Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When could you tolerate salad?!

I am dyinggg for a salad but last time(a couple weeks ago) I tried to put just a little bit of lettuce on my turkey wrap I got so nauseous and felt gross. That’s the only thing so far(crossing my fingers) that my new little stomach has really disagreed with. I’m nervous to try again. I’m just over 2 months post op.

I am 6 months out and just now able to eat a salad without discomfort. It is the rough texture that is the issue. And it sure takes a LOT of chewing! I was craving salads and veggies early on, as well. I got bunches of greens and blended them up with Water. I then strained out the dark green water and used that in my smoothies, Soups, drink water and anything else I was eating. I think it gave me a lot of good Vitamins and phytonutrients and made me feel like I was getting my salad and greens, but without the roughage that was so irritating.

I was able to eat vegetables at 2 mos post op but lettuce wasn't great for a bit. Now I still eat around the lettuce sometimes but I can tolerate it most days. Try one vegetable at a time ...peppers, cucumbers, etc - good luck

Since I was allowed real food at approx week 4. Raw carrots and celery are great

it's been awhile - but maybe at around six months out (??). I still have days when raw vegetables irritate my stomach, though (not always - but occasionally)

I think the first time I really tried a salad was around 4 or 5 months? I recall that I avoided raw veggies, including lettuce, for months. While my sleeve didn't reject it, I was concerned that it would take up too much bulk in my sleeve and prevent me from eating my Protein. I was surprised, but I didn't crave them (I have in the past). Even now I don't eat a lot of salad, although I don't avoid like I used to.

Good luck! It gets better. just a thought: maybe you didn't chew well enough?

I've been afraid to try it. I just "know" my body won't like it. So far at 8 months post-op I still get the foamies if I eat any kind of bread, soft tortilla, or steak.

I'm 6 weeks out and went to Olive Garden last week. I had Soup and three bites of just lettuce with dressing and had no problems. So now between meals, I have a lettuce and English cucumber (seedless) salad. Well-chewed, of course.

I'm 15 months out and frankly I get my fruits/veggies from juice Plus capsules that I empty in my daily plant based Protein Shake. Note: I don't sell the products and this isn't a product endorsement...just what works for me.

My only other fruit source is one banana per day in my shake and an occasional 2-4 ounce glass of OJ.

Although I very much miss a nice salad and veggie sides, it doesn't usually end well. On the other hand, I can do celery sticks with Peanut Butter or one or two cooked or raw baby carrots every once in a while.

Before there is any blow back about the fruit/veggie sitch, my bloodwork (every 2-3 months...forever...) is phenomenal...even the trace minerals.

I was able to add fresh fruits and veggies 6 weeks post-op. No issues with salad except limited capacity. I still try to eat the Protein first, or most of it, almost a year post op.

I'm three months out and have had no problems with lettuce but apparently because I've had my gall bladder removed, I can't process fats well and get sick from the Salad Dressing. salad without any dressing? Ugh. So for now I have to give it up unless and until I can tolerate dressing again.

Edited by Prestonandme

4 months out! salad is one of my favorite things. I counted the days until I could have one. It was about 4 months out and I chewed really, really well. I have had no problems. In fact. a huge salad is one of the few things I can eat in volume. It freaks me out how much salad or veggies I can eat in a sitting but I pretty much chew to the point of liquifying it so I get to really enjoy a lot of bites. I eat my salad first before my Protein because it takes up no space. Now I use feta cheese, greek olives, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and chickpeas on a nice bed of lettuce for a daily salad. I add chicken, shrimp or tri-tip for protein. I change up dressings to change the flavors but salad is one of my favorite meals now and one where I can enjoy quite a bit of it.

I tired salad last week. Maybe a half cut of lettuce cut up into small pieces. It went ok so I will try it at home a few more times before I try it out and about. I am trying to get more Vitamin dense veggies but have restriction still so I started sautéing a cup of spinach that cooks down into nothing then adding an egg to scramble together. I can get the egg and spinach eaten in about 20-30 minutes.

I’m 4 months out and just tried salad again tonight because I was craving it... all of it came up. Salads are the one thing I loved pre-surgery.. now I can’t even have a few bites without getting nauseous.