Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any foods permanently off your safe list?

My surgeon said no soda ever. In some paperwork it says no nuts or nut butters for a year post RYN or before with caution. I see a lot of others here have Peanut Butter. I can have a 1/4 cup of nuts over the course of an hour and feel ok. Any specific food your MD said to avoid long term?

No carbonated drinks ever, no refined sugars/flours, stringy foods (like celery and citrus fruits). I have my own personal "no list" though that is much stricter.

My surgeon suggests no crunchy, crispy, cakey, carby things! As for never- sugar, carbonated beverages. Restrict rice, potatoes, bread.< br>
Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Surgeon had no list nor limits, he just said, try stuff out one by one and see if it agrees with you. He did say no NSAIDS, but we are talking food here...

Nutritionist said no Alcohol nor Carbonated drinks (I choose to drink them anyway, and nutritionist gives me sad, disappointed faces).

I say no bread, Pasta, rice.

Everyone says: Limit/watch the sugar.

I wasn't given a permanent 'no' list but anything with quickly absorbing sugar is a big no-no. Icrecream makes me dump so fast my head spins. Same with commercial hot-chocolate/mochas. Jams and refined carbs give me reactive hypos and I HATE them with a passion so I just avoid those permanently now. But I'm lucky I can do a bit of dark chocolate without too many problems, so that's my bit of naughtiness.

On 08/06/2019 at 17:07, ummyasmin said:

I wasn't given a permanent 'no' list but anything with quickly absorbing sugar is a big no-no. Icrecream makes me dump so fast my head spins. Same with commercial hot-chocolate/mochas. Jams and refined carbs give me reactive hypos and I HATE them with a passion so I just avoid those permanently now. But I'm lucky I can do a bit of dark chocolate without too many problems, so that's my bit of naughtiness.

I miss Ice cream SO bad. It’s just the time of year! Summer needs ice cream 🤣

10 minutes ago, NYJenn said:

I miss Ice cream SO bad. It’s just the time of year! Summer needs ice cream 🤣

Have you tried the lower cal/higher Protein "frozen desserts"? Not exactly ice cream, but close enough, and pretty yum...

No wheat, sugar, refined carbs, processed foods soda, coffee, or alcohol for me. Don't miss any of them.

No carbonated drinks, no alcohol.

Limit carbs pretty strictly.

Mine said that carbonation was fine that it was old science to avoid them BUT they gross me out now, even champagne so I avoid them. Old nut said use Protein Drinks but new one said never past the early weeks. Ice cream is too sweet tasting to me now but I love plain/sour froyo. The only thing that bugs my tummy is any kind of Gummy or any kind of candy, no dumping but just a slightly icky feel so I avoid them. I eat celery, nuts, everything with no problem (just in tiny portions).

there were lots of restrictions for the first weeks/month/year, but now - not really. I'm supposed to limit regular coffee to one cup a day, but I frequently go over that.

My surgeon says no carbonated beverages, I still do a little bit, just one a day. Of course I can’t drink regular or diet, only the zero soda like Coke Zero don’t make me sick. I am now lactose intolerant. High fat foods like sausage makes me dump. Sugar and even sweeteners make me sick. Then I also avoid straight out carbs. Anything fried makes me sick. I am 8 years out.

I wasn't given any restrictions, just told to use common sense.

I think things change though, after surgery, I couldn't stand pastry at all, made me feel so poorly but now, almost 16 months out, I can eat it. I couldn't eat sweets either without feeling icky but I can now, I think our stomachs evolve.