Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best exercise routines -100+ lbs weight loss?

Hey to all my BariatricPals who have lost 100 lbs or more what exercise routines worked best for you? I’m 10 weeks post gastric sleeve and my goal is to lose 160 pounds! My surgeon said I’m going to have to work hard to lose this much weight. So I just joined my local YMCA and have started taking Water exercise classes and Zumba. Of course I was told that walking is good. I’m just curious about the “secrets” of the success of those of you who have already lost 100 pounds…

I almost count, I have 3 more pounds to hit the century mark. Your surgery date is really close to mine. I'm curious to what you're doing now and how much progress you've made.

I started by making sure all my calories were nutritious ones, so far, and I haven't had anything close to a complex carb since pre-surgery, to the point that I'm picking croutons off of pre-fab salads. I also have not had much in the way of processed foods. I'm fortunate enough to know how to cook pretty well, so I can avoid them pretty much all the time.

For your question about exercise, I really kicked it up about 3 weeks ago when I noticed that my weight loss due to restriction started slowing down. I have been on the elliptical every night for at least 30 or 40 minutes and every 2nd or 3rd day I use a home gym (Boxflex) for 30 minutes to start making sure my muscle mass stays in place while I drop fat. It seems to be working for me as long as I don't miss a day.

Good luck to you.

Hiya, I hit the 100 lbs loss mark at about 6½ months post op (that's including the 11lbs loss during my 2 week pre-op diet).

At 9½ post op now, and am down about 120 (been in attempted maintenance since 7 months post op)

Here is what I did/do exercise wise:
(click to enlarge)

Long story short: Exercise helps. Alot.

image.thumb.png.25d6bed597a5ec239ea2e516e70950f4.png

Edited by ms.sss

I had (and still have) arthritis, so anything high impact like Zumba would have been out of the question for me when I was over 300 lbs. I mostly did water-based activities for cardio (swimming, Water aerobics, Aqua Zumba) - and walking. I also took gentle yoga classes (I could do some of the poses, but not all), and occasionally used the strength-training machines (I hate those, but I forced myself to do it sometimes)

just so you know, they say 80% of weight loss is due to diet and only 20% to exercise. Both are important, of course, but be sure you're paying a lot of attention to your food intake, since that will have a greater effect on your loss.

I've lost about 150-155lbs throughout this process. All I've done is walk and do sporadic core strengthening exercise. I think exercise and movement is crucial! But diet drives the weight loss bus. 80% of loss comes from diet. Weight loss begins in the kitchen (or farm) and allows you the energy to get physical. Exercise drives the condition of your body and mind (and spirit). But that's beyond the food choices.

3 hours ago, Butterfly#7 said:

Hey to all my BariatricPals who have lost 100 lbs or more what exercise routines worked best for you? I’m 10 weeks post gastric sleeve and my goal is to lose 160 pounds! My surgeon said I’m going to have to work hard to lose this much weight. So I just joined my local YMCA and have started taking Water exercise classes and Zumba. Of course I was told that walking is good. I’m just curious about the “secrets” of the success of those of you who have already lost 100 pounds…

Congrats on your gym membership. There is no secret to bariatric weight loss – Work your plan.

The best exercise is the activity you do consistently. Find something you enjoy. Each of us have a starting fitness level. (I was lucky to walk a half hour starting out) start slow and build up. Increase your pace, intensity, or resistance as you get stronger.

My experience: Sleeve 2014, age 45 lost over 100lbs in six months (not the norm) I would have been happy if it took me a year or more.

I was a true couch potato. I was not thrilled about exercise. My surgeon made his patients sign that they will add an hour of activity 5 to 6 days a week (mostly walking) I started walking and built up. My goal was to do a 5K for cancer in memory of my Mother. (she never got to see me fit and healthy)

Third month My weight stalled. I sold my treadmill and got a gym membership. Best decision ever. I mixed up different types of cardio. I ventured into the weight room. Muscle has helped fill out some loose skin.😉

Be open to where fitness may take you. I went from an obese couch potato to distance running (10K half and full marathon) hiking, kayaking, bicycling. Never take your health for granted.

59 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Muscle has helped fill out some loose skin.

^^^ This.

I didn't actually believe that this was a thing, but it totally is. Just one month of 10-15 mins of arm exercises every day during the July challenge, and there is a noticeable diff in the amount of arm sag showing. Suffice it to say, I am still doing the exercises, and added butt and ab ones into the mix.

The other posters above are right though: that weight loss is much, much more affected by food intake than exercise. The exercise and building muscle does help though, plus it makes you heart healthy AND FIRM (lol).

Exercise will definitely help tone up loose skin and cardio is great for weight loss :)

I’m a giant believer in interval training. If you need the exact times let me know but it’s helped me incredibly. I’m 10 months post op and going to do my first 5km in a month!

8 hours ago, Snapcase- said:

I’m a giant believer in interval training. If you need the exact times let me know but it’s helped me incredibly. I’m 10 months post op and going to do my first 5km in a month!

What exactly are you doing and what times?

33 minutes ago, ARMoma45 said:

What exactly are you doing and what times?

Hi ARMoma!

Sending it to you via message ;)

mike

Thank you :)

I picked up a series of Richard Simpsons videos when I had my VBG in 1998. I switched them around and did one everyday along with walking 2 miles a day. I wasn't too far out from my surgery when I started.

My PCP actually stopped my gym time and said to just concentrate on getting my steps. I've not been able to consume more than 200-300 calories a day and was burning more than that in the gym daily. Since i've stopped doing weights my weight loss has really picked up speed. I'm hoping to add the gym back in a couple days a week probably after this week.

BTW, I can't get more calories because I have a bad gallbladder and need to get it out ASAP.