Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubting my decision

I’m still very early in my Gastric Bypass process. I was so excited, then I visited my friend today in the hospital. She just had gastric sleeve done July 5, she had a leak and was sent home anyway. A week or so later she started feeling very sick, running a fever and having shortness of breath. She was taken to the hospital where she found out she was in septic shock. 2 stents and 2 drains later and almost dying she is on tube feeds for the next 8-12 weeks but slowly recovering. Now I’m second guessing myself about my decision to have the gastric bypass surgery done. I’m not posting this to scare any other new comers, I’m just genuinely freaking out and looking for some advice. Any and all advise is much appreciated 😊

Hi. Complications like a leak are not common. Both the bypass and sleeve have that as a remote possibility, but it doesn't happen very often. On the other hand, the complications that come with being morbidly obese are much more common!! Don't let your friend's experience cloud your judgment. I had gastric bypass 4.5 months ago and am off all diabetes meds, almost off blood pressure meds, no longer have constant body pain, and am healthier and happier. Have a positive attitude going into this, pick your surgeon well, and it is more likely than not that you won't have major complications! Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

What Briswife says is correct. You have more chance of a serious side effect from being obese than from the surgery

I’m still very early in my Gastric Bypass process. I was so excited, then I visited my friend today in the hospital. She just had gastric sleeve done July 5, she had a leak and was sent home anyway. A week or so later she started feeling very sick, running a fever and having shortness of breath. She was taken to the hospital where she found out she was in septic shock. 2 stents and 2 drains later and almost dying she is on tube feeds for the next 8-12 weeks but slowly recovering. Now I’m second guessing myself about my decision to have the gastric bypass surgery done. I’m not posting this to scare any other new comers, I’m just genuinely freaking out and looking for some advice. Any and all advise is much appreciated [emoji4]
Hey sassylady1.
I had the gastric sleeve surgery on the 15th of July. My operation was done in cairo Egypt by one of the best Doctors. Its been almost a month now and i feel amazing. The fist two weeks was so bad and so hard but when you start seeing actual results its amazing i have lost 12kg in only 3 weeks. Yes there are risks but i was one of the lucky ones that had no problems. What mainly set my mind to rest was the doctor who did my surgery. I would highly recommend him to anyone. His work is absolutely flawless.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, Sassylady1 said:

I’m still very early in my Gastric Bypass process. I was so excited, then I visited my friend today in the hospital. She just had gastric sleeve done July 5, she had a leak and was sent home anyway. A week or so later she started feeling very sick, running a fever and having shortness of breath. She was taken to the hospital where she found out she was in septic shock. 2 stents and 2 drains later and almost dying she is on tube feeds for the next 8-12 weeks but slowly recovering. Now I’m second guessing myself about my decision to have the gastric bypass surgery done. I’m not posting this to scare any other new comers, I’m just genuinely freaking out and looking for some advice. Any and all advise is much appreciated 😊

Complications are terrible and sorry your friend is going through it

But

Your friend's surgical situation has nothing to do with yours especially If you are not experiencing complications.

Consider that if you take on an emotional burden due to her complications, you may forget to enjoy your own progress of which you are entitled.

That doesn't make you any less of a friend 💜

I agree with everyone else. That kind of thing is really rare. The vast majority of us have no...or very minor (like a stricture - easily fixable) complications.

((hugs)) Try to move past this and know that as everyone said, this is really a very safe surgery in general. But with all surgeries, complications do happen. I think they are only about 1-3%--about the same as laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. Don't let fear rule.

Complications can happen, but they are the minority and exception and not the rule. So sorry for what your friend is going through.

I understand where you are coming from SassyLady, but Briswife15 is right - the complications of NOT having the surgery can be worse and almost a certainty.

My surgery is about a month away and I keep going back and forth from excited to nervous and share some of the same concerns.

Think about all the benefits of this surgery :)

so many times on 600lb life they would talk about risk of dying in surgery but they are already dying/killing themselves without surgery..

Have surgery and potential to have a better life or don't do surgery and die young...

Thank you Mikeyy, your response is so true!! I feel that I will still go through with the surgery, it just really got me so messed up seeing my friend in the hospital with such serious complications! I appreciate more than any of my words could ever express, the encouragement from all of you 😊