Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve after 50 (Senior Sleevers)

Hello friends! I’m 52 and just had the sleeve on 7/29/19. What other options are there instead of Protein Shakes?

On the liquid diet?

My weight center (MGH) allows broth, 1% or skim milk, Tomato Soup (no chunks), and low/no sugar high Protein greek yogurts. And of course clear liquid options like sf popsicles and Jello. But from what I see, diets tend to vary, so definitely refer to what your doctor gave you!

6 minutes ago, Sharlanay said:

Hello friends! I’m 52 and just had the sleeve on 7/29/19. What other options are there instead of Protein Shakes?

I'd like to know as well. Surgery scheduled for 8/29. Thanks all!!

I'm 50, five years out and maintaining.

50 minutes ago, Sharlanay said:

43 minutes ago, Ava R said:

I'd like to know as well. Surgery scheduled for 8/29. Thanks all!!

It depends on what food stage you are in. check your surgeons plan to see what’s allowed. You will feel so much better after you get to real food stage.* hang in there*. You can get rid of the shakes when you can hit your Protein goal with real food. My instructions are old *laughing* what are your dieticians set protein goals???

First stages, I used natures best zero carb protein Water – 40 Grams protein and hydration all in one. It’s the texture is like Gatorade. Not thick like shakes. The sell single bottles at GNC. Test before you buy.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/product/isopurezerocarbrtd.html

22 hours ago, Lorelli65 said:

I'm a newbie but over 50 and could use some support :) Hope others will join in too.

Hi Lorelli65 - welcome!

2 hours ago, Sharlanay said:

Hi Sharlanay! There are lots of Protein fortified foods like Gelatin, Soup, drink mixes. I get these products at the surgery center but some are available on Amazon. I like Health Wise (soup and gelatin) and Proti-15 drink mixes. After you stomach heals more (about 3 months out) you can get more adventurous!

22 hours ago, Colorado Cowgirl said:

How long ago was that? I find myself craving carbs. My nutritionist wants me eating 1/4 cup a meal which is almost impossible. I feel that I need more than Protein all day long.

I was eating 'normal' balanced meals at 4 months - but just very small portions. If I felt like I needed a snack, I'd make sure that was Protein - like nuts or Greek yoghurt. My six month blood tests showed that I had no deficiencies. I take a Multivitamin, a Calcium tablet, an Iron drink and 4 sprays of B12 daily. (Mind you, your body might respond differently to mine!)

I am 50 and am in menopause , ugh the hot flashes at night while asleep keep waking me up !

I need to start building muscle, does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this from home? Thanks in advance !

Start with home items, a 48 oz can of Tomato juice in each hand, make these your first weights walk, walk, walk- cheap yet effective, summon up your courage, visit your local of nearby gym, like Church, you won't find just Saints there, still plenty of sinners looking a Better Way and a Life Change and I know they won't laugh at you. Mine didn't, I showed up in bike shorts, a tee shirt that said "DONT LAUGH- I Am Trying", a pair of lavender and grey cross-trainers on my feet, there were people who stopped and helped me learn the equipment and I was treated much better than any Family Reunion,i have been to recently. Give it a Try, nothing lost for the Effort, and YOU. just make new friends there, I know I did! 😛🚩😛

On 8/11/2019 at 5:57 AM, Tracyringo said:

does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this from home

google or youtube "counter top push ups"

they are a great way to start and you can do them anytime your in your kitchen

also look for office workouts to see ways to get in more exercise using your chair.

the key is to keep doing it everyday even if you dont see a difference right away.

i did the push ups every time i warmed my coffee in the microwave and i drink a lot of coffee so it adds up

I’m almost 52 and got my sleeve done 3 weeks ago. I’ve already lost approximately 17 lbs I.e 8kgs. I live in Dubai had have a very sedentary lifestyle. I would love to connect with people to stay motivated and not loose hope as I’m already finding it difficult to stick to the all liquids diet still.

Hi ladies! Question: I'm 58 years old, post-menapausal, and one year post-op. Have any of you started having hot-flashes again after weight loss? I hadn't had a hot flash for a couple of years, and now after losing 101 pounds, I'm having hot flashes again! Anyone else out there experience that too?

On 8/11/2019 at 5:57 AM, Tracyringo said:

I am 50 and am in menopause , ugh the hot flashes at night while asleep keep waking me up !

I need to start building muscle, does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this from home? Thanks in advance !

Hi Tracyringo, I have the same problem. My poor husband sleeps in a hoodie so I can stay cool in bed! In addition to a big fan in our bedroom, I have a small fan on my nightstand pointed at my head! I stay pretty comfortable with that extra little fan running.☺

On 8/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, Colorado Cowgirl said:

I'm over 60 and 4 months out. I'm bored with my meals which are almost exclusively Protein. Would love some others to chat with.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Colorado Cowgirl said:

How long ago was that? I find myself craving carbs. My nutritionist wants me eating 1/4 cup a meal which is almost impossible. I feel that I need more than Protein all day long.

All surgeons’ instructions are different. I have some questions on your real food stage plan.

• What is your calories intake at this point?
  • ¼ cup of food per meal and how many meals are you eating?
  • Did your dietician set a calorie, carbohydrate, fats goal?
  • do you log in a food app?
  • Besides Protein what other items are you allowed on your plan?
  • Real food stage. Have you added in veggies and fruit?

Some bariatric recipe sites for food ideas. (make sure they fit your plan)

https://bariatricmealprep.com/the-ultimate-bariatric-resource-guide/

On 8/11/2019 at 6:57 AM, Tracyringo said:

Amazon books – Women’s strength training from home

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=womens+strength+training+at+home&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

Bodybuliding.com

https://www.bodybuilding.com/category/women

https://www.bodybuilding.com/category/womens-workouts

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

https://www.bodybuilding.com/topic/full-body-workout