Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dreaded full liquid diet



Recommended Posts

I’m having RNY on August 14. Today begins day 4 of the full liquids diet. The nutritionist told me many patients say this is the hardest part and I can see why. My stomach is upset, my sleep is interrupted and my mood is... hangry. She said by day 5 I should start to lose my appetite, which will make it easier. I’ve noticed I associate physical hunger with something really, really awful.

But I was thinking... for those of you who have had surgery.... do you feel like 2 weeks on the liquid diet helped you better mentally prepare for life AFTER surgery in any way? I was thinking that might be another benefit to this preop diet... so that it’s not just one day having surgery and then BOOM not eating. Also... I mean... I get to see right now what it’s like to not have food to cope with life. As opposed to after surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AnnieD78 said:


But I was thinking... for those of you who have had surgery.... do you feel like 2 weeks on the liquid diet helped you better mentally prepare for life AFTER surgery in any way?

Absolutely!

Plus it really kickstarts your weightloss too. You'll be on liquids post op and your compliance before and after can set you up mentally for success because it proves (if only to yourself) your level of endurance and seriousness about it all.

Also dont forget the main reason for the preop liver shrink: to male sure your liver is soft, small and pliable enough to move during surgery without the risk of ot breaking tearing or puncturing.

If it is not, your surgeon may decide to close up and rescheduled surgery until it is... No one wants that.

Good Luck 💜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure about that - we didn't have any pre-op diet, and didn't really miss "getting used to" post op liquids - you don't really feel like anything else for a while. Now, I can understand that with some programs that impose post op liquids for an extended time - many weeks for some - that one may have to get used to their "new normal", but for us is was mostly just a transitory thing that we used as we needed as we progressed into soft and mushy things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2019 at 09:21, GreenTealael said:





Absolutely!




Plus it really kickstarts your weightloss too. You'll be on liquids post op and your compliance before and after can set you up mentally for success because it proves (if only to yourself) your level of endurance and seriousness about it all.




Also dont forget the main reason for the preop liver shrink: to male sure your liver is soft, small and pliable enough to move during surgery without the risk of ot breaking tearing or puncturing.




If it is not, your surgeon may decide to close up and rescheduled surgery until it is... No one wants that.




Good Luck 💜


I’m definitely trying to focus on the purpose of it. I’m just sooooooo hungry. And I feel like I can’t go anywhere or do anything bc my stomach is a mess and everything out in the world revolves around food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by the hospital to do a diet of 2 cups of vegetables , and 4 slimfast a day . but I hear everyone talking about the pre- op liquid diet 🤔Is that what most people’s are doing ? I’ve been doing it now for nearly 4 weeks , because my surgery was cancelled on 25th July because of the extreme heat here , and they told me to carry on with the liver shrinkage diet until I went in again . Sometimes I get hungry but surprised how I could do it .l

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2019 at 13:58, PEGGO said:



I was told by the hospital to do a diet of 2 cups of vegetables , and 4 slimfast a day . but I hear everyone talking about the pre- op liquid diet 🤔Is that what most people’s are doing ? I’ve been doing it now for nearly 4 weeks , because my surgery was cancelled on 25th July because of the extreme heat here , and they told me to carry on with the liver shrinkage diet until I went in again . Sometimes I get hungry but surprised how I could do it .l


I honestly think it’s different for different programs. The diet is different and then the length they make you do it is different, too. Some people say there’s is 2 shakes and 1 meal a day. Mine is just Protein Shakes, broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine will be full "clear" liquids starting August 19th - 1 week. broth, sugar free pop sickles, gatorade, Water, sugar free Jello, etc. I'm totally excited & ready. WE CAN DO THIS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The diet varies from program to program. I’m in the middle of my 2 week pre-op which is very low carbs (less than 20g/day), high Protein (120g/day). I only have to do Clear Liquids the last 24 hours prior to my surgery on 8/12. I felt pretty rough the first couple days, but feeling ok now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AnnieD78 said:

I’m having RNY on August 14. Today begins day 4 of the full liquids diet. The nutritionist told me many patients say this is the hardest part and I can see why. My stomach is upset, my sleep is interrupted and my mood is... hangry. She said by day 5 I should start to lose my appetite, which will make it easier. I’ve noticed I associate physical hunger with something really, really awful.

But I was thinking... for those of you who have had surgery.... do you feel like 2 weeks on the liquid diet helped you better mentally prepare for life AFTER surgery in any way? I was thinking that might be another benefit to this preop diet... so that it’s not just one day having surgery and then BOOM not eating. Also... I mean... I get to see right now what it’s like to not have food to cope with life. As opposed to after surgery.

Oh, Yes!! It helped me. I found it to be SO much easier. I lost 10 lbs in those 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I remember having the dreaded headache and just being tired from lack of calories, but otherwise the 7 day liquid diet wasn’t that difficult. I felt empowered, like I was taking the next big step toward my surgery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My surgeon wants me to do a 3 week liquid diet pre-op. I am really dreading this. I do not have my surgery date yet. I do not know how I will get through the liquid diet but I am determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tis why I've stocked up on Protein powders because I know I'll be living off liquids a while preop and post op so may as well get used to it before you actually have surgery then wake up and can't swallow anything but liquids anyway for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started the pre-op diet 3 weeks ago , but then my surgery was cancelled at the last minute because of the extreme heat here, and my surgeon wanted me to carry on with it. So my surgery is now on 12th August .I was surprised at how easy I found it to do . Having said that, I think it was much easier than Ive heard on here. It sounds like most people have to do just liquids . Mine is 4 Slimfast and 2 cups of vegetables a day. Does anyone else do this ?

Anyone here from England ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pookeyism

      I'm going in for a sleeve revision October 4th. It worked well for me, and I am not back to my starting weight. However, a revision is strongly encouraged at this time (there are additional medical issues). I have decided to forgo the insurance process, even though I know I would eventually be approved. "Eventually" is the key issue here. I have a small window to create this to where it will not impact my work or home life as much, and waiting for the insurance approval would take over a year.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      I just read @BoredCW's status post and also want to lament the loss of my butt.  Looking at me the side, my back is basically flat from my neck to my knees.  My jeans have lovely fabric folds draping from my backside from lack of filling.
      Two days ago, I was sitting on a worn couch at the gym and I could feel the springs and count how many I was sitting on.  Told the Kid and she said she wants to find her childhood alphabet fridge magnets in the basement to spell out words and have me sit on them and do some "butt-braille-reading" 😂
      · 4 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        HI-LAR-ious! I love your kid!!!

        Yeah, we all suffer from noassatall syndrome. :(

      2. 2Bsmaller18

        Yes. I think the spandex in jeans is the only thing that helps keep the sag below the pockets form looking ridiculous. Even leggings wrinkle there.

      3. ms.sss

        Ah, our disappearing collective butts.

        I am seriously considering changing my plastics plan. I am booked for an arm lift in December, but my summer obsession with arm exercises has improved the look of them quite a bit to the point that I think I may hate my butt more than my arms. Should I do a butt lift instead?!?! In conjunction with?!?!?

        I am trying to cultivate an obsession with butt exercises but its not working so far...

      4. 2Bsmaller18

        I don't think you could do both at the same time. For me personally it's arms. I have granny wrinkles down to my elbows. I can always dover my body with tshirts, pants, etc but unless I wear long sleeves my arms are an issue. I also can't wear a small enough jacket since it fits everywhere but too tight in the arms. They measure around 13.5 inches. Can you compromise and get the smaller arm lift. I don't know if that saves much $ or recovery but if your arms improved that much maybe just a tweek will work?

    • BoredCW

      On the 3 week plateau from hell.. It seems like an endless desert with sand dunes that represent the 1-2 pounds gain then dropped from day to day. Met with my weight loss group tonight and was told its normal. That this is sometimes like a step, plateau then drop, plateau then drop. Only for the plateau's to go on longer the farther away from the surgery date I get. Much like EDM, I can't wait for the drop. 
      On top of it all, I lost my ass. Seriously.. its gone. All that cushion that I enjoyed lounging on eating what ever I ate, watching what ever was on the computer or tv... is gone. That glorious support system is vamoosed. I know this because my ass (tailbone) hurts all the time. I'm sitting on bone now and its sore. I am my own literal Pain in the Ass! (My family would say whats new, but who cares about them.. my butt hurts.) I have yet to bring a pillow with me everywhere I go to sit on, but I'm getting ready to as I sit for my job working on computers. So far losing the weight is a Pain. I hope it gets better. 
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Hang in there, the plateau will end eventually. Also I feel you on the butt thing.

      2. FluffyChix

        I have a butt pillow. I'm not proud. :D

        The plateaus suck!!!! Keep the faith and motor on!

    • Ellf

      In a bit of a stall right now.   267-269 lbs the past week.   Almost wrote that as "367-369".   
      Still 158 lbs. lighter than my heaviest.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×