Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dirty dark sleeve secrets :P Confessional

How many of you have done one or more of the following? Not that I want to share or promote any bad habits, I just want to know that it will be okay if we don't live our lives like a schedule making sure we do everything to the dot each and every single day for the rest of our lives. Sometimes things come up, or we fall off track for short periods of time, but that it will be okay if it occurs sometimes accidentally....any thoughts?

For example

Skipped taking Vitamins everyday because they forgot etc...

Drank while eating a meal

Took an NSAID here or there for a particular reason

Didn't get in their daily Protein intake

Ate out for most of their meals

I keep hearing about people that have serious side effects because they didn’t take their Vitamins so if you are planning on skipping them and are looking for validation to do that stop 🛑 Now.

You can drink when you eat if you want. It has different results. For some it will cause discomfort, for some it will cause dumping and for others it will slow down or stop their weight loss.

If you need to take NSAIDS occasionally it isn’t a train smash, you should make sure though that you also take nexium or Somac or other antireflux meds whilst taking them to protect your stomach.

Not getting enough Protein on 1 day isn’t a big thing, not getting enough regularly will cause muscle loss probably make you more hungry and may slow your weight loss.

If you don’t know how to cook and can afford to eat out for all your meals that’s fine. Just make sure you make healthy choices. Going to rib and burger joints every day probably isn’t a good idea.

2 hours ago, AchieveGoals said:

How many of you have done one or more of the following? Not that I want to share or promote any bad habits, I just want to know that it will be okay if we don't live our lives like a schedule making sure we do everything to the dot each and every single day for the rest of our lives. Sometimes things come up, or we fall off track for short periods of time, but that it will be okay if it occurs sometimes accidentally....any thoughts?

For example

Skipped taking Vitamins everyday because they forgot etc...

Drank while eating a meal

Took an NSAID here or there for a particular reason

Didn't get in their daily Protein intake

Ate out for most of their meals

You and I are only 2 weeks a part surgery wise.

I have skipped my Vitamins and it is not as big an issue for us VSG, but we do need them especially early on.

I cannot drink with meals because it hurts and sometimes I have to wait more then an hour because of the pressure.

I have a prescription from my bariatric team for 800 mg ibuprofen. VSG here are allowed NSAID.

Some days on vacation I have not gotten all my Protein

I have on vacation ate out quite a bit but do try to make the best choices.

19 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

I have skipped my Vitamins and it is not as big an issue for us VSG, but we do need them especially early on.

Not as big an issue unless you happen to be the unlucky person for whom it is an issue. A sleever in 1 of my fb groups has a serious eye condition due to a lack of vit B due to not taking her Vitamins. It really is an issue and it’s not something people should mess around with. If your Dr says you need to take them then generally there is a good reason for it.

Just giving honest answer to an honest question and I don't promote going against Vitamins.< span class="ipsEmoji">😉

There has only been one day since my surgery over four years ago that I haven't gotten all my Protein in.

I take Vitamins two or three times throughout the day. I'm sure there's been a time or two when I've forgotten at some point during the day to take the vitamins I was supposed to take at that time, but the whole day? No.

those other things you mentioned - no. I'm really disciplined with myself because I want to continue being healthy and successful.

I'm not perfect. But rules exist for a reason. And sometimes you won't see the reason or experience it for years down the road. So don't be the guinea pig that either proves or disproves the rules. Follow them as closely to 100% as possible and all "should" be well in your world.

I've rarely met the 64 oz Water goal. I'll be one year post op on the 15th and have lost over 100 lbs, pretty much at my goal weight now.

No, I haven't done most of those. I won't take NSAIDS because I fear they'll hurt my stomach. I know better than to drink with my meals. I've had no trouble getting in my daily Protein. I've never skipped a Vitamin. I do eat out though, but I make healthy choices and order healthy food options.

If you are talking about an occasional lapse, then it's not a big deal; if you are talking about establishing habits in these directions, then it is a big deal, as good habits are the key to long term success in this game. Vitamins and Protein are a game of averages - one missed or low day doesn't make a real impact as the loss is made up before and after. Missed doses of some pharmaceuticals can be a much bigger deal. But, life happens - sometimes I don't notice that I didn't take my evening pills until the next day when I look in the box and see that I missed it (usually because we went out to eat that night and habits got disrupted.) Get back on the horse and forget the minor slip up.

NSAIDs are more of an RNY thing than a VSG thing (indeed, one of the selling points of the duodenal switch - a sleeve plus malabsorption - is that it is NSAID tolerant.) Again, habitual or consistent use might be a problem and you should consult your surgeon on that.

Eating out regularly is difficult on anyone trying to control their weight, WLS or not, as cost and taste are the priorities over calories and metabolic impact. Restaurant fare is often double the calories of comparable home prepared meals. As with vitamins and protein, it is a game of averages, so an occasional meal out gets lost in the noise of everyday life, but it is the average, it is a bigger problem. One has to be much more diligent in what one orders if is an everyday thing.

My biggest issue continues to be getting the Protein in. I never was a big meat eater, so I'm relying on other forms of protein. eggs things like that. Even post surgery I get nauseous looking at a protein drink🤐!

I drank one time with a meal, it was awful! I won't go in to all that happened! Needless to say haven't, done that again!

I have forgotten the Vitamins at times. Now I keep them in my purse, lunch bag etc. I rarely eat out anymore. The portions are too big. I can't believe I even said that! Presurgery I would have eaten everything on the plate!!

I don't get the post?

are you promoting breaking the rules or justifying cheating?

Please be positive. The rules are important because your honeymoon period will fly by very quickly!

3 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

. The rules are important because your honeymoon period will fly by very quickly!

So true.

15 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

I don't get the post?

are you promoting breaking the rules or justifying cheating?

Please be positive. The rules are important because your honeymoon period will fly by very quickly!

Please be smart, and read my post again. Nobody is doing what you are accusing. I am not promoting not being positive. Life gets in the way, and sometimes either by accident or by forgetting or any other excuse, one of the following things that I have mentioned might occur, and I wanted to know if it won't cause major damage/hazard to our lives. Of course getting on track after falling and maintaining the healthy habits is crucial to life after surgery.

4 minutes ago, AchieveGoals said:

Please be smart, and read my post again. Nobody is doing what you are accusing. I am not promoting not being positive. Life gets in the way, and sometimes either by accident or by forgetting or any other excuse, one of the following things that I have mentioned might occur, and I wanted to know if it won't cause major damage/hazard to our lives. Of course getting on track after falling and maintaining the healthy habits is crucial to life after surgery.

This is not how the post comes across, even the way the title reads.

It comes across as someone looking for justification to break the rules even if this was not your intention.

None of us are perfect, we have all done the wrong thing occasionally.