Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Price of meds. $$$$$

I had my pre op appt. today for surgery on Aug. 20. I have no pharmacy coverage for my insurance. He prescribed 4 meds. for post op. All in liquid form. Walmart price : $1,400.00! One for pain, one for nausea, one for acid reflux & one for prevention of gallstones. I told the pharmacy there was no way I could afford that & I would need to contact my doctor. He changed the 1st. three to tablets - to crush (much more affordable). The last one is $614 per mo. I need to take it for 6 mo. At that time he will remove my gallbladder. He wants to wait on that until that time due to the size of my liver. I spoke with his nurse & was told he said there was no other med. available. When I told her the price she said it was outrageous & she’d speak to him again. Anyone else have issues with their prices of meds? Ideas? I do have an appt. with a gastroenterologist this week & will talk to him also to see if he has something he could recommend to my surgeon.

My post op meds... pain, nausea and muscle relaxer were only $7.00

that's weird he wants to take out your gallbladder after having you on ursodiol for six months. Ursodiol greatly reduces your risk of gallstones. I'm wondering why he's even bothering if he's planning on taking out your gallbladder once you're done with the ursodiol (???).

fortunately, my insurance covers meds, so I just have a $5 (generic) or $15 (brand name) co-pay. $614 a month is nuts - although honestly, I'm not surprised.

is the acid reflux one omeprazole? You can get that over the counter (Prilosec). Some of the related ones you can get over the counter, too. The OTC versions are not cheap, but they may be cheaper than the prescribed ones. I'd check it out.

Nausea - I wouldn't think you'd need that for very long - maybe just the first few days. I wasn't on anything for nausea at all once I left the hospital

2 hours ago, Lynnem6 said:

I had my pre op appt. today for surgery on Aug. 20. I have no pharmacy coverage for my insurance. He prescribed 4 meds. for post op. All in liquid form. Walmart price : $1,400.00! One for pain, one for nausea, one for acid reflux & one for prevention of gallstones. I told the pharmacy there was no way I could afford that & I would need to contact my doctor. He changed the 1st. three to tablets - to crush (much more affordable). The last one is $614 per mo. I need to take it for 6 mo. At that time he will remove my gallbladder. He wants to wait on that until that time due to the size of my liver. I spoke with his nurse & was told he said there was no other med. available. When I told her the price she said it was outrageous & she’d speak to him again. Anyone else have issues with their prices of meds? Ideas? I do have an appt. with a gastroenterologist this week & will talk to him also to see if he has something he could recommend to my surgeon.

Have you tried using good rx app?

Wow, that’s expensive

11 hours ago, Lynnem6 said:

Is it Actigall?? It was close to 100 bucks a month for me, but that is insaaaaannneee. I was only on it for 2 months and it didn't help my gallbladder anyways and they had to do emergency surgery to remove it regardless. Why does he want you to take it if he's going to take the gallbladder out anyways? Maybe your liver will shrink in size well before the 6 months??

Edited by mousecat88

So, my Doctor switched all meds from liquid to pills. Pain med I will need to crush. Nausea med will dissolve on my tongue. 20 tablets were $97 at Walmart, but with a coupon found online (thanks to those of you who gave me that tip!!) I got for $21. I will need to open the capsules of Omeprezole for acid reflux. The $614 per month med for my gallbladder was Ursodiol. The doctor actually found capsules (which I will need to open) on Amazon as a generic OTC med. I ordered my 6 month supply for $87. He wants to wait on the gallbladder removal due to my liver size and some cirrhosis due to fatty liver. He said that with weight loss removal be easier. I spent 2 days in the hospital with pancreatitis in June. If my labs would not have come down he would have either have done the surgery at that time or at most with my upcoming Sleeve procedure. As the labs were much improved, he said he wants to do it in 6 mo.

Have you tried Walgreens Pharmacy ? I needed a Vitamin D prescription and my insurance would not cover it Walgreens have discounts that they can do for you . My script was around 100 bucks and they got it down to around $20 or less.

Have you tried importing them from other places?

I live in the Uk and am really shocked at the prices you pay in America. Over here, it costs me about £3 for any one bottle of quality multi vitamins/vitamin C /vitamin D etc for about a month to two month supply.

Surely it would make sense to import them?

just an example...

Boots vitamins

Holland and Barrett

Edited by Neversaynever

On 8/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, Lynnem6 said:

oosp realized this is an old post. hope things went well for you

Edited by TRAVELRN