Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve after 50 (Senior Sleevers)

I'm over 60 and 4 months out. I'm bored with my meals which are almost exclusively Protein. Would love some others to chat with.

I was 50 when I had my sleeve - its worked out just fine.

I found that if I had much more Protein than anything else, I was constipated, so I have a more balanced diet now. I have some protein in every meal, but it might just be nuts in my muesli.

How long ago was that? I find myself craving carbs. My nutritionist wants me eating 1/4 cup a meal which is almost impossible. I feel that I need more than Protein all day long.

I'm over 65 and surgery is scheduled for early December...I'm already on a restricted diet for gout, so dealing with things I can't (shouldn't) eat is not new. However, Protein heavy food and Water is getting a little tiresome. Yes, I know it will be a permanent issue after the sleeve, but I love my veggies and fruit.

This step is drastic as we all know, but having been fat my whole life I'd like to see what it's like to be able to wear normal clothes, sit comfortably in a plane seat and not be greeted by friends as "Hey...big guy". Whatever my life expectancy is...I want that experience. Plus I'm tired of using a CPAP for my severe apnea.

Here's one on this topic. I know there is a huge thread about 50+ WLS peeps here. You just have to search for it. :)

Welcome!

2 hours ago, Colorado Cowgirl said:

I feel that I need more than Protein all day long.

Cowgirl try a spoonful of Real Peanut Butter it is very good at both making you feel full but also more satisfied than just a piece of Protein. I also found a slice of bacon did the same thing.

Thanks! Great suggestions. I love both.

Hello Everyone. I'm a newbie but on my way to gastric sleeve surgery 8/29/19. I just turned 60 and gave this surgery to myself as a gift. I know it's one of many tools and I'll have to really put the work in. I'm thankful for this site and forums to touch base with others who know how I feel. Best wishes to all on this journey. I'm sure I will be asking many questions.

3 hours ago, Colorado Cowgirl said:

I'm over 60 and 4 months out. I'm bored with my meals which are almost exclusively Protein. Would love some others to chat with.

Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Wineguy said:

I'm over 65 and surgery is scheduled for early December...I'm already on a restricted diet for gout, so dealing with things I can't (shouldn't) eat is not new. However, Protein heavy food and Water is getting a little tiresome. Yes, I know it will be a permanent issue after the sleeve, but I love my veggies and fruit.

This step is drastic as we all know, but having been fat my whole life I'd like to see what it's like to be able to wear normal clothes, sit comfortably in a plane seat and not be greeted by friends as "Hey...big guy". Whatever my life expectancy is...I want that experience. Plus I'm tired of using a CPAP for my severe apnea.

My husband gets bored easily so I have learned to be creative! I cook South Beach diet style for ideas on variety. I also supplement with Protein, Protein Shakes and fruit throughout the day to get in enough protein. That helps me allow "space" for veggies and healthy carbs at dinner.

I'm 54 and was sleeved almost 5.5 months ago. I have my 6 month post-op in 15 days. I've lost almost 74 pounds and I'm ok with that. I hope my PA is good with it as well. Others have lost more, but I need to just keep focusing on my journey. We got this!

I had a sleeve done when I was 33 and now I am 54 and having a revision Sept 16th. I am a little nervous because of my age but looking forward to all the positive physical changes that are coming!