Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m just about 2 weeks out of surgery now, and the only foods I’m allowed right now are essentially baby foods. I can have very soft scrambled eggs, refried Beans, and apple sauce, but I’m craving normal foods. Big time. At the top of the list today, I’m craving a giant bowl of salad with ranch. Yesterday all I was craving was sushi.
I feel like I’m going insane. I’m super happy with this gastric sleeve and have already lost 20 lbs since day of surgery, but I’m already having such a hard time not being able to eat the foods I want.
Have you gone through this? How did you make this better? Please help a girl out!

You are very lucky! I cant have anything other than broth, shakes,water pretty much and I was sleeved on the 23rd of July. I can move to pureed next week and am probably gonna buy baby food to be honest. I would love to have some eggs! Cravings are hard to deal with I agree I made dinner chicken and steak green Beans and garlic cheese toast and I got was free smells. Torture but I dont want to harm my new tummy and make it work digesting food before it is ready so I just drink more Water 😫

On 08/03/2019 at 16:09, MsCallieigh said:

You are very lucky! I cant have anything other than broth, shakes, Water pretty much and I was sleeved on the 23rd of July. I can move to pureed next week and am probably gonna buy baby food to be honest. I would love to have some eggs! Cravings are hard to deal with I agree I made dinner chicken and steak green Beans and garlic cheese toast and I got was free smells. Torture but I dont want to harm my new tummy and make it work digesting food before it is ready so I just drink more Water 😫

I had mine on the 22nd of July! I wonder why they haven’t moved you to the next step yet? My dietician said eggs right now is pretty normal at this point

2 hours ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

I’m just about 2 weeks out of surgery now, and the only foods I’m allowed right now are essentially baby foods. I can have very soft scrambled eggs, refried Beans, and apple sauce, but I’m craving normal foods. Big time. At the top of the list today, I’m craving a giant bowl of salad with ranch. Yesterday all I was craving was sushi.
I feel like I’m going insane. I’m super happy with this gastric sleeve and have already lost 20 lbs since day of surgery, but I’m already having such a hard time not being able to eat the foods I want.
Have you gone through this? How did you make this better? Please help a girl out!

I agree with @MsCallieigh, I also had surgery on 7/23 and am only allowed, Protein Shakes, broth and Water. Its hard! Everyday i wake up to the smell of bacon, eggs and biscuits... my husband has to eat.. I'm just happy i don't need to cook it.

I too just drink a Protein Drink or water and keep busy.. it's really hard but we can do this.

41 minutes ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

I had mine on the 22nd of July! I wonder why they haven’t moved you to the next step yet? My dietician said eggs right now is pretty normal at this point

Ya know every Dr. and nutritionist are different I've saw some people who could eat a week out. Regardless the struggle is real no matter where we are in our journey and I hope every day,hour,and minute gets better and the scale keeps dropping! Cravings so far are hard. They dont hit me until I have to cook or smell food sometimes. Hope it gets better for us all hang in there.

2 hours ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

I also was sleeved on the 22nd. My schedule is WK 1- Clear Liquids & broth. WK2 - Protein Shakes, cream Soups (no lumps) WK3 & 4- pureed food. Fat-free gravies, SF pudding, low fat ricotta, small curd cottage cheese.

WK 5-skinless chicken breast, fish filet, turkey...

So far, I'm over-lapping weeks 1 & 2. I'm staying with clear liquid most of the day, with a shake for 1 meal. I haven't been feeling hungry, so I'm not going to rush it.

2 hours ago, Sharon B A said:

I agree with @MsCallieigh, I also had surgery on 7/23 and am only allowed, Protein Shakes, broth and Water. Its hard! Everyday i wake up to the smell of bacon, eggs and biscuits... my husband has to eat.. I'm just happy i don't need to cook it.

I too just drink a Protein Drink or Water and keep busy.. it's really hard but we can do this.

My surgery was July 30 and Tuesday I start full liquids, my doctor includes cream Soups, if spun to make chunks gone, loose grits, oatmeal, mash potatoes. Someone said Tomato Soup upsets the stomach. They didn't mention baby food.

5 minutes ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

My surgery was July 30 and Tuesday I start full liquids, my doctor includes cream Soups, if spun to make chunks gone, loose grits, oatmeal, mash potatoes. Someone said Tomato Soup upsets the stomach. They didn't mention baby food.

I'm gonna have baby food for the pureed stage. The containers small and they have a variety of choices.

4 hours ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

Me too! I move to the pureed stage (with soft scrambled eggs) tomorrow!

6 hours ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

Hang in there! I feel you...I get mind hungry from commercials! I operate on the notion that I definitely don't want to go back to the ER....

I absolutely craved all the fresh veggies from my garden, but was not allowed to have any (even cooked to mushy) until 8 weeks. Pure torture! But I followed orders. My doc did not want any roughage to irritate the new surgical sites. I just kept telling myself, "This, too, shall pass." And it did.

This is going to be a lifetime commitment to healthy foods, not just the few weeks until you can have solid food again. You have to get through the head hunger and focus on what you're eating. Stick with Protein.

Head hunger sucks. Drink Water when a craving hits. Avoid commercials. I would mute TV and close my eyes. I broke up with food TV. I also used to get up and walk during commercials. Lots o' walking going down. It gets better with time. Hang in there and follow your doc's plan!! You can do this.

One of my favorite purees (at least allowed on my plan) was ricotta bake (google eggface ricotta bake). I could eat it on puree, but it tasted and felt like real food. i added pureed spinach to mine and it was delicious. I still eat this all the time 9 months out

Also, for your veggie fix, I loved pureed spinach and pureed sweet potatoes.

Edited by notmyname