Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with some suggestions please.

I had a gastric bypass 14 weeks ago which didn't go to plan and I had to have emergency surgery to repair my insides. I was left with a drain in for 6 week, which left me having to take antibiotics because it was leaking infection. Once the drain was removed I thought great I can start my new life. Unfortunately it hasn't turned out that way, as soon as I start to eat I feel sick, I go through the motions but nothing comes out this lasts between 5 minutes and 5 hours, I have even got anti sickness tablets which haven't helped

I feel and look like an old woman even though I'm only 52 because of this. I hate looking in the mirror because a gray faced woman looks back, I feel weary and very ill because of it. It doesn't matter what I eat because I get the same reaction every time. I've been so poorly my mum has stayed with me for 12 weeks.

I haven't had any follow up letters from my surgeon yet so I don't know who to talk to because my own doctor isn't clued up on it so doesn't know what to advise.

Thank you to anyone that reads this post and I hope someone can give me some advice on what to do next.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I'd talk to the surgeon who did your surgery. Getting sick right after you eat could be a stricture.

I was sick and couldn't tolerate anything but fluids for over 1 month. My surgeon was all over this I had to see him weekly. They said after 3 months if there wasn't any improvement I had to have a scope looking for ulcers or strictures. Also with any complication they said picture yourself as going backwards and start back at post open day 1. Best advice they had for every 1gm of Protein it equals 4 calories. So when you feel like carp it's because look at how many calories you had that day. They also changed meds on me I was taking omeprazole 2 a day and 300mg of Zantac at bedtime so there was no acid in my stomachs at all. Only concern for them was fluids and protein and just give your body time. Now I am 2.5 months out and still just about 45gms of protein a day and 1500cc of fluids a day. Your poor body went through hell with the infection you must have used up everything you had just to heal. No wonder you feel so weak and sick. So start back at square one and treat your pouch as a new born belly. Concentrate on fluids and protein amounts. Protein premier makes a clear Liquid Protein drink that's like 20gm a bottle so counts as fluids and protein. Some days I am lucky enough to get 2 down. I am so sorry you are going through this it's so hard to feel sick and tired all the time. Have you thought of a Gastroenterologist consult so they can go down and see if there is a fissure, strictures, ulcer? Good luck keep the site updated on how you are.....

Go to the ER when it's the worse. I assume after eating nothing comes out and you feel great pains? You want them to do an emergency CT scan with contrast to see if you have a leak, or abscess, or if you have a partial bowel obstruction. I'm sorry for your struggles. I've just been through something like that this past month and it's harrowing. Grey face, indeed. ((hugs)) Hang in there. It does get better!!!

6 hours ago, always said:

I was sick and couldn't tolerate anything but fluids for over 1 month. My surgeon was all over this I had to see him weekly. They said after 3 months if there wasn't any improvement I had to have a scope looking for ulcers or strictures. Also with any complication they said picture yourself as going backwards and start back at post open day 1. Best advice they had for every 1gm of Protein it equals 4 calories. So when you feel like carp it's because look at how many calories you had that day. They also changed meds on me I was taking omeprazole 2 a day and 300mg of Zantac at bedtime so there was no acid in my stomachs at all. Only concern for them was fluids and Protein and just give your body time. Now I am 2.5 months out and still just about 45gms of protein a day and 1500cc of fluids a day. Your poor body went through hell with the infection you must have used up everything you had just to heal. No wonder you feel so weak and sick. So start back at square one and treat your pouch as a new born belly. Concentrate on fluids and protein amounts. Protein premier makes a clear Liquid Protein drink that's like 20gm a bottle so counts as fluids and protein. Some days I am lucky enough to get 2 down. I am so sorry you are going through this it's so hard to feel sick and tired all the time. Have you thought of a Gastroenterologist consult so they can go down and see if there is a fissure, strictures, ulcer? Good luck keep the site updated on how you are.....

Thank you so much for your suggestions I am going to try going back and starting again.

I rang my nurse again today and left another message if I have no joy from her I'm going to see my GP.

I'm so glad you managed to get sorted out, fingers crossed it will work for me. I will update you in a few weeks.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my message, it's the first time I've ever asked for help but I'm so glad I did because I don't feel so alone now.

6 hours ago, always said:

I was sick and couldn't tolerate anything but fluids for over 1 month. My surgeon was all over this I had to see him weekly. They said after 3 months if there wasn't any improvement I had to have a scope looking for ulcers or strictures. Also with any complication they said picture yourself as going backwards and start back at post open day 1. Best advice they had for every 1gm of Protein it equals 4 calories. So when you feel like carp it's because look at how many calories you had that day. They also changed meds on me I was taking omeprazole 2 a day and 300mg of Zantac at bedtime so there was no acid in my stomachs at all. Only concern for them was fluids and Protein and just give your body time. Now I am 2.5 months out and still just about 45gms of protein a day and 1500cc of fluids a day. Your poor body went through hell with the infection you must have used up everything you had just to heal. No wonder you feel so weak and sick. So start back at square one and treat your pouch as a new born belly. Concentrate on fluids and protein amounts. Protein premier makes a clear Liquid Protein drink that's like 20gm a bottle so counts as fluids and protein. Some days I am lucky enough to get 2 down. I am so sorry you are going through this it's so hard to feel sick and tired all the time. Have you thought of a Gastroenterologist consult so they can go down and see if there is a fissure, strictures, ulcer? Good luck keep the site updated on how you are.....

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my message, it's the first time I've ever asked for help but I'm so glad I did because I don't feel so alone now.

How are you doing now?

My sleeve is scheduled for this coming Wednesday, so no advice to give.... however I want to express how sorry I am for all that u have gone thru. My thoughts and prayers r with u😉