below 150. In the old days, the balance scales had weights that moved up on the arm every 50 pounds. I did not want to move the weight to the 150 pound mark, so I set my goal at 149. My doc was fine with that. I want to actually go the 145 so I have some wiggle room. That is still perfectly within normal BMI for my height.

I watched a video by a bariatric surgeon describing the total expected weight loss after WLS. Most people do not get to their "ideal" weight, but any significant weight loss still improves the over all health exponentially. He said that on one side of the bell curve are those who stick to the plan faithfully, record their meals, and exercise faithfully. Those are the ones who have the most sustained weight loss over time. On the other side are those who do not exercise and who cheat. They do not lose well and may regain all their their weight. In the middle are those who stay with the plan, but don't exercise, and those who may exercise, but are not real sticklers to the plan. Bottom line - "you get what you pay for", and "There aint so such thing as a free lunch."

Some people will simply lose faster/slower and will lose more/less than others, not matter what they do. But the greatest overall, sustained success will go to those who are totally committed to the lifestyle change, embracing the new way of eating and learning to enjoy the exercise. It's all about reframing the thought process, developing a new relationship with food and how we move our bodies.

singitmysistah.jpg.4e88a87f4b6077dea3cfd36e2721eb0b.jpg

My signature line contains my goals.

My surgeon's and RD's goals were 160 and 156lbs respectively and are based on a very strict formula used by ASMBS which includes the predicted 65% loss of EBW for RNY surgery.

Goal 1 was mine 150lbs (they were both on board with me cuz it wasn't that far off their goal) = high school weight.

Goal 2 was mine 140lbs (they were skeptically on board but when I hit it wanted me to stop there) = "normal BMI" per chart below...I'm very average and BMI charts are predictive for me and 140lbs is barely within normal for my height.

Goal 3 was mine 130lbs (they think I'm too thin and there is no advantage to being this weight) = smack in the middle of my "normal BMI" per the chart and where I "think" I will finally be happy with the size of my booty and thighs. I'm 4 lbs away today.

Goal BDG is mine 125lbs (don't know if I'm going for this one yet or not...they think it's unrealistic at only 5lbs from "Ideal" per ASMBS. BDG=Barbie Dream Girl Goal=where I think I would be a smokin' 57y hottie. LOL. ;)

heightweightchartwomen.JPG.fc3d29ac39fee444dc8382e5e5bb4c3b.JPG

Edited by FluffyChix

Thanks everybody for your responses. They have been very helpful! And @AZhiker, your post may have hit a little too close to home for comfort. 😔

I think I need to distinguish 2 weights in my mind: the 1) expected results (from program) and 2) my ideal body weight, which I have never seen as an adult. I think I will use the expected weight loss as my first goal, and go from there.

Thanks again all for your responses. They have helped me to formulate a plan.

My surgeon's office didn't set a goal for me. I picked one mid-range on the BMI chart.

My surgeon's office never gave me a goal weight. I am going with 190 though. I'm 5'10", and I've lost 250 pounds at this point, so I have excess skin all over, which adds weight to me.

1 hour ago, Uterno said:

Thanks everybody for your responses. They have been very helpful! And @AZhiker, your post may have hit a little too close to home for comfort. 😔

I think I need to distinguish 2 weights in my mind: the 1) expected results (from program) and 2) my ideal body weight, which I have never seen as an adult. I think I will use the expected weight loss as my first goal, and go from there.

Thanks again all for your responses. They have helped me to formulate a plan.

Most of us have never and may never see our "ideal" body weight as defined by the ASMBS/Insurance Chart and that's because it's an archaic formula based on 1950's weight people. So it's pretty unrealistic for most of us, but nevertheless, it's the formula used by ASMBS certified doctors (COE docs) the world over.

Here's how it's figured for a woman:

100lbs for the first 5 feet of height + 5lbs for every inch over 5 feet.

Sample: 5'4" woman would have an "Ideal" weight of 100 + (4x5) = 120lbs

I'm 5'4" and very average but have some extra skin. But at 120lbs I think I would look pretty damn skinny.

But you may be saying "ideal" as in your "BDG" = Barbie Dream Girl weight? Which is anything you dream it to be...but that may be how YOUR goal will be determined, it just isn't the way your doc or RD determines your target goal or the projected % EBW loss (excess body weight loss).

I used my Surgeon's goal which was BMI 28. It felt achievable amd sustainable for me: I'm not battling the scale or food choices & have greater flexibility in that range.

2 hours ago, AZhiker said:

In the middle are those who stay with the plan, but don't exercise, and those who may exercise, but are not real sticklers to the plan.

I am firmly in the middle 😍